Senate Control

Yeah he is bad off, but after all he is just a politician , and this is a natural illness kind of thing, not like killing children in Iraq.

I'm really surprised, no one has posted this? This is the biggest story of, well, forget the day, this could be the biggest story of the rest of the year.

Something told me it was all too good to be true when the dems got the house and the senate. I hope he pulls through. Quickly.

Update: It wasn't a stroke.

Johnson, who turns 60 on Dec. 28, was admitted to George Washington University Hospital with an undiagnosed illness, said a spokeswoman, Julianne Fisher.

She said, however, the senator did not suffer a stroke or heart attack. His office had said earlier it was a possible stroke.

Reports later today say that he's undergone brain surgery in order to stop the hemorrhaging he'd suffered. At this time he's listed in critical condition, but that is to be expected following that procedure. The brain hemorrhage is a form of stroke, but is not an arterial blockage; it's a ruptured aneurism. I'm sure you all know what this is, but just in case: it's a weakness in the blood vessel wall (nearly always an artery, as this is where the greatest pressure is). That weakness can cause the wall to become very thin, and this alone can cause some symptoms, but at a critical point it can give way, leading to a bleed.

The biggest problem with this is not the effects of the original bleed and the acute interference with neural cells around the hemorrhage itself. The problems really arise from the brain's response to this biological insult, the pronounced release of excitatory amino acids that lead to further injury, and that damage can spread until it is, hopefully, contained. It can take a long, long time to recover those functions that suffer debilitation from such trauma. Let's hope that he will recover enough of them quickly.

Back