Our world might be a simulation. Would that be so bad?

BidenPresident

Verified User
Chalmers argues that ongoing advances in technology — especially in virtual reality and computer simulation — are eventually going to make the scary stories told around seminar tables about dreams and simulacra into real possibilities. After all, I don’t need to imagine a demiurgic deceiver, as Descartes did, if (or when) it becomes possible to plug a person into a truly real-seeming virtual world. Once that happens, another question follows: Could I have somehow slipped into a simulated world without noticing?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outl...lity-review-simulation-hypothesis-philosophy/

Artificial Intelligence proves that we can literally create conscious machines.

Chalmers often returns to a set of questions that he thinks inevitably arise once we grant the soundness of the simulation argument. These include the “knowledge” question (If I were tricked into a simulation, would I know the difference between this virtual world and the real thing?), the “reality” question (Is virtual reality somehow incomplete or second-rate relative to the original?) and the “value” question (How could I live a “good,” meaningful or just life in virtual reality?).

Gabby Petito is an interesting story.

"What did Gabby Petito do for a living?
What did Gabby Petito do for a living? Petito was trying to establish herself as a travel influencer on social media and intended to document her journey with her followers. She had been working as a pharmacy technician to save for her trip, according to The New York Times."
https://www.myimperfectlife.com › features › who-is-gab..

All happy and smiles when the camera is on. How do you go from that to having your boyfriend strangle you to death?

I think about reality often. Especially during 2020. What's the difference between reality and imaginative truth? That's a bit different than living in a simulation of course. I don't believe we do, but I can almost see it. And no, I don't think you'd know it.

Living in a 'virtual' world.

"What is the Goddess Filter? The Goddess Filter is going viral on TikTok and Instagram right now, and it does exactly what it says – makes you look like a Goddess! When applied, the beauty filter smooths and tans your skin, brightens your eyes and adds subtle silver sparkles all over the screen.May 8, 2021"
https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/05/08/goddess-filter/

this is a bunch of fucking nonsense that has nothing to do with to do with an interesting topic, you crap up every thread to the point I put you on Legion's level.

Our Founding Fathers gave us our secular and temporal Constitution for even modern times. What is not covered by our original Constitution and Ten simple Amendments?

I think about reality often. Especially during 2020. What's the difference between reality and imaginative truth? That's a bit different than living in a simulation of course. I don't believe we do, but I can almost see it. And no, I don't think you'd know it.

Leibniz invented the concept of possible worlds. There are an infinite number of actual worlds existing simultaneously. So, there is not one real world.

Chalmers argues that ongoing advances in technology — especially in virtual reality and computer simulation — are eventually going to make the scary stories told around seminar tables about dreams and simulacra into real possibilities. After all, I don’t need to imagine a demiurgic deceiver, as Descartes did, if (or when) it becomes possible to plug a person into a truly real-seeming virtual world. Once that happens, another question follows: Could I have somehow slipped into a simulated world without noticing?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outl...lity-review-simulation-hypothesis-philosophy/

Artificial Intelligence proves that we can literally create conscious machines.

Let's say 'our world' is a simulation. Does that mean 'our Lives' are already 'programmed'?

And ... who are the Programmers?

Let's say 'our world' is a simulation. Does that mean 'our Lives' are already 'programmed'?

And ... who are the Programmers?

First, I don't think our world is a simulation. But if it was, there would be no way to find out. On the other hand, from Plato, to God, to the Matrix, many myths exist about there being a true and absolute reality.

Back