Oregon Is Recriminalizing Drugs. Here’s What Portland Learned.

You mean decriminalizing hard drugs had a down side?????? Who could have predicted that!?

The problem wasn't the "decriminalization", the problem was that it was rolled out as an effort to HELP people on drugs find treatment but none of the infrastructure was put in place to ensure that it was going to be done.

It's like when America decided to close down all the mental hospitals. The "promise" was that community centers would be put in place to take care of these people but funding for THAT never materialized leaving us with mentally ill people and no place for them to be helped in any way. So our homeless populations of the mentally ill exploded. NOT because we weren't horrible enough to the mentally ill but rather because we only did HALF THE WORK.

Drug criminalization is a fraught topic and other experiments will have to be undertaken because simply throwing people in jails for drug abuse doesn't appear to be "winning the war on drugs" in any real way.

. I have NO IDEA what point you're trying to make, if any.
N.O is part of a shithole state that has been under the thumb of Republicans for more than a decade. Some policies are made at the local level, but most important ones are made at the state level. In NY, the NYC crime debacle is due in large part to a horrible change to bail regulations. In an attempt to fix the results of the heinous decades long 'stop/frisk' laws, they went way too far in the opposite direction. NYC is powerless to fix it, just as N.O would be powerless to change many issues due to state regulations.
Wouldn't that be true anywhere in the world?
No. Gentrification takes care of that nicely.

hence I was specifically talking about before they were addicts. reading is critical. (some addicts would of not even become addicts if they weren't already given so much aid.)

Also, as I pointed out, some addicts do quit - when they hit rock bottom. so you batted 0-2 in your reply

Oh, I see. Their free stuff made it easier to become addicts.

Then, you double down on stupid, including shit grammar (would of) to predict whether they would have become addicts otherwise.

I rarely agree with Yakuda, but in this case he’s correct. You don’t know shit about addiction.

Oregon’s governor has signed a measure to reimpose criminal penalties for hard drugs. Mayor Ted Wheeler of Portland talks about why the experiment “failed.”
“ There’s no question that what Oregon did was a bold experiment, and it failed. Let’s just be honest about that. It was botched in terms of the implementation. The timing was wrong, and frankly, the politics were wrong.”-Ted Wheeler
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/01/us/oregon-drug-law-portland-mayor.html

duh

Close to thirty developed nations worldwide have decriminalized drugs, dozen more about to, it is not an out of the blue approach, Oregon tried it and decided it wasn’t for them, got to give them some credit for looking for answers rather than existing with the status quo

Is the change because of the deaths related to tainted drugs?

You're asking the wrong person. I don't deal drugs so there's no way for me to know.
It was just plain stupid to allow open air drug use. That's common sense and that's about all I know about the subject. Even Wheeler admits it was bad wrong politics. Imagine that.

Oh, I see. Their free stuff made it easier to become addicts.

Then, you double down on stupid, including shit grammar (would of) to predict whether they would have become addicts otherwise.

I rarely agree with Yakuda, but in this case he’s correct. You don’t know shit about addiction.

derp

N.O is part of a shithole state that has been under the thumb of Republicans for more than a decade.
I don't know what you mean by 'under the thumb' but their govs tend to oscillate between d and r.
Some policies are made at the local level, but most important ones are made at the state level.
I assume you're saying policies have made La. a shithole state. What policies are you referring to? I referred to the decriminalization of open drug use in the OP.
In NY, the NYC crime debacle is due in large part to a horrible change to bail regulations. In an attempt to fix the results of the heinous decades long 'stop/frisk' laws, they went way too far in the opposite direction.
Good that you identified a bad policy, as I did w/ Oregon.
NYC is powerless to fix it, just as N.O would be powerless to change many issues due to state regulations.
So what policies did the State of Louisiana shove on to N.O. to make it such a festering cesspool?

Oregon has made the possession of some hard drugs punishable by up to 180 days in jail. The program started during the COVID-19 epidemic and never got off and running.
They will still have the option of referring users to treatment.

Back