Religious intolerance in the GOP

You're denying they are "white". I continue to disagree even if you agree that "white" is a cultural concept, not a genetic one.

The story below points out how both the genetics and cultures become blurred and best spoken about in percentages.....unless you believe in the "one drop of blood" theory.

Recent data on Ashkenazi Jews: https://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-ashkenazi-jews-dna-diseases-20140909-story.html
All of the Ashkenazi Jews alive today can trace their roots to a group of about 330 people who lived 600 to 800 years ago.

So says a new study in the journal Nature Communications. An international team of scientists sequenced the complete genomes of 128 healthy Ashkenazi Jews and compared each of those sequences with the others, as well as with with the DNA of 26 Flemish people from Belgium. Their analysis allowed them to trace the genetic roots of this population to a founding group in the Middle Ages.

“Ashkenaz” in Hebrew refers to Germany, and Ashkenazi Jews are those who originated in Eastern Europe. (Sephardic Jews, by contrast, are from the areas around the Mediterranean Sea, including Portugal, Spain, the Middle East and Northern Africa.) About 80% of modern Jews have Ashkenazi ancestry, according to the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. Albert Einstein was an Ashkenazi Jew, as were Gertrude Stein and Carl Sagan. Steven Spielberg and Scarlett Johansson are also Ashkenazi Jews, along with three current members of the U.S. Supreme Court (Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Stephen Breyer and Elena Kagan).

Despite their close ties with Europe, no more than half of their DNA comes from ancient Europeans, the researchers found. Only 46% to 50% of the DNA in the 128 samples originated with the group of people who were also the ancestors of the Flemish people in the study. Those ancient people split off from the ancestors of today’s Middle Easterners more than 20,000 years ago, with a founding group of about 3,500 to 3,900 people, according to the study.

The rest of the Ashkenazi genome comes from the Middle East, the researchers reported. This founding group “fused” with the European founding group to create a population of 250 to 420 individuals. These people lived 25 to 32 generations ago, and their descendants grew at a rate of 16% to 53% per generation, the researchers calculated.

Today there are more than 10 million Ashkenazi Jews around the world, including 2.8 million in Israel, according to the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.

The authors of the new study come from nearly two dozen research groups in New York City, Belgium and Israel. Many of the co-authors are not Jewish, but they are interested in studying this group because it is genetically isolated (since Jews have historically married within their faith, their gene pool is closed). That makes it easier to identify genes linked to specific diseases, like Parkinson’s and cancer, links that could well apply to non-Jews as well.

The study was funded by the National Institutes of Health and the National Science Foundation, along with several private foundations.

Fascinated by genetics? Follow me on Twitter @LATkarenkaplan and “like” Los Angeles Times Science & Health on Facebook.

Sure, but whiteness is not the same as the Caucasoid race. Two different concepts.

I don't believe in the one drop theory. In fact, I don't really think any person on Earth is 100% any race or ethnic ancestry. What matters, in a cultural and political sense, is the experience people are likely to have. An Irish guy with 5% African ancestry is going to have the white experience, so he's white. A guy who is half European and half African is going to have the black experience, so he's black.

Race is not determined by DNA. You're white if you get out the shower to pee and return a missing wallet to its owner. You're black if you love violent criminals and you vote for free stuff without knowing what a Bolshevik is.

DNA and skeletal remains can both identify race.

That's the point of using the term "race" since it's a general label and not always correct...unless you believe in the "one drop of blood rule" then all bets are off.

DNA can reveal their ancestor's general origin, but not the culture or social identity of the body. The DNA of an American may identify them to be of Central European descent but not whether they're a kind, Christian father of three or Head Clown of a hate group. A person's religion or politics is not in their DNA.

I disagree, heavily.

VMAT2 the God gene predicts religion.

Racism is predicted by Oxytocin.

Conservatives are predicted by the Amygdala.

Sure, but whiteness is not the same as the Caucasoid race. Two different concepts.

