Scientism

I would think anyone with a PhD who is actively well read in science journalism would know that nobody really knows how quarks and electrons in our brains result in our wide ranging subjective mental experience. Though people are constantly attempting to toss out ideas, none of which have been accepted as satisfactorily explanatory

Nor would a real PhD ask as stupid question like "Why is it so important to differentiate science from philosophy?". They'd know why for the aforementioned reasons: the scientific method involves facts and replicable experiments. Philosophy are mental exercises which are more about perception and Point-of-View than facts.

An example would be the question of shooting a pedophile raping a child; a scientific answer would involve ensuring not to hit the kid or another innocent. A philosophical answer would be to question the morality of shooting the pedophile instead of simply whacking them over the head and capturing them for trial. Anyone who has taken college or AP level classes in physics, ethics and philosophy would understand the differences, not question the importance of the differences.

Why is it so important to differentiate science from philosophy?

Nor would a real PhD ask as stupid question like "Why is it so important to differentiate science from philosophy?". They'd know why for the aforementioned reasons: the scientific method involves facts and replicable experiments. Philosophy are mental exercises which are more about perception and Point-of-View than facts.

An example would be the question of shooting a pedophile raping a child; a scientific answer would involve ensuring not to hit the kid or another innocent. A philosophical answer would be to question the morality of shooting the pedophile instead of simply whacking them over the head and capturing them for trial. Anyone who has taken college or AP level classes in physics, ethics and philosophy would understand the differences, not question the importance of the differences.

It is pretty remarkable that anyone would naively blurt out that they don't understand why science and philosophy are two distinct academic approaches which typically ask different questions and take different approaches to the nature and acquisition of knowledge

It is pretty remarkable that anyone would naively blurt out that they don't understand why science and philosophy are two distinct academic approaches which typically ask different questions and take different approaches to the nature and acquisition of knowledge

You DO realize science used to be called "Natural Philosophy", right?

And you DO realize that logic is the language of philosophy just as it is the language of science.

That's why systematic logic is mathematical in nature.

ERGO: science and philosophy spring from the same well.

Sorry you know so little about philosophy or science history.

Agreed. Remarkable for anyone with a college degree. Not so much from a bipolar nutjob on the Internet claiming to have a PhD. :)

You DO realize science used to be called "Natural Philosophy", right?....
Perry the Perv is also Perry the Slow-Witted.....or is it Perry the Plagiarist? LOL
Thanks.

Natural philosophy used to be what we now call science.

The 6th century BCE Ionian Presocratic philosophers were certainly speculating about the natural world and nature of reality.

Physics ends at the formulation of mathmatical natural laws. But physics does not have any theoretical explanation for the origin or logical necessity of these immutable laws. They are just accepted as true, and left at that. That's an example of where physics ends and ontology and metaphysics begin.

You DO realize science used to be called "Natural Philosophy", right?

Plagiarizing me again? -->
Natural philosophy used to be what we now call science.

Perry PhD And you DO realize that logic is the language of philosophy just as it is the language of science.

That's why systematic logic is mathematical in nature.

ERGO: science and philosophy spring from the same well.

Sorry you know so little about philosophy or science history.

If it weren't for starting war zone threads about me and then following me around on threads I author, I don't think you would have anything to do on this forum

The fact that universities have separate physics, biology, and philosophy departments, even where there are overlaps, renders your point moot.

As for conciousness and subjective mental experience, just naively blurting out...

"Neurons did it!.... because..... because....they just do!"

Is not a scientific explanation.
It's what we politely call arm-waving.

Plagiarizing me again? -->

No, just because someone knows something you do doesn't mean everyone is plagiarizing you, you stupid fuck.

If it weren't for starting war zone threads about me and then following me around on threads I author, I don't think you would have anything to do on this forum

The fact that universities have separate physics, biology, and philosophy departments, even where there are overlaps, renders your point moot.

As for conciousness and subjective mental experience, just naively blurting out...

"Neurons did it!.... because..... because....they just do!"

Is not a scientific explanation.
It's what we politely call arm-waving.

Why don't you get to making more bets with Doc?

No, just because someone knows something you do doesn't mean everyone is plagiarizing you, you stupid fuck.

Why don't you get to making more bets with Doc?

It becomes plagiarism when there is a pattern of you following behind me by a matter minutes or mere days by copying and paraphrasing me on some relatively obscure point of philosophy or science, and trying to pass it off as your own insight -->

CLICK HERE to see how PERRY PhD imagines he has deeply original, profound insights about science and philosophy, but he is actually just plagiarizing and paraphrasing things he has read other people write

...If it weren't for starting war zone threads about me and then following me around on threads I author, I don't think you would have anything to do on this forum

The fact that universities have separate physics, biology, and philosophy departments, even where there are overlaps, renders your point moot....
Agreed. Stalking and harassment are what excites him the most. Observing what people focus upon, and which they dislike, is one facet to their personality. My question is "Why would someone do that?" since it seems irrational. What logic, if there is any, behind his obsessive behavior to stalk and harass others?

