Oregon Is Recriminalizing Drugs. Here’s What Portland Learned.

anonymoose

Classical Liberal
Oregon’s governor has signed a measure to reimpose criminal penalties for hard drugs. Mayor Ted Wheeler of Portland talks about why the experiment “failed.”
“ There’s no question that what Oregon did was a bold experiment, and it failed. Let’s just be honest about that. It was botched in terms of the implementation. The timing was wrong, and frankly, the politics were wrong.”-Ted Wheeler
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/01/us/oregon-drug-law-portland-mayor.html

duh

Oregon’s governor has signed a measure to reimpose criminal penalties for hard drugs. Mayor Ted Wheeler of Portland talks about why the experiment “failed.”
“ There’s no question that what Oregon did was a bold experiment, and it failed. Let’s just be honest about that. It was botched in terms of the implementation. The timing was wrong, and frankly, the politics were wrong.”-Ted Wheeler

duh

You mean decriminalizing hard drugs had a down side?????? Who could have predicted that!?

I think decriminalizing drugs was worth a try. We should always try to maximize freedom and learn from mistakes, if you call this a mistake. It really comes down to how much people are willing to tolerate to maximize freedom.

Another example of giving one political party enough rope and they’ll hang themselves with it.

The problem is they destroy more than just themselves. If the destruction was limited to just them no one would care but they destroy everything in their wake.

The problem is they destroy more than just themselves. If the destruction was limited to just them no one would care but they destroy everything in their wake.
True but at least it’s mostly confined to their own cesspools mostly. Mostly.

duh

Burnside Avenue is a land of Zombies and the criminals that prey upon them.

The free market is immortal. You can't kill it, even if you convert it into a black market.

we have interest rates set by a central entity

we have a social safety net preventing addicts from hitting a true bottom as forced charity kicks in

but into the fallacy says the free market is alive and well

derp derp

No. There are people around these Zombie Zones that live in homes and try to run businesses. What of them?
I was last in Pottyland about 20 years ago. One would've had to be just plain stupid to buy a house in that area even back then.
I once had a bidness in a cesspool called New Orleans once upon a time only because that's where I grew up. Sometimes ya just gotta cut bait and move on.
I left in '91 thinking it couldn't get worse. It did. Much worse. It's just plain stupid to think dims are gonna actually make even a feeble attempt to improve their human sewers.

we have interest rates set by a central entity

we have a social safety net preventing addicts from hitting a true bottom as forced charity kicks in

but into the fallacy says the free market is alive and well

derp derp

The free market is immortal. You can't kill it, even if you convert it into a black market.
There is no such thing as forced charity.

I was last in Pottyland about 20 years ago. One would've had to be just plain stupid to buy a house in that area even back then.
I once had a bidness in a cesspool called New Orleans once upon a time only because that's where I grew up. Sometimes ya just gotta cut bait and move on.
I left in '91 thinking it couldn't get worse. It did. Much worse. It's just plain stupid to think dims are gonna actually make even a feeble attempt to improve their human sewers.

And that's exactly what's happening. People are fleeing these hellholes and trying to find a better life elsewhere.

But some cannot afford to, and some are trying to still make a legitimate living there.

Ok. Explain how so.

addiction becomes a much larger problem when you prevent addicts from seeing how far they have fallen

actual freedom requires personal responsibility. you can't have one and not the other.

these states allowed for individuals to make poor choices, but refused to expose people to the actual responsibilities for those poor choices.

There is no such thing as forced charity.

I'm forced to pay for other people all the time against my will

you claim forced charity doesn't exist, but my eyes say you are full of shit

Back