Pakistani troops reportedly fire on US helicopters

Socrtease

Verified User
By ISHTIAQ MAHSUD, Associated Press Writer
2 hours, 23 minutes ago

DERA ISMAIL KHAN, Pakistan - Pakistani troops and tribesmen opened fire on two U.S. helicopters that crossed into the country from neighboring Afghanistan, intelligence officials said Monday.

The helicopters did not return fire and re-entered Afghan airspace without landing, the officials said.

Pakistan's army and the U.S. military in Afghanistan said they had no information on the reported incursion late Sunday, which will likely add to tensions between Islamabad and Washington.

A spate of suspected U.S. missile strikes into Pakistan's border region and a raid by U.S. commandos said to have killed 15 people have angered and embarrassed Pakistani leaders while signaling Washington's impatience with Pakistani efforts to clear out militant havens.

During a recent speech to Parliament, newly elected President Asif Ali Zardari, who is considered U.S.-friendly, warned that no country would be allowed to violate Pakistan's sovereignty in the name of the war on terror.

Zardari is on his way to New York to attend the U.N. General Assembly, and he is expected to meet President Bush.

The two intelligence officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to media.

They said informants in the field told them of the incursion around one mile inside the disputed and poorly demarcated border in the Alwara Mandi area in North Waziristan, a tribal region the U.S. considers a sanctuary for Taliban and al-Qaida fighters.

A week ago, U.S. helicopters reportedly landed near Angoor Ada, a border village in nearby South Waziristan, but returned toward Afghanistan after troops fired warning shots.

A Pakistani military spokesman said last week that troops had orders to open fire in case of another cross-border raid by foreign troops.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080922/ap_on_re_as/as_pakistan_us

2 hours, 23 minutes ago

DERA ISMAIL KHAN, Pakistan - Pakistani troops and tribesmen opened fire on two U.S. helicopters that crossed into the country from neighboring Afghanistan, intelligence officials said Monday.

The helicopters did not return fire and re-entered Afghan airspace without landing, the officials said.

Pakistan's army and the U.S. military in Afghanistan said they had no information on the reported incursion late Sunday, which will likely add to tensions between Islamabad and Washington.

A spate of suspected U.S. missile strikes into Pakistan's border region and a raid by U.S. commandos said to have killed 15 people have angered and embarrassed Pakistani leaders while signaling Washington's impatience with Pakistani efforts to clear out militant havens.

During a recent speech to Parliament, newly elected President Asif Ali Zardari, who is considered U.S.-friendly, warned that no country would be allowed to violate Pakistan's sovereignty in the name of the war on terror.

Zardari is on his way to New York to attend the U.N. General Assembly, and he is expected to meet President Bush.

The two intelligence officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to media.

They said informants in the field told them of the incursion around one mile inside the disputed and poorly demarcated border in the Alwara Mandi area in North Waziristan, a tribal region the U.S. considers a sanctuary for Taliban and al-Qaida fighters.

A week ago, U.S. helicopters reportedly landed near Angoor Ada, a border village in nearby South Waziristan, but returned toward Afghanistan after troops fired warning shots.

A Pakistani military spokesman said last week that troops had orders to open fire in case of another cross-border raid by foreign troops.

Good its time they showed some balls.... If you hadnt noticed Pakistan is a soverign country....

Oh ya your from the US which means your allowed to invade other countries with no preconditions...Assholes...

CK

2 hours, 23 minutes ago

Well, we'd fire on any military helicopter venturing into our space, so I don't really see how we can complain...but then, I am not a Republican?

Obama said if elected in November 2008 he would be willing to attack inside Pakistan with or without approval from the Pakistani government.

Welcome to Obama/Biden/Bush/neocon foreign policy.

... and there ain't a damn thing the American public can/will do about it.

It's all about Americans being dumb as rocks.

Well that too. But in the not too distant future protecting our oil supply will be acceptable to the majority of Ameircans because we deserve it and those muslims do not. they just all want to kill us anyway.