We all get pissed off and overreact at times, some more than others. Once cooled down, adults have a set and often normal range of behaviors. Perry's seems to go from zero to 60 then back to zero again. He's either stalking and harassing people or he's not here. That's irrational, IMO. It's emotional. I don't see the logic.

The problem isn't going from 0 to 60 and back again, it's the lack of an in-between. Perry doesn't have an in-between. You, and most people on the Nice Thread, do have a range, which is normal.* I have over 134K posts, all of which telegraph my personality. It's possible to mask one's personality over a short amount of time, but only true psychos can mask it for thousands of posts or months on end while maintaining a frequent presence. Perry has mental issues, but being a psycho doesn't seem to be one of them.

Either Perry's communications skills are on the level of a chimpanzee or he's mentally crippled and can't get any better. You were the first to point out his Google, cut'n'paste style he tried to pass off as being highly educated. Up to that point I just saw him as another immature blowhard and skimmed over his posts. You know, the old Evelyn Wood thing. :thup:

Now, as pointed out before, he has character traits with Jack and Steven VanderMolen. Not the same people but the same mental issue. My guess is unmedicated bipolarism.

https://nypost.com/2019/09/21/how-a-mormon-housewife-sold-america-the-big-speed-reading-scam/
How a Mormon housewife sold America the big speed-reading scam

68i43l.jpg
*...except maybe neef. I'm still eyeing him. LOL

It becomes plagiarism when there is a pattern of you following behind me by a matter minutes or mere days by copying and paraphrasing me on some relatively obscure point of philosophy or science, and trying to pass it off as your own insight -->

CLICK HERE to see how PERRY PhD imagines he has deeply original, profound insights about science and philosophy, but he is actually just plagiarizing and paraphrasing things he has read other people write

You realize you SUCK BALLS at logic, right? Seriously, dude, you really come across as kind of dull witted.

Agreed. Stalking and harassment are what excites him the most. Observing what people focus upon, and which they dislike, is one facet to their personality. My question is "Why would someone do that?" since it seems irrational. What logic, if there is any, behind his obsessive behavior to stalk and harass others?

We all get pissed off and overreact at times, some more than others. Once cooled down, adults have a set and often normal range of behaviors. Perry's seems to go from zero to 60 then back to zero again. He's either stalking and harassing people or he's not here. That's irrational, IMO. It's emotional. I don't see the logic.

The problem isn't going from 0 to 60 and back again, it's the lack of an in-between. Perry doesn't have an in-between. You, and most people on the Nice Thread, do have a range, which is normal.* I have over 134K posts, all of which telegraph my personality. It's possible to mask one's personality over a short amount of time, but only true psychos can mask it for thousands of posts or months on end while maintaining a frequent presence. Perry has mental issues, but being a psycho doesn't seem to be one of them.

Either Perry's communications skills are on the level of a chimpanzee or he's mentally crippled and can't get any better. You were the first to point out his Google, cut'n'paste style he tried to pass off as being highly educated. Up to that point I just saw him as another immature blowhard and skimmed over his posts. You know, the old Evelyn Wood thing. :thup:

Now, as pointed out before, he has character traits with Jack and Steven VanderMolen. Not the same people but the same mental issue. My guess is unmedicated bipolarism.

https://nypost.com/2019/09/21/how-a-mormon-housewife-sold-america-the-big-speed-reading-scam/
How a Mormon housewife sold America the big speed-reading scam

*...except maybe neef. I'm still eyeing him. LOL

He keeps coming back saying he turned over a new leaf, but it never seems to stick.

The first hint of mental instability was the use of multiple accounts, sock puppets, evading thread bans, and ~15 name changes in a few months.

The tales about PhDs and the frantic Googling were just other symptoms.

On message boards, I have always found mental instability and relentless lying to be more annoying than someone who is just an occasional jackass. Just my two cents

He keeps coming back saying he turned over a new leaf, but it never seems to stick.

Because every time I apologized to you you just heaped on more abuse. You told me explicitly thusly that you want it. You like abuse because that is what you give. You know the "golden rule"??? All your ethics shit is just that....shit.

On message boards, I have always found mental instability and relentless lying to be more annoying than someone who is just an occasional jackass. Just my two cents

But you like Doc Dutch because of his bets, right? You think that's cool. Shudder.

Back