Scientism

I guess what I'm saying is that being able to turn on a television or type on a keyboard isn't real knowledge or truth. It's an ability to use technology, but I don't see it as any kind of profound insight or wisdom.

On the other hand, gaining the knowledge to treat people fairly, acquiring the aesthetic eye to compose good photographs, having a keen sense of justice, cultivating the skill to be a persuasive speaker or writer is acquired by human abilities which don't require integral calculus or Newtonian physics.

I'm a science guy though, so I don't mean to downplay the scientific method.
Using tech is knowledge, even scientifically-based knowledge*, but agreed it doesn't automatically equate to wisdom or insights to light. There are different levels of learning. Look at religion; there rote where people can cherry-pick out scripture out of the Bible and then there's those who go a deeper level by understanding the Bible as a whole, as a combined message. Above that is the deeper spiritual understanding that man is flawed and the Bible is a flawed result of man, but that it indicates the greater mystery of existence.

Agreed being civilized doesn't require higher math or a deep understanding of physics. It does point out the difference between people who are civilized because that's the way they are trained and those who understand why civilized behaviors are best for themselves and those they care about.

*I used to flight instruct for the Navy. It was easier to train people who grew up with tech, even if only televisions and calculators, than someone who grew up with mudhuts and livestock.

Using tech is knowledge, even scientifically-based knowledge*, but agreed it doesn't automatically equate to wisdom or insights to light. There are different levels of learning. Look at religion; there rote where people can cherry-pick out scripture out of the Bible and then there's those who go a deeper level by understanding the Bible as a whole, as a combined message. Above that is the deeper spiritual understanding that man is flawed and the Bible is a flawed result of man, but that it indicates the greater mystery of existence.

Agreed being civilized doesn't require higher math or a deep understanding of physics. It does point out the difference between people who are civilized because that's the way they are trained and those who understand why civilized behaviors are best for themselves and those they care about.

*I used to flight instruct for the Navy. It was easier to train people who grew up with tech, even if only televisions and calculators, than someone who grew up with mudhuts and livestock.

You're right, being trained to use technology is a type of knowledge. Being knowledgeable about flying a helicopter or using welding equipment is substantially different than knowing how to use a smart TV or mobile phone. Being a welder or a pilot takes a type of commitment to learning and knowledge that is on a high level of human development.

If science doesn’t contradict the Bible then what proof would their be?

Magic doesn't exist. It's unlikely that Moses waived a wand and the Red Sea parted. OTOH, I recall scientists looking at it and pointing out that high winds on one end of the Red Sea could push the water back enough to reveal a sand bar which could be traversed. I forget the details.

You're right, being trained to use technology is a type of knowledge. Being knowledgeable about flying a helicopter or using welding equipment is substantially different than knowing how to use a smart TV or mobile phone. Being a welder or a pilot takes a type of commitment to learning and knowledge that is on a high level of human development.

Agreed. We're a technological society, but mostly users of that technology, not designers or builders.

Magic doesn't exist. It's unlikely that Moses waived a wand and the Red Sea parted. OTOH, I recall scientists looking at it and pointing out that high winds on one end of the Red Sea could push the water back enough to reveal a sand bar which could be traversed. I forget the details.

Of course not so we need to interpret it

The Bible is not always literal and much of these stories are lost in translation

I believe discovery channel did a documentary on this story and they put forth the hypothesis that it wasn’t the sea but a large marsh/bog that existed during that time

Their theory was that God led His people through the only clear path while the enemy ended up getting stuck leaving them unable to continue the pursuit

Of course not so we need to interpret it

The Bible is not always literal and much of these stories are lost in translation

I believe discovery channel did a documentary on this story and they put forth the hypothesis that it wasn’t the sea but a large marsh/bog that existed during that time

Their theory was that God led His people through the only clear path while the enemy ended up getting stuck leaving them unable to continue the pursuit

Agreed the Bible shouldn't be taken literally. There are different interpretations in some of the translations. I like using BibleHub.com because it lists multiple translations of the same scripture. Biblegateway.com offers multiple versions but requires selecting one version.

This is Biblegateway's New International Version of John 8:32 https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=john 8:32&version=NIV

This is the Bible Hub's page of the same scripture: https://biblehub.com/john/8-32.htm
New International Version
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

New Living Translation
And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

English Standard Version
and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

Berean Standard Bible

Berean Literal Bible
And you will know the truth, and the truth will set free you."

King James Bible
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

New King James Version
And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”

New American Standard Bible

NASB 1995
and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.”

NASB 1977
and you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”

Legacy Standard Bible

Amplified Bible
And you will know the truth [regarding salvation], and the truth will set you free [from the penalty of sin].”

