Our world might be a simulation. Would that be so bad?

Chalmers argues that ongoing advances in technology — especially in virtual reality and computer simulation — are eventually going to make the scary stories told around seminar tables about dreams and simulacra into real possibilities. After all, I don’t need to imagine a demiurgic deceiver, as Descartes did, if (or when) it becomes possible to plug a person into a truly real-seeming virtual world. Once that happens, another question follows: Could I have somehow slipped into a simulated world without noticing?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outl...lity-review-simulation-hypothesis-philosophy/

Artificial Intelligence proves that we can literally create conscious machines.

There is a twenty percent chance we live in a computer simulation:

> https://www.justplainpolitics.com/s...n-a-computer-simulation&p=4795419#post4795419

The fact that quantum physics demostrates that the fabric of reality is quantized and discrete, and not continuous and smooth seems vaguely to suggest to me we live in a digital reality.

First, I don't think our world is a simulation. But if it was, there would be no way to find out. On the other hand, from Plato, to God, to the Matrix, many myths exist about there being a true and absolute reality.

Yeah. The Eternal Search. For 'Reality'.

I don't think it is either. But if it was a 'simulation', somebody would have to be 'at the Controls'.
And, that may mean we have 'NO CONTROL' over our Destiny.

Yeah. The Eternal Search. For 'Reality'.

I don't think it is either. But if it was a 'simulation', somebody would have to be 'at the Controls'.
And, that may mean we have 'NO CONTROL' over our Destiny.

Even if that were true, it would have no consequence. We would do everything the same way.

Go back to ancient greek myths and tragedies. Destiny shapes our lives and we can do nothing about it.

Well, if you believe 'everything' is pre-ordained.

Which is better:
1. Living a Life you feel totally in charge of?
2. Living a Life you feel is totally not your responsibility?

I don't think the world is totally determined.

Either way, it would be totally fucked to believe that.
You would be resigned to 'your station in life'.
There would be no 'motivation' to attempt much of anything.

Now, having said that ... I do think we are stuck with the 'Roll of the Dice' DNA we are handed. :(

Either way, it would be totally fucked to believe that.
You would be resigned to 'your station in life'.
There would be no 'motivation' to attempt much of anything.

Now, having said that ... I do think we are stuck with the 'Roll of the Dice' DNA we are handed. :(

No one can fly. So nature gives us a lot of determinations. That said, some in science saying we have no freedom at all is absurd.

No one can fly. So nature gives us a lot of determinations. That said, some in science saying we have no freedom at all is absurd.

:) I guess it's what you want to believe.
It's like that Saying: "If you think you can, you can, and if you think you can't, you can't. Either way, you're right".

Perceptions can be inaccurate.

That's true. But what else do we have to go on?

Have you seen 'Free Guy'? (no, I won't post a Video)

"When a bank teller discovers he's actually a background player in an open-world video game, he decides to become the hero of his own story -- one that he can rewrite himself. In a world where there's no limits, he's determined to save the day his way before it's too late, and maybe find a little romance with the coder who conceived him."

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/free-guy-movie-review-2021

Back