Public wary of interrogation probe

We have prosecuted and convicted our own for using waterboarding in the past.

Now go and read WHY they are releasing these new Photos and maybe you will learn something.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=15886834

During the Spanish-American War, a U.S. soldier, Major Edwin Glenn, was suspended from command for one month and fined $50 for using "the water cure." In his review, the Army judge advocate said the charges constituted "resort to torture with a view to extort a confession." He recommended disapproval because "the United States cannot afford to sanction the addition of torture."

snip

In the war crimes tribunals that followed Japan's defeat in World War II, the issue of waterboarding was sometimes raised. In 1947, the U.S. charged a Japanese officer, Yukio Asano, with war crimes for waterboarding a U.S. civilian. Asano was sentenced to 15 years of hard labor.

"All of these trials elicited compelling descriptions of water torture from its victims, and resulted in severe punishment for its perpetrators," writes Evan Wallach in the Columbia Journal of Transnational Law.

On Jan. 21, 1968, The Washington Post ran a front-page photo of a U.S. soldier supervising the waterboarding of a captured North Vietnamese soldier. The caption said the technique induced "a flooding sense of suffocation and drowning, meant to make him talk." The picture led to an Army investigation and, two months later, the court martial of the soldier.

Last edited:
That's because much of the Code doesn't necessarily apply during military operations, which are governed under rules of engagement set up by the command chain. You're attempting to apply civil requirements to a military situation. I realize that this is the Liberal Template but it doesn't make legal or practical sense.

And again, water boarding enemy combatants ain't torture.

Hmmm . . . let's see here. First, the CIA isn't the military and is subject to US law. Second, well, here is Maj. Gen. Taguba (Ret.):

WASHINGTON — The Army general who led the investigation into prisoner abuse at Iraq's Abu Ghraib prison accused the Bush administration Wednesday of committing "war crimes" and called for those responsible to be held to account.

The remarks by Maj. Gen. Antonio Taguba, who's now retired, came in a new report that found that U.S. personnel tortured and abused detainees in Iraq, Afghanistan and Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, using beatings, electrical shocks, sexual humiliation and other cruel practices.

"After years of disclosures by government investigations, media accounts and reports from human rights organizations, there is no longer any doubt as to whether the current administration has committed war crimes," Taguba wrote. "The only question that remains to be answered is whether those who ordered the use of torture will be held to account."

Taguba, whose 2004 investigation documented chilling abuses at Abu Ghraib, is thought to be the most senior official to have accused the administration of war crimes. "The commander in chief and those under him authorized a systematic regime of torture," he wrote.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/staff/warren_strobel/story/41514.html

yes, it is. you're flat out wrong. If you'd like, i'll be happy to perform some waterboarding on you so you can determine it from a fresh perspective.
Isn't that cute, taking it to the personal level. What's next- insult my mother?

The dictionary does not lie.

Hmmm . . . let's see here. First, the CIA isn't the military and is subject to US law. Second, well, here is Maj. Gen. Taguba (Ret.):

Again, that is merely your non-professional opinion, as well as the opinion of a retired General. If he had balls he would have stepped up while he was active. Apparently now he's looking for his 15 minutes.

Getting back to the dictionary definition- water boarding doesn't meet it. Nor is it used for sadistic pleasure, but to save lives. Its a good technique and a pity to have to throw that away for partisan reasons.

maybe you're comfortable and happy being made to feel like you're drowning and can't do anything to stop it, but I'm damned confident that that particular feeling meets this definition,

1 a: anguish of body or mind

That isn't all. Now this administration is going to release alleged prison abuse photos. It was in the LA Times. Can you imagine what's going to happen? They are nuts....stark raving mad.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-interrogate24-2009apr24,0,4199113.story

Read this and you will know why they are being released.

I know you want to pretend they are doing it on a whim but they are doing because of the laws of this country.

The decision comes as President Obama is trying to quell a drive to investigate Bush-era practices, which was spurred in part by his release last week of Justice Department memos detailing the Bush administration's legal justifications for harsh interrogations. But the photos and other possible disclosures stemming from the ACLU lawsuit threaten to stoke the controversy.

maybe you're comfortable and happy being made to feel like you're drowning and can't do anything to stop it, but I'm damned confident that that particular feeling meets this definition,

1 a: anguish of body or mind

I suppose you could piece out the definition to suit your argument, but definition 1a relies on 1b for clarity: "...b: something that causes agony or pain".

Otherwise someone could consider taxation to be torture.

The fact that this will ignite the ME is pretty damn stupid and irresponsible.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-interrogate24-2009apr24,0,4199113.story

Read this and you will know why they are being released.

I know you want to pretend they are doing it on a whim but they are doing because of the laws of this country.

The decision comes as President Obama is trying to quell a drive to investigate Bush-era practices, which was spurred in part by his release last week of Justice Department memos detailing the Bush administration's legal justifications for harsh interrogations. But the photos and other possible disclosures stemming from the ACLU lawsuit threaten to stoke the controversy.

And pour on gasoline for the heck of it...

Maybe someone should have thought about all this stuff before authorising it, photographing it and lying about it before attempting to justify it by "necessity".

Altogether now "we don't torture and photographs of us doing it are just not fair"

Botox Pelosi's lies that she was never briefed on these interrogation techniques are coming back to haunt her. YeeeeeHawwwww. Too cool.

Maybe someone should have thought about all this stuff before authorising it, photographing it and lying about it before attempting to justify it by "necessity".

Altogether now "we don't torture and photographs of us doing it are just not fair"

Back