President Bush, October 2002

LadyT said:
No, no doubt at all
The more intelligent and effective the response, the more likely it is that some of the more militaristic wackos will label it "appeasement" or "defeat" or "cutting and running."

;)

I love it when these neocons praise Reagan as their demi-God and conveniently forget that he is the ULTIMATE cut and runner....

his running away from Beirut without so much as an attempt to get any retribution from Hezbollah for the 250 dead marines is inexcusable

maineman said:
I love it when these neocons praise Reagan as their demi-God and conveniently forget that he is the ULTIMATE cut and runner....

his running away from Beirut without so much as an attempt to get any retribution from Hezbollah for the 250 dead marines is inexcusable
According to books written on the subject, the problem wasn't the will it was the knowledge. At that time they were unsure exactly who had done the deed... A more foolish man would have begun something prematurely based on faulty evidence, a more wise man waited for more information and recognized his own mistake.

maineman said:
spin spin spin....Reagan cut and run. Just fucking deal with it.
It is actually the number 1 thing that you'll find Rs to mention that they didn't like about Reagan. The list of likes is far longer, but you'll hear that one often.

I'm consistent: Reagan made the right call redeploying out of lebanon. There was no vital national security interest at stake, and staying there would just create more enemies of the United States.

Its the same reason I support redeployment out of Iraq.

And hezbollah is a regional player with regional goals. The only reason they attacked the united states was our involvment in lebanon in the 1980s, and our support of the Israeli occupation of southern lebanon in the 19902. In short, if we stay out of lebanese affairs, we won't have a problem with hezbollah.

Cypress said:
I'm consistent: Reagan made the right call redeploying out of lebanon. There was no vital national security interest at stake, and staying there would just create more enemies of the United States.

Its the same reason I support redeployment out of Iraq.

And hezbollah is a regional player with regional goals. The only reason they attacked the united states was our involvment in lebanon in the 1980s, and our support of the Israeli occupation of southern lebanon in the 19902. In short, if we stay out of lebanese affairs, we won't have a problem with hezbollah.

I agree wholeheartedly. I just get sick of republicans calling Murtha a cut and run traitor while simultaneously deifying Reagan when he did the exact same thing.

Back