Republicans... Who do you think will run if Trump is convicted on any charge?....

Damocles

Accedo!
Staff member
Do you think the Trump campaign will survive any conviction of any of these charges? What if he's convicted of election tampering for putting forward false electors in the January 6th fiasco, for example? Would you expect him to be replaced on the ticket if he somehow had been selected to be the candidate before his conviction?

Is there any conviction that would be enough to make you demand he walk away from the race?

Do you think the Trump campaign will survive any conviction of any of these charges? What if he's convicted of election tampering for putting forward false electors in the January 6th fiasco, for example? Would you expect him to be replaced on the ticket if he somehow had been selected to be the candidate before his conviction?

Is there any conviction that would be enough to make you demand he walk away from the race?

I know this isn't directed at me but at this point if you're all in on Trump nothing is likely to change it. (It is a very interesting and relevant question to ask)

I'm not a Republican, but I know the answer. Trump will run. Nothing will sway the cult. Jim Jones has nothing on Trump.

1) I know this is an open thread but Desh responding to a question directed at Republicans might be peak JPP

2) I am curious what others on the right here think

3) Anecdotal but I read a college football board that often discusses politics and this board was full of #MAGAs base. Many of these folks are over Trump and supporting DeSantis. The ones that do support Trump are pretty much all-in.

I have long been thinking that it is likely that the 14th amendment will be used to prevent Trump from being a candidate, that it will not be up to either Trump or the people. .

Not a good answer unless you want to lose.

You think Trump is the only Republican who can beat Biden?

(God help this country if that is the case. FWIW, DeSantis or Scott would wipe the floor with Biden. Trump = 4 more years of Biden)

(God help this country if that is the case. FWIW, DeSantis or Scott would wipe the floor with Biden. Trump = 4 more years of Biden)

Scott.....tough to say, he hasn't had to go through the mill yet. I'm guessing that there may still be enough energy among Democrats to win that one. DeSantis? I would have agreed a few months ago. Now, I think he is VERY damaged goods. And it gets worse every day. This 'state guard' story may have real legs.

Not at all, but I do think Republicans who, if Trump is the choice, refuse to vote for him are asking for a loss.

The reason there are so many people running for the red nomination is because they think it is very likely, Trump will not be running. Why spend all that money and do the work for nothing? They are smart enough to think it is a good chance someone else will get the nomination.

I have long been thinking that it is likely that the 14th amendment will be used to prevent Trump from being a candidate, that it will not be up to either Trump or the people. .

A few problems with that.

First you would need congress to enact it which they won't do.

Secondly the disqualification clause only applies to current and former federal officials, state officials, and military officials.

The president isn't listed meaning you would need to go to the Supreme Court or get 2/3 of the states to amend the amendment.

Thirdly, none of that will happen before the election takes place.

Fourth, you would have to convict Trump of an insurrection and there aren't even any charges yet.

It would take years to resolve.

Back