Researchers still flummoxed by conciousness

Cypress

"Cypress you motherfucking whore!"
Understanding Consciousness Goes Beyond Exploring Brain Chemistry

Over the summer, the neuroscientist Christof Koch conceded defeat on his 25-year bet with the philosopher David Chalmers, a lost wager that the science of consciousness would be all wrapped up by now. Despite decades of research, there’s little sign of consensus on consciousness, with several rival theories still in contention.

I argue that we can account for the evolution of consciousness only if we reject reductionism about consciousness. Most consciousness researchers employ a reductionist view of the universe, where physics is running the show.

The neuroscientist Kevin Mitchell has argued that the free will of conscious organisms plays a role in determining what will happen in the brain, over and above what is settled by the laws of physics. And the assembly theory of chemist Lee Cronin and physicist Sara Walker decisively rejects reduction to microscopic-level equations, arguing for a kind of memory inherent in nature that guides the construction of complex molecules.

Evolution offers one of the strongest challenges to reductionist approaches to consciousness. Natural selection only cares about behavior, as it’s only behavior that matters for survival. Given all this, it is a deep mystery why consciousness evolved at all.

Over the summer, the neuroscientist Christof Koch conceded defeat on his 25-year bet with the philosopher David Chalmers, a lost wager that the science of consciousness would be all wrapped up by now. Despite decades of research, there’s little sign of consensus on consciousness, with several rival theories still in contention.

I argue that we can account for the evolution of consciousness only if we reject reductionism about consciousness. Most consciousness researchers employ a reductionist view of the universe, where physics is running the show.

The neuroscientist Kevin Mitchell has argued that the free will of conscious organisms plays a role in determining what will happen in the brain, over and above what is settled by the laws of physics. And the assembly theory of chemist Lee Cronin and physicist Sara Walker decisively rejects reduction to microscopic-level equations, arguing for a kind of memory inherent in nature that guides the construction of complex molecules.

Evolution offers one of the strongest challenges to reductionist approaches to consciousness. Natural selection only cares about behavior, as it’s only behavior that matters for survival. Given all this, it is a deep mystery why consciousness evolved at all.
It’s a fascinating subject, I wonder what the wager was? I think it will awhile before it is settled.

It’s a fascinating subject, I wonder what the wager was? I think it will awhile before it is settled.

They bet a case of wine! Makes sense, I didn't think reputable scientists would wager cold, hard cash.

It is a fascinating subject, and one that is presicely at the very frontiers of science and philosophy!

They bet a case of wine! Makes sense, I didn't think reputable scientists would wager cold, hard cash.

It is a fascinating subject, and one that is presicely at the very frontiers of science and philosophy!
Perfect bet!

Why is it a mystery? We have been endowed with all the elements,that when functioning, result in consciousness. Its a result of how humans are designed. We are designed to have consciousness.

Why is it a mystery? We have been endowed with all the elements,that when functioning, result in consciousness. Its a result of how humans are designed. We are designed to have consciousness.

That is a teleological argument.

Scientists are primarily concerned with mechanistic knowledge. We literally have no accepted physical or chemical theory for why humans have an inner life revolving around conciousness.

Perhaps the one thing on which we can all agree is that consciousness is an imposition.
When I conk out on my recliner, I'm probably at my happiest.:)

Not really. There is nothing to study, or even ponder, beyond physiology.

I didn't think reputable scientists would wager cold, hard cash.
They aren't scientists; they are researchers. There's a difference, and you would know what that difference is if only you knew what science is. These researchers haven't made any science. They eke out their existences off research grants, whether or not they produce any science, even if they don't produce any results at all.

It is a fascinating subject, and one that is precisely at the very frontiers of science and philosophy!
Not really. Currently, AI is the frontier while quantum computing is the scam du jour. The only ones interested in "consciousness" are movie producers and story writers.

I argue that we can account for the evolution of consciousness only if we reject reductionism about consciousness.
Am I really going to be the first to call boooolsch't on this? Did no one else recognize the desperation for attention behind the hurling of empty buzzwords under the pretense that something is actually being said?

Most consciousness researchers employ a reductionist view of the universe, where physics is running the show.
Shouldn't it have read "The consciousness researcher focuses on neurochemistry."?

[researcher] Kevin Mitchell has argued that the free will of conscious organisms plays a role in determining what will happen in the brain
This is a theological view. Obviously it should not be mistaken for science, in which "free will" is not a thing.

... over and above what is settled by the laws of physics.
There is major boooolsch't to be called here. What, pray tell, is to be researched, or even can be researched, over and above what is settled by the laws of physics? Voodoo? The afterlife? What?

And the assembly theory of chemist Lee Cronin and physicist Sara Walker decisively rejects reduction to microscopic-level equations ...
Neither rejects any possibilities.

Evolution offers one of the strongest challenges to reductionist approaches to consciousness.
Darwin's theory of evolution implies a "reduced" answer, not any sort of challenge to one.

Natural selection only cares about behavior
Nope. Natural selection only cares about advantageous characteristics.

as it’s only behavior that matters for survival.
Nope. It's all about advantageous characteristics that improve the probability of passing genes on to the next generation.

Perhaps the one thing on which we can all agree is that consciousness is an imposition. When I conk out on my recliner, I'm probably at my happiest.
Another stupid NiftyNiblick comment. Consciousness is what makes happiness possible. Pete moss isn't very happy.

That is a teleological argument.

Scientists are primarily concerned with mechanistic knowledge. We literally have no accepted physical or chemical theory for why humans have an inner life revolving around conciousness.

And you literally never will.

And you literally never will.

I am not convinced we will ever really understand conciousness, abiogenesis, or the origin and cause of the Big Bang

But just giving up trying to aquire that knowledge is contrary to the project of science.

I am not convinced we will ever really understand conciousness, abiogenesis, or the origin and cause of the Big Bang

But just giving up trying to aquire that knowledge is contrary to the project of science.

I already know the cause of consciousness and the big bang

I never suggested we give up. God gave us the desire to explore and learn more about him but it's.moved people away from him by their own choosing. People have supplanted wisdom with knowledge.

I already know the cause of consciousness and the big bang

I never suggested we give up. God gave us the desire to explore and learn more about him but it's.moved people away from him by their own choosing. People have supplanted wisdom with knowledge.

sggjtuy7

Back