I don't believe in the one drop theory. In fact, I don't really think any person on Earth is 100% any race or ethnic ancestry. What matters, in a cultural and political sense, is the experience people are likely to have. An Irish guy with 5% African ancestry is going to have the white experience, so he's white. A guy who is half European and half African is going to have the black experience, so he's black.

Which is the point: Caucasoid is genetics, "white" is cultural.

Which is the point: Caucasoid is genetics, "white" is cultural.

Europeans have a lot of ANE genes including R1a & R1b haplogroups from Mal'ta boy types called Ancient North Eurasians.

Europeans have a lot of WHG or Villabruna genes including I2A haplogroup from people like Cheddar Man.

It is highly unlikely those 2 are even very Caucasian.

The introduction of Near-Easterners the Basal rich including J1, J2, G & I1a haplogroups is what makes Europeans look more Causasian.

The reason why Eastern Europeans look more semi-Asiatic, is because we have have less Near-Eastern genes, on the whole, and more genes from Arctic Eurasia.

Genes below showing such.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Bdb4NeWKG7EkpKMzZJVW2_MME/edit#gid=2002805772

Last edited:
It is not my party. The lack of diversity in the Republican party has nothing to do with the religious intolerance and the number of members of Congress elected by each religious group. Two separate issues. I'm sure Republicans would be happy if Buddhists, Muslims, Jews, and Hindus voted for them.

Explain what causes the Republican Party to be nearly monochromatic and virtually all Christian -- for decades running.

No way that kind of long standing and glaring lack of diversity happens in a vacuum and is entirely independent of cause-effect relationships.

You're denying they are "white". I continue to disagree even if you agree that "white" is a cultural concept, not a genetic one.

The story below points out how both the genetics and cultures become blurred and best spoken about in percentages.....unless you believe in the "one drop of blood" theory.

Recent data on Ashkenazi Jews: https://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-ashkenazi-jews-dna-diseases-20140909-story.html
All of the Ashkenazi Jews alive today can trace their roots to a group of about 330 people who lived 600 to 800 years ago.

So says a new study in the journal Nature Communications. An international team of scientists sequenced the complete genomes of 128 healthy Ashkenazi Jews and compared each of those sequences with the others, as well as with with the DNA of 26 Flemish people from Belgium. Their analysis allowed them to trace the genetic roots of this population to a founding group in the Middle Ages.

“Ashkenaz” in Hebrew refers to Germany, and Ashkenazi Jews are those who originated in Eastern Europe. (Sephardic Jews, by contrast, are from the areas around the Mediterranean Sea, including Portugal, Spain, the Middle East and Northern Africa.) About 80% of modern Jews have Ashkenazi ancestry, according to the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. Albert Einstein was an Ashkenazi Jew, as were Gertrude Stein and Carl Sagan. Steven Spielberg and Scarlett Johansson are also Ashkenazi Jews, along with three current members of the U.S. Supreme Court (Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Stephen Breyer and Elena Kagan).

Despite their close ties with Europe, no more than half of their DNA comes from ancient Europeans, the researchers found. Only 46% to 50% of the DNA in the 128 samples originated with the group of people who were also the ancestors of the Flemish people in the study. Those ancient people split off from the ancestors of today’s Middle Easterners more than 20,000 years ago, with a founding group of about 3,500 to 3,900 people, according to the study.

The rest of the Ashkenazi genome comes from the Middle East, the researchers reported. This founding group “fused” with the European founding group to create a population of 250 to 420 individuals. These people lived 25 to 32 generations ago, and their descendants grew at a rate of 16% to 53% per generation, the researchers calculated.

Today there are more than 10 million Ashkenazi Jews around the world, including 2.8 million in Israel, according to the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.

