Science can't answer these questions

1. Is existence meaningful, absurd, or both?

Meaningful to whom?

The individual has to be that answer

Each individual very obviously makes that determination

Yes life has meaning

Because some individuals infuse it with meaning

Some choose not to imbue it with meaning

It still has meaning for those willing to ember it with meaning

Choosing not to is a choice

How should I live my life? Does it matter?

In a way that gives you real life satisfaction

If you choose not to be satisfied that is a choice

3. Do I need other people? Why? How?

It’s proven humans need other humans

Medical science has proven that

What does death mean, if anything?

It means no longer being a functioning human being

That has been proven by science

1. Is existence meaningful, absurd, or both?

Meaningful to whom?

The individual has to be that answer

Each individual very obviously makes that determination

Yes life has meaning

Because some individuals infuse it with meaning

Some choose not to imbue it with meaning

It still has meaning for those willing to ember it with meaning

Choosing not to is a choice

If the individual has to discover for themselves how to live a meaningful life, then the answer isn't printed in a physics, chemistry, or biology textbook.

What does death mean, if anything?

It means no longer being a functioning human being

That has been proven by science

My mother and father's values/spirit/memory/wisdom live on in me and in my grandchildren, so to me their death has meaning beyond the cessation of biological functions.

Religious people also think there is some meaning and significance in death beyond the biological

About the only reason I can think of, beyond the sometimes negative mental impact of isolation, is an evolutionary benefit of living with others. The more "others" there are, the more likely it is that you keep your offspring alive.

Knowing about the neurochemistry and physiological response to strict isolation is interesting, but Paleolithic hunters didn't need modern science to be aware they are social animals.

I didn't read question 2 as neccesarily being just about strict and permanent isolation. The question to me is about how and why humans should relate to each other.

The Greeks thought the polis was an ideal form of community.

The Taoists and Buddhists sometimes advocated a type of social withdrawal from political and social life.

Thoreau's On Walden Pond advocated a quiet contemplation away from the bustle of the civilization.

Confucians thought a well ordered society should be based on the concepts of filial piety.

Again, understanding "that" isn't the same as understanding "why". I can't imagine not seeing the benefit of a more thorough understanding of the human brain. Wouldn't it be nice to base ideas like morality on something objective and not the perceived desires of imaginary beings?

I have never in the history of science seen a discussion of ethics.

How should I live my life? Does it matter?

In a way that gives you real life satisfaction

If you choose not to be satisfied that is a choice

I don't think we can insist there is one right answer.

But we should be open to the power of the question.

Some people are nihilists or fatalists, and think there is no ultimate meaning to life, and that hedonism is the proper response to a meaningless universe.

Personal self fulfillment is certainly another response to the question of how to live life.

The saintly approach of life lived in service to others is another one.

A fatalistic response is to just get through life as best you can and hope for the best, because we're all dead in the end - none of it really matters in the end

I don't think we can insist there is one right answer.

But we should be open to the power of the question.

Some people are nihilists or fatalists, and think there is no ultimate meaning to life, and that hedonism is the proper response to a meaningless universe.

Personal self fulfillment is certainly another response to the question of how to live life.

A fatalistic response is to just get through life as best you can and hope for the best, because we're all dead in the end - none of it really matters in the end

I think there is one right answer

No matter what you choose to believe on a basis of faith

Strive to live well with others and your environment

Anything else is illogical behavior designed for failure

We are beings that are designed by evolution to live in a cooperative manner

We are the smartest beings we know of with the ability to physically transform our environent

That means we have the responsibility to act as earths life forms caretakers

We have the intelligence to gather facts and take the best informed actions

We don’t

That means we kill everything

Pretty stupid thing to do for a smart animal

Which is how humans fulfill what is inside us

If you can get to the point that you don’t fear the emotion of compassion you will be saintly

It’s the deepest joy to have the knowledge you have truly helped someone

I try to help people

It brings me joy

I can’t always muster it

But I try to be in that mind frame as much as this non-saint can

My mother and father's values/spirit/memory/wisdom live on in me and in my grandchildren, so to me their death has meaning beyond the cessation of biological functions.

Religious people also think there is some meaning and significance in death beyond the biological

Bless them

I’m sorry they no longer exist

I’m glad they taught you to be happy.

Being moral and being kind was the correct path

I guess it depends on what people consider to be science.

The study of near-death-experiences is scientific. So are past & between life regressions, and even channelings.

There is a lot of information in all of the research surrounding these things that addresses all of the questions in the OP. I wouldn't say it's all final & solved, but there is strong evidence for each (imo).

I guess it depends on what people consider to be science.

The study of near-death-experiences is scientific. So are past & between life regressions, and even channelings.

There is a lot of information in all of the research surrounding these things that addresses all of the questions in the OP. I wouldn't say it's all final & solved, but there is strong evidence for each (imo).

I do not think any scientist proved a person had a past life.

Proven? Maybe not. But study in these fields isn't some hokey, new age thing. Experts in these fields study & research like everyone, and an overwhelming body of evidence suggests that we live many lives.

I have never seen any scientist confirm a past life, nor state it is possible. How would you test it?

I have never seen any scientist confirm a past life, nor state it is possible. How would you test it?

Have you looked into that area of study?

There is some remarkable stuff. Because the mechanics of it are outside the physical plane, I'm not sure a scientist could truly confirm it. But a lot of science is like that (i.e. things like the Big Bang theory).

Back