Christian Standard Bible
You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

Holman Christian Standard Bible
You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."”

American Standard Version
and ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
“And you will know the truth, and that truth will set you free.”

Contemporary English Version
You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Douay-Rheims Bible
And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

English Revised Version
and ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

GOD'S WORD® Translation
You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Good News Translation
you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

International Standard Version
And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Literal Standard Version

Majority Standard Bible

New American Bible

NET Bible
and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

New Revised Standard Version

New Heart English Bible
You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."

Webster's Bible Translation
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

Weymouth New Testament
and you shall know the Truth, and the Truth will make you free."

World English Bible
You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.”

Young's Literal Translation
and the truth shall make you free.'

Additional Translations ...

John 8:32 is pretty straight forward, but some verses are less so. Consider some of the subtle differences on Leviticus 9:11 https://biblehub.com/leviticus/19-11.
Context Crossref Comm Hebrew
Verse (Click for Chapter)
New International Version
“’Do not steal. “’Do not lie. “’Do not deceive one another.

New Living Translation
“Do not steal. “Do not deceive or cheat one another.

English Standard Version
“You shall not steal; you shall not deal falsely; you shall not lie to one another.

Berean Standard Bible
You must not steal. You must not lie or deceive one another.

King James Bible
Ye shall not steal, neither deal falsely, neither lie one to another.

New King James Version
‘You shall not steal, nor deal falsely, nor lie to one another.

New American Standard Bible

NASB 1995

NASB 1977

Legacy Standard Bible

Amplified Bible
‘You shall not steal, nor deal deceptively, nor lie to one another.

Christian Standard Bible
“Do not steal. Do not act deceptively or lie to one another.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
You must not steal. You must not act deceptively or lie to one another.

American Standard Version
Ye shall not steal; neither shall ye deal falsely, nor lie one to another.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
You shall not steal you shall not lie you shall not cheat, man against his fellow man.

Brenton Septuagint Translation
Ye shall not steal, ye shall not lie, neither shall one bear false witness as an informer against his neighbour.

Contemporary English Version
Do not steal or tell lies or cheat others.

Douay-Rheims Bible
You shall not steal. You shall not lie, neither shall any man deceive his neighbour.

English Revised Version

GOD'S WORD® Translation
"Never steal, lie, or deceive your neighbor.

Good News Translation
"Do not steal or cheat or lie.

International Standard Version
"You are not to steal or lie or deal falsely with your neighbor.

JPS Tanakh 1917

Literal Standard Version
You do not steal, nor feign, nor lie—each against his fellow.

Majority Standard Bible
You must not steal. You must not lie or deceive one another.

New American Bible
You shall not steal. You shall not deceive or speak falsely to one another.

NET Bible
"'You must not steal, you must not tell lies, and you must not deal falsely with your fellow citizen.

New Revised Standard Version
You shall not steal; you shall not deal falsely; and you shall not lie to one another.

New Heart English Bible
"'You shall not steal; neither shall you deal falsely, nor lie to one another.

Webster's Bible Translation
Ye shall not steal, neither deal falsely, neither lie one to another.

World English Bible
“‘You shall not steal. “‘You shall not lie. “‘You shall not deceive one another.

Young's Literal Translation
'Ye do not steal, nor feign, nor lie one against his fellow.

Additional Translations ...

And ultimately the more science discovers the more we can narrow down these translations

For instance we know that evolution happened so how can we use that knowledge to interpret the story of Adam and Eve

Well it says Adam was made from the ground which is how life actually formed according to evolution

Ground/sea are the same thing

Then it says Eve was made from Adams rib which could be the process of cells dividing and creating another life form

God has only given us the very briefest descriptions of these events as He doesn’t consider them the main point of His message

I believe we are the leaders in designing new technologies

It varies with the type of technology. You hate the military, but they're the ones paying for most of our top tech.

Other nations are catching up because Republicans have become anti-science and seek to return to 1950s levels of tech which allows the rest of the world to pass us by.

It varies with the type of technology. You hate the military, but they're the ones paying for most of our top tech.

Other nations are catching up because Republicans have become anti-science and seek to return to 1950s levels of tech which allows the rest of the world to pass us by.

I don’t hate our military

Disagreed, Tink. Your posts regularly slam anyone who supports our government, on all levels, and that includes the United States military.

You can disagree all you want but I just told you I don’t hate our military so believe what you will

The only thing I’ve said about the military is I don’t believe in hero worship in regards to them

Some of them are pieces of shit and their are many of them in prison as we speak

Back