The authors of the new study come from nearly two dozen research groups in New York City, Belgium and Israel. Many of the co-authors are not Jewish, but they are interested in studying this group because it is genetically isolated (since Jews have historically married within their faith, their gene pool is closed). That makes it easier to identify genes linked to specific diseases, like Parkinson’s and cancer, links that could well apply to non-Jews as well.

The study was funded by the National Institutes of Health and the National Science Foundation, along with several private foundations.

Fascinated by genetics? Follow me on Twitter @LATkarenkaplan and “like” Los Angeles Times Science & Health on Facebook.

I had a Jewish teacher, who said Jews were White, but thought Jews were entitled to Israel too.

They want their cake & want to eat it too.

Based on the premise of the OP, Democrats are obviously intolerant of some religious groups also:

Members of Congress

Pentecostal 2R 0D
Restorationist 1R 0D
Holiness 1R 0D
Mormon 8R 2D

Of course, both premises are silly.

Yep, the Democratic Party tends to be inhospitable to white evagelicals and theocrats. Some individual Democrats are even intolerant of white, bible thumping fundamentalists.

Honesty is easy, is it not?

Now can you please explain what causes the Republican Party to be nearly monochromatic and virtually all Christian -- for decades running?

No way that kind of long standing and glaring lack of diversity happens in a vacuum and is entirely independent of cause-effect relationships

Mormons, Evangelicals, and large numbers of Protestants (Methodists, Presbyterian). Catholics are only 7% more Democratic than Republican.

I don't disagree with that you said, but you disagreed with something I did not say.

My claim is that showing Democrats have 2 Buddhists, 3 Muslim, and 3 Hindu members of Congress in itself illustrates nothing about religious intolerance. If it did we could equally say the few number of Democratic Mormons and Evangelicals shows an intolerance of Democrats toward those groups.

Correct. It really blows that RW nut job "Godless Liberal atheist" theory, doesn't it?

Sorry, just trying to get clarification on a person's stance.

Good point about the "intolerance" goes both ways. 'Bigoted" is not much better, but "ideologically indifferent" is about as good as it gets.

Example: after the debacle of the 2012, the Republican Party commissioned the "https://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/RNCreport03182013.pdfGrowth and Opportunity Project" AKA the Republican Autopsy. The four month, $10M project was released by RNC Chairman Priebus and then blown off in favor of "squeaky wheel" groups.

The Republicans had a golden opportunity to favorably turn one of the largest demographics in the US that is religious, traditional and family-oriented: Hispanics. Instead, the Republicans let Trump call them rapists, drug smugglers and criminals.

Now can you please explain what causes the Republican Party to be nearly monochromatic and virtually all Christian -- for decades running?

1) Because most other people want free stuff rather than freedom. The Democrats are the party of free stuff.

2) Because Democrats fan the flames of hatred against white Christians. It's like if there's a no-whites allowed organization next to an everyone-welcome organization, the no-whites allowed organization will be the "diverse" one, even though they're the only intolerant organization.

Any other questions?

Explain what causes the Republican Party to be nearly monochromatic and virtually all Christian -- for decades running.

No way that kind of long standing and glaring lack of diversity happens in a vacuum and is entirely independent of cause-effect relationships.

My first reaction is that most non-Christian groups are newer immigrants who are usually at the bottom of the economic ladder. Those groups tend to navigate toward Democrats (although I think Hindus have the highest income of any religious group).

Yep, the Democratic Party tends to be inhospitable to white evagelicals and theocrats. Some individual Democrats are even intolerant of white, bible thumping fundamentalists.

Honesty is easy, is it not?

Yes, we agree on a point I made earlier. Both parties are intolerant toward various religious groups.

Mr. Mason, by what measure do you conclude that someone is a fake Christian? I absolutely agree, the Republican party is full of fake Christians. A Christian is a follower of Jesus who taught that Jews are the spawn of Satan and that they'll burn in Hell. How many Republican Christians believe Jesus? Hell, you don't even have heard Jesus to know Jews are the spawn of Satan.

Bobb ,king of misinterpretation

Back