Onward Christian soldiers

Cypress

New House Speaker Thinks Creationist Museum Is 'Pointing People To The Truth'

An ark replica with dinosaurs "is one way to bring people to this recognition ... that what we read in the Bible are actual historical events,” Mike Johnson said.

Before arriving in Washington less than a decade ago, House Speaker Mike Johnson, a deeply religious Christian, was a legal crusader associated with a fringe evangelical movement called “young Earth creationism,” based on a literal reading of the Bible’s Book of Genesis that posits the Earth is only several thousand years old.

In the mere hours since Johnson was elected speaker Wednesday, he hadn’t had to address his views on creationism and evolution. But his close ties to a leader of the creationist movement and his past legal work — on behalf of the Ark Encounter creationist theme park, where children can learn that dinosaurs were passengers on Noah’s Ark — seem to suggest that he’s also personally aligned with these beliefs.

“The Ark Encounter is one way to bring people to this recognition of the truth, that what we read in the Bible are actual historical events,” Johnson said in a 2021 interview with Ark Encounter founder Ken Ham while*guest-hosting the radio show*of Tony Perkins, president of the Family Research Council, an evangelical activist group.

I don't think Islam, Judaism, or Buddhism build entertainment theme parks to grift off the stories in their sacred texts.

An ark replica with dinosaurs "is one way to bring people to this recognition ... that what we read in the Bible are actual historical events,” Mike Johnson said.

Before arriving in Washington less than a decade ago, House Speaker Mike Johnson, a deeply religious Christian, was a legal crusader associated with a fringe evangelical movement called “young Earth creationism,” based on a literal reading of the Bible’s Book of Genesis that posits the Earth is only several thousand years old.

In the mere hours since Johnson was elected speaker Wednesday, he hadn’t had to address his views on creationism and evolution. But his close ties to a leader of the creationist movement and his past legal work — on behalf of the Ark Encounter creationist theme park, where children can learn that dinosaurs were passengers on Noah’s Ark — seem to suggest that he’s also personally aligned with these beliefs.

“The Ark Encounter is one way to bring people to this recognition of the truth, that what we read in the Bible are actual historical events,” Johnson said in a 2021 interview with Ark Encounter founder Ken Ham while*guest-hosting the radio show*of Tony Perkins, president of the Family Research Council, an evangelical activist group.

Nothing in the Bible says the earth wasn't created from material . rocks and fossils etc., that was already here.

Nothing in the Bible says the earth wasn't created from material . rocks and fossils etc., that was already here.

I am dubious of the cognitive reasoning abilities of anyone who believes in young Earth creationism, like the leader of your party in Congress apparently does

As a Christian I want to flat out say that Mr. Johnson is cuckoo for cocoa puffs.

From what I saw around here the last couple of days, we are not allowed to speak of Johnson's bizarre beliefs or we are "leftists attacking Christianity." In fact, we can't even mention his "pray away the gay" anti-SSM and anti-gay rights positions, either, for the same reason. And if we question whether he actually adopted a Black teenager decades ago, we are racist.

But yeah sure, it's the Left that wants to stifle free speech. :rolleyes:

If you do, please take a picture of the "ABSOLUTELY NO LAUGHING OUT LOUD" signs. lol

I plan on being very respectful when I visit the Ark Experience and the Creation Science Museum.

The armchair anthropologist in me wants to take in the experience clinically, the same way an entomologist studies bugs.

I plan on being very respectful when I visit the Ark Experience and the Creation Science Museum.

The armchair anthropologist in me wants to take in the experience clinically, the same way an entomologist studies bugs.

Maybe they’ll have a recording of Bill Cosby doing his Noah routine at the Ark exhibit.

From what I saw around here the last couple of days, we are not allowed to speak of Johnson's bizarre beliefs or we are "leftists attacking Christianity." In fact, we can't even mention his "pray away the gay" anti-SSM and anti-gay rights positions, either, for the same reason. And if we question whether he actually adopted a Black teenager decades ago, we are racist.

But yeah sure, it's the Left that wants to stifle free speech. :rolleyes:

If someone wants to believe the Earth is six thousand years old, is perfectly fair to ask their line of reasoning that leads to that belief.

Strict biblical literalism is only theologically correct in fundamentalist Protestantism, so this can't be an attack on the world Christian tradition.

I am dubious of the cognitive reasoning abilities of anyone who believes in young Earth creationism, like the leader of your party in Congress apparently does

I have long figured it would come to this at some point. Honestly thought it would take a lot longer.

Whatever we have come our way, though, we richly deserve.

If someone wants to believe the Earth is six thousand years old, is perfectly fair to ask their line of reasoning that leads to that belief.

Strict biblical literalism is only theologically correct in fundamentalist Protestantism, so this can't be an attack on the world Christian tradition.

Exactly. It is also commentary, which as far as I've been able to determine is still legal, on one particular political person's beliefs and actions relating to those beliefs. Time will tell if this clown tries to shove his religion down our collective throats via legislation.

Back