Researchers still flummoxed by conciousness

Do we actually "have" consciousness, meaning our brain functionality creates it, or does consciousness just exist and our neurological functionality gives us the window to view it?

I'm not sure what you mean by having a window into it.

Understanding conciousness probably isn't going to come from conventional physics or biochemistry. To genuinely understand conciousness, we may need a new science that doesn't exist yet.

I'm not sure what you mean by having a window into it.

Understanding conciousness probably isn't going to come from conventional physics or biochemistry. To genuinely understand conciousness, we may need a new science that doesn't exist yet.

A window meaning visibility into the contents of our consciousness. In other words, does our consciousness exist on its own, independent of our physical body or is consciousness a creation of our body, specifically our brain?

A window meaning visibility into the contents of our consciousness. In other words, does our consciousness exist on its own, independent of our physical body or is consciousness a creation of our body, specifically our brain?

Consciousness is brain activity. So what if it is? Changes nothing.

The fact that all other higher sentient animals have a sort of rudimentary conciousness suggests it exists in the brain. The most reasonable and conservative scientific hypothesis is that it is an emergent property of neurobiology that we do not really understand.

How did you establish this probability?

All science that doesn't exist yet, when created will be new.

Bulverism 61

CLICK HERE To See Why IBDumbass Doesn't Post in Good Faith - He hounds me with what he imagines is a 'gotcha!' question, but when it blows up in his face he runs away from the thread like a little girl

hint: energy and matter are not interchangeable
:lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup:
Wave-Particle duality is classical physics.
There is no such thing as an accelerating reference frame!!
Darwin's theory of evolution is not science

I know you're wondering how it is that so many people know that you don't know anything. I mean, how could they possibly know?

If it weren't for Terry, guess where you'd stand in the knowledge rankings. Go on, take a guess.

I know you're wondering how it is that so many people know that you don't know anything. I mean, how could they possibly know?

If it weren't for Terry, guess where you'd stand in the knowledge rankings. Go on, take a guess.

Bulverism 85

CLICK HERE To See Why IBDumbass Doesn't Post in Good Faith - He hounds me with what he imagines is a 'gotcha!' question, but when it blows up in his face he runs away from the thread like a little girl

hint: energy and matter are not interchangeable
Wave-Particle duality is classical physics.
There is no such thing as an accelerating reference frame!!
Darwin's theory of evolution is not science

The fact that all other higher sentient animals have a sort of rudimentary conciousness suggests it exists in the brain. The most reasonable and conservative scientific hypothesis is that it is an emergent property of neurobiology that we do not really understand.

Sure it's possible, though I don't know if other animals having consciousness really makes one theory more possible than another.

Sure it's possible, though I don't know if other animals having consciousness really makes one theory more possible than another.

If you are talking about panpsychism, that idea strikes me as pseudoscience. It actually sounds a lot like the Hindu concept of Atman is Brahman. I am not convinced that an amino acid, a peptide, a hydrocarbon molecule are tapped into a universal conciousness that permeates the universe.

We obviously don't have any good theories yet for conciousness, but my starting point would be human neurobiology. That seems like a reasonable place to start.

If you are talking about panpsychism, that idea strikes me as pseudoscience. It actually sounds a lot like the Hindu concept of Atman is Brahman. I am not convinced that an amino acid, a peptide, a hydrocarbon molecule are tapped into a universal conciousness that permeates the universe.

We obviously don't have any good theories yet for conciousness, but my starting point would be human neurobiology. That seems like a reasonable place to start.

I think panspychism gives consciousness to everything, right? I definitely wouldn't go that far.

Consciousness is a fascinating subject. Looked at objectively, it's easy to see a neural network that produces this. But looked at subjectively, I can ask, "Why wasn't I born rich?"

Why am I conscious of that which affects this body at this time? Could I not have experienced another life, in another body at another time?

Back