Presidential Rankings

I just finished reading a book on Grover Cleveland called A Man of Iron. TBH, I wasn't really familiar with him and am not exactly sure why I purchased it. But nonetheless, I did. It was really fascinating because the author argued he was a great President while not having a great Presidency.

I actually have no idea where Cleveland ranks historically but after reading the book I feel like that is besides the point as his character and the way he conducted himself would put him at the very top of President's in that regard.

I could reasonably argue that Thomas Jefferson was a mediocre president. He got the nation in its first war, the quasi war with France. He totally destroyed US national defense trying to turn the navy into a volunteer service of little gunboats, while trashing what little professional army the US had. He was a one-term president for a reason. At the time people wanted some more competent as president.

That's one example of how bad these ratings can be.

I've never had my ass handed to me and you can't show me one instance where that has ever happened.

But feel free to prove me wrong.

Balls in your court now.

Let’s see.

You were wrong on the white supremacists. They were IN the auditorium armed, not just on the property.

The building housed a licensed daycare, where it is illegal to have firearms.

You claimed Trump wasn’t mentioned in my first link. He was. Listed as 41, 42, 43 and 44.

The second link has him down with the very worst presidents. EVER. #43. Can’t get much lower than that.

Checkmate

W is in some ways worse than Trump.

He led us to war in Iraq for absolutely no good reason. He lied about WMD.

Let’s see.

You were wrong on the white supremacists. They were IN the auditorium armed, not just on the property.

The building housed a licensed daycare, where it is illegal to have firearms.

You claimed Trump wasn’t mentioned in my first link. He was. Listed as 41, 42, 43 and 44.

The second link has him down with the very worst presidents. EVER. #43. Can’t get much lower than that.

Checkmate

Well then provide us a link for that or we will know you are talking out of your ass again.

The first thing probably to acknowledge about presidential rankings is that there are different ways to do it, notably between their qualities as president versus events as president. There are great variations in how to do it.

With a couple exceptions, by any reasonable approach trump would be bottom for me, and Bush 43 likely 2nd from bottom. Though comparisons since 1793 get tricky.

More than a few of you are so fuckking stupid that you deserve every bit of what is coming.

Gulping down the cum that power jams down your throat, still...In 2023.

I can barely imagine being that low wattage.

Fuck You!

I don’t put too much of an emphasis on Presidential rankings. We’ve had a few truly great Presidents and a few truly bad ones and the rest in between have set a very good record for governance.

Mostly when someone ranks Presidents it’s a reflection of their own personal values as opposed to the historical significance and long term impact of their policies.

A good example of this is the popularity of Calvin Coolidge with Libertarian. Coolidge believed that the Presidency and that the Presidency Federal authorities on domestic affairs should be limited. Which fits in well with libertarian values and thus he is popular amongst those who have strong libertarian beliefs.

U.S. Grant is another example. If you’re a neo-Confederate he would probably be ranked dead last in your book. If you’re of an egalitarian bent Grant, as President, ranks significantly higher for his work on reconstruction, civil rights, creating the Justice Department, his destruction of the first iteration of the KKK and the precedents he established as President that was the beginning of the end of the spoils system that led to our modern Civil Service.

Again, that boils down to a reflection of your values.

There is no question that once Trump is found guilty of a number of the crimes he committed during his presidency that he will go to dead last in every poll regardless of anyone's "values". Being twice impeached and attempting to overthrow our democracy is kinda hard to beat. The historians know that the only reason we had some decent economic indicators during his presidency is because the guy before left them for him.

image1.jpg
image2.jpg

The first thing probably to acknowledge about presidential rankings is that there are different ways to do it, notably between their qualities as president versus events as president. There are great variations in how to do it.

With a couple exceptions, by any reasonable approach trump would be bottom for me, and Bush 43 likely 2nd from bottom. Though comparisons since 1793 get tricky.

Yes and regardless of how you do the ranking Trump will always be at or extremely close to the bottom. You don't get high marks from anyone but the fucking dipshits for being impeached twice and racking up nearly 100 felonies while president. (The only crime that he did not commit WHILE president was when he raped that woman in a dept store dressing room.)

As time goes by Biden will go nowhere but up and he's already in the top 20 in some rankings. He got us out of a war and we snapped back from the pandemic much quicker than anywhere else in the world. That alone will cause his number to rise.

Last edited:
The best rating Trump got in those surveys was 41. Can’t get much shittier than that.

In the days before the the republicans despised democrats you could get a ranking above 50%, that no longer happens. Today if you get 55% approval you are doing Fantastic! It doesn't matter if you are a fantastic president, if you are a democrat all the republicans will say you suck and you will get around 50%. Forty percent is fine.

When it comes time to vote Biden will crush Trump like a bug. That 40% will vote for him and half the remaining 60% will vote for him just to avoid having the fucking criminal. That's 70% and a landslide.

In the days before the the republicans despised democrats you could get a ranking above 50%, that no longer happens. Today if you get 55% approval you are doing Fantastic! It doesn't matter if you are a fantastic president, if you are a democrat all the republicans will say you suck and you will get around 50%. Forty percent is fine.

When it comes time to vote Biden will crush Trump like a bug. That 40% will vote for him and half the remaining 60% will vote for him just to avoid having the fucking criminal. That's 70% and a landslide.

I don’t think Trump has even 40% anymore. And with the trials, it shouldn’t improve at all.

There is no question that once Trump is found guilty of a number of the crimes he committed during his presidency that he will go to dead last in every poll regardless of anyone's "values". Being twice impeached and attempting to overthrow our democracy is kinda hard to beat. The historians know that the only reason we had some decent economic indicators during his presidency is because the guy before left them for him.

View attachment 25485
View attachment 25486

I don’t know. It would be difficult for even Trump to beat Buchanan who was guilty of significantly higher acts of treason than Trump.

Back