Paris Olympics

Hawkeye10

ButterMilk Man
Contributor
This has a high probability of being a train wreck.

I'll Start:

Team USA has confirmed that it will bring its own air conditioning units for American athletes to use in their rooms in the Olympic Village at the Paris 2024 Summer Olympics. The news came after games organizers said no AC would be provided in the accommodation.

The Paris Summer Olympics organizing committee has been determined to cut the carbon footprint of the massive sports event in half compared to previous Olympics. To do that, the Paris 2024 Committee told CBS News it had used "innovative, eco-focused cooling solutions" to keep the rooms athletes will sleep in cool for the games, which kick off on July 26.

Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo told Reuters the nations considering bringing their own air conditioning should "trust the science."

Paris 2024 will break new ground by bringing the sporting competition into the heart of the city, and the same will be true for the Opening Ceremony, which will take place in the heart of Paris along the Seine river.

The parade of athletes, which traditionally takes place within a stadium, will be held on the Seine, with boats for each national delegation equipped with cameras to allow viewers watching on TV and online to get a close-up view of all the action.

Winding their way from east to west, the 10,500 athletes will cross the centre of Paris - the main home of the Games, where they will showcase their sporting prowess over the following 16 days. Throughout the Opening Ceremony, athletes will appear on stage alongside performers in line with Paris 2024’s goal of hosting a Games that is created for and by the athletes.

The parade will end its 6 km route in front of the Trocadéro, where the final elements of the ceremony and the celebratory shows will take place.

In a major first, the Opening Ceremony will be open to a large audience with no admission fee for most of the spectators in the upper quays. Those wishing to watch the ceremony from the lower quays from the Austerlitz bridge to the Iéna bridge will be required to purchase tickets.

Hundreds of thousands of spectators will have the chance to attend the festivities. Some 80 giant screens and strategically placed speakers will allow everyone to enjoy the magical atmosphere of this show, which will reverberate throughout the French capital.

The Opening Ceremony of the Paris 2024 Summer Olympics will be the largest held in the history of the Games. It will be open to all: local residents from Paris and its surrounding region, along with visitors from all over France and around the world.

I have a bad feeling about this.

Would you want to swim in the Sienne ??
That is a high controversy....this river is normally nasty. There is a plan to clean it up but I dont get the sense that many have confidence that it will work.

There is also a organized effort to have people poop in it as an act of protest.

Does not sound promising.

Last edited:
Sunday was supposed to be the date Paris mayor Anne Hidalgo would swim in the Seine to prove the water was clean enough for Olympic athletes - but she delayed the dip until after the French elections in July.

President Emmanuel Macron has also promised to swim in the Seine before the Games, but has not said when.

I'm not fond of the idea...I like tradition, as you may have noticed...And they're not going to get that river to the point where it's safe enough to swim in...no way...They better start looking for a new location...yesterday...
I suspect that this will end up as a case study in not understanding risk, but also the danger of ideology....the things done to reduce carbon foot print need to work.

Are these rooms deprived of AC to save the planet going to be cool....are they going to effect sleep and thus performance....do the organizers care?

It would be dangerous to swim there...I think it's banned for quite some time... far too much pollution...they better have a plan B...
So far they are refusing, they are saying that they will do it come Hell or high water.

I suspect that this will end up as a case study in not understanding risk, but also the danger of ideology....the things done to reduce carbon foot print need to work.

Are these rooms deprived of AC to save the planet going to be cool....are they going to effect sleep and thus performance....do the organizers care?
They apparently don't care...Proper accommodations and a safe environment for the events shouldn't even be in questions...for any reason....

They apparently don't care...Proper accommodations and a safe environment for the events shouldn't even be in questions...for any reason....
The olympics have a shit ton of problems already, making the participants miserable in the service of save the planet ideology does not seem like a great idea.

The olympics have a shit ton of problems already, making the participants miserable does not seem like a great idea.
It's a huge responsibility to accept the contract as a host city...
did Paris not get it? You can't endanger the best athletes in the world...

They have to do demand testing...any signs of toxins, any algae, any sewage...athletes should just refuse to participate...
I think right now they are doing the FantasyLand Creature "It will work! It will Work!, IT WILL WORK!"

All we need is positive thinking and enough solidarity.

I think right now they are doing the FantasyLand Creature "It will work! It will Work!, it will WORK!"

All we need is positive thinking and enough solidarity.
I'm all for positivity until it endangers the health and welfare of human beings...

Back