Science can't answer these questions

Have you looked into that area of study?

There is some remarkable stuff. Because the mechanics of it are outside the physical plane, I'm not sure a scientist could truly confirm it. But a lot of science is like that (i.e. things like the Big Bang theory).

No, Big Bang is empirical.

Weird. You realize "empirical" means it can be tested by others, that there is physical evidence.

Many are involved w/ research regarding past lives - and they all practice similar techniques.

Is there anything about "empirical" that requires physical evidence? Not so sure of that. I wouldn't say that exists regarding most of the Big Bang theory.

Many are involved w/ research regarding past lives - and they all practice similar techniques.

Is there anything about "empirical" that requires physical evidence? Not so sure of that. I wouldn't say that exists regarding most of the Big Bang theory.

Big Bang is supported by empirical--physical--evidence. It is not idle speculation.

I think there is one right answer

No matter what you choose to believe on a basis of faith

Strive to live well with others and your environment

Anything else is illogical behavior designed for failure

We are beings that are designed by evolution to live in a cooperative manner

We are the smartest beings we know of with the ability to physically transform our environent

That means we have the responsibility to act as earths life forms caretakers

We have the intelligence to gather facts and take the best informed actions

We don’t

That means we kill everything

Pretty stupid thing to do for a smart animal

I think that sounds good im principle.

But I think there are a lot of questions about what it actually means to live responsibly, to get along with others, and to live well.

These questions are universally shared by all human beings.

1. Is existence meaningful, absurd, or both?
2. How should I live my life? Does it matter?
3. Do I need other people? Why? How?
4. What does death mean, if anything?

Francis Ambrosio, Georgetown University

I agree than most people at one time or other agonize over those questions.
Too bad. Best not to think about it.
You didn't ask to be here. I sure didn't.
Just do the best you can,
and just worry about what you can control.

Human phycology is a science

I would be surprised if there is a college psychology textbook that prints answers to the four questions in the OP.

If it can't be measured and quantified, I don't think it's science.

These questions are perhaps more genuinely explored in the great world literature, poetry, and prose humanity has produced.

Perhaps being genuinely open to the full power of these questions is essentially an act of fully participating in the mysterious reality of existence.

I guess it depends on what people consider to be science.

The study of near-death-experiences is scientific. So are past & between life regressions, and even channelings.

There is a lot of information in all of the research surrounding these things that addresses all of the questions in the OP. I wouldn't say it's all final & solved, but there is strong evidence for each (imo).

I don't deny there are legitimate scientific questions about NDEs. But even if we learned more about NDEs, wouldn't it just be interesting information, rather than a real answer to whether there is meaning to life, and the question of how to choose to live life?

I agree than most people at one time or other agonize over those questions.
Too bad. Best not to think about it.
You didn't ask to be here. I sure didn't.
Just do the best you can,
and just worry about what you can control.

I am not in an authoritative and omniscient position to say that a nihilistic, fatalistic, or hedonistic approach to life is wrong.

It's just wrong for me.

I am not in an authoritative position to say that a nihilistic, fatalistic, or hedonistic approach to life is wrong.

Anybody in such an authoritative position would actually know all the answers.
God would in that case definitely--or at least probably--exist.
But for now, we just don't know.

I don't deny there are legitimate scientific questions about NDEs. But even if we learned more about NDEs, wouldn't it just be interesting information, rather than a real answer to whether there is meaning to life, and the question of how to choose to live life?

Well, this is a topic I'm obsessed with. Having watched, listened to & read about hundreds of NDE's, I feel like I completely understand why we're here, and what life is about. There is a lot of discussion in NDE's (and commonality) about that idea.

Science is defined by physical objects and events. I do not see how ethics fits into a physical event.

If we describe something as unethical or immoral, it's generally some kind of event or action we are referring to. An adult verbally or physically abusing a child, for example. There's the actual act of abuse and there is the impact that abuse has on the victim. That impact is based on the conscious experience of the person being abused. That conscious experience is based on activity in the brain.

If we had a more thorough understanding of brain functionality, to be able to see how verbal or physical abuse impacts the victim, we would have an objective, scientific basis for saying that abuse, even verbal, is immoral or unethical.

If we describe something as unethical or immoral, it's generally some kind of event or action we are referring to. An adult verbally or physically abusing a child, for example. There's the actual act of abuse and there is the impact that abuse has on the victim. That impact is based on the conscious experience of the person being abused. That conscious experience is based on activity in the brain.

If we had a more thorough understanding of brain functionality, to be able to see how verbal or physical abuse impacts the victim, we would have an objective, scientific basis for saying that abuse, even verbal, is immoral or unethical.

You think science is some magic act. It is very strange.

In a nutshell: to learn. Earth is kind of like a classroom.

Each lifetime, we choose different lessons & experiences. Many NDE's talk about the "blueprint" we put together before birth, mapping out different experiences intended for our overall growth.

What are we supposed to be learning? What is the goal?

Back