Well that too. But in the not too distant future protecting our oil supply will be acceptable to the majority of Ameircans because we deserve it and those muslims do not. they just all want to kill us anyway.

Yup, putting our oil under arab sand was the only mistake God made.

Well, we'd fire on any military helicopter venturing into our space, so I don't really see how we can complain...but then, I am not a Republican?

As soon as the Pakistani's hit one .. we'll be at war .. THREE wars at the same time with NO CHANCE of winning any of them.

As soon as the Pakistani's hit one .. we'll be at war .. THREE wars at the same time with NO CHANCE of winning any of them.

Yeah, I think that is so. Bac, we are pretty much fucked now, no matter what happens. Don’t pretend that voting third party is going to do anything ok? Let’s face it – it’s too late. This ship is going down, it’s over.

I think that the 2000 election is going to end up having been the most pivotal election in our history. That was the one. It’s gone. It’s over.

I think that the 2000 election is going to end up having been the most pivotal election in our history. That was the one. It’s gone. It’s over.

You said it! That election was HUGE, in so many ways. I still get crazed when I think of Naderites saying there was no difference between the candidates.

At least for our lifetimes, the Bush years will resonate, and in a very negative way. Beyond that, I don't know, but I do think it was a history-altering election. They'll trace the beginning of our end as a superpower back to the butterfly ballot in FL.

You said it! That election was HUGE, in so many ways. I still get crazed when I think of Naderites saying there was no difference between the candidates.

At least for our lifetimes, the Bush years will resonate, and in a very negative way. Beyond that, I don't know, but I do think it was a history-altering election. They'll trace the beginning of our end as a superpower back to the butterfly ballot in FL.

Considering climate change, they may trace more than that back, but I agree with you.

About 40% of the people who voted for Nader said they would have voted for Gore from exit polls, and 33% said they would have voted for Bush (not exact numbers, I pulled them from memory). Assuming that the threat of all the others to not vote if he wasn't on the ballot turned out to be true (which I doubt, it's more like that most of the people who voted that way were leftists trying to justify not going for Gore), then the Naderites still could have won the election for Gore. Think about how different a place America would be right now with Gore as president. It's a little bit chilling.

"Think about how different a place America would be right now with Gore as president. It's a little bit chilling"

I think about it now & again, and it is chilling, and sad, because it was so close.

What's even more chilling is the # of Americans who seem oblivious to the consequences of their decisions, and are ready to keep it all going w/ McCain because his running mate is a hockey mom who loves mooseburgers. The stupidity continues to boggle my mind.

About 40% of the people who voted for Nader said they would have voted for Gore from exit polls, and 33% said they would have voted for Bush (not exact numbers, I pulled them from memory). Assuming that the threat of all the others to not vote if he wasn't on the ballot turned out to be true (which I doubt, it's more like that most of the people who voted that way were leftists trying to justify not going for Gore), then the Naderites still could have won the election for Gore. Think about how different a place America would be right now with Gore as president. It's a little bit chilling.

Yeah it is, and I don't buy the theory that Mossad was going to kill Gore to make Lieberman president so he could initiate a nuclear war against the entire middle east, either.

"Think about how different a place America would be right now with Gore as president. It's a little bit chilling"

I think about it now & again, and it is chilling, and sad, because it was so close.

What's even more chilling is the # of Americans who seem oblivious to the consequences of their decisions, and are ready to keep it all going w/ McCain because his running mate is a hockey mom who loves mooseburgers. The stupidity continues to boggle my mind.

I can't get over the moose burger and moose stew thing. How many Americans eat moose? I must live in another country. Here, pretty much everybody eats arugula, and moose? Not really a menu item.

Yeah it is, and I don't buy the theory that Mossad was going to kill Gore to make Lieberman president so he could initiate a nuclear war against the entire middle east, either.

Please please please bring me up to speed on that.

Back