Shooting Guns

Care4all

Contributor
The guy next door to me has 10 acres of woodlands and pasture...

yesterday, I heard gunfire.

So I went out on my deck to see what the commotion was about and I heard him and his two sons, one around 18 the other is around 20 talking in the distance, then firing and firing and firing of their guns, then shoutings of joy when they hit their targets.... they sounded like rifles to me.

Being mostly a "city/suberbs" girl and never really living in "Rural", I was surprised by this shooting session taking place next door....at least at first.....

Then later the sound of them practicing hitting their targets started to soothe me....I think I was looking around at all the woods and thought...if something ever happened where we were cut off from the grocery store food, my neighbor and his sons could keep matt and me alive with food that they shoot.....

Then I thought that it was very responsible for my neighbor to spend time with his boys to practice their shots and learn about the guns they were using....his boys live down the street with their mother, not with him, but are always over at his house....more than their mom's it seems..... (mom and dad are divorced, but still friends).

Anyway, this morning I awoke with the sun because of my cat insisting on getting some food....I fed her and then let her go out on the deck....when I let her out there I usually leave the back door opened a crack so she can run inside if she gets spooked.....she is still a little scared of this NEW place and she did not go out all winter because of the cold so it is all still unfamiliar to her and she is not king of this castle yet....she is still wimpy, a real scaredy cat.....

Well, I saw her run to the door and crouch down...I ran to the back door and saw nothing, so then I ran to the side windows and low and behold coming out of my property's woodsy area just 50 yards at the most from the house was a coyote or a big ass fox, it crossed the dirt road and went in to the pasture across the way and then in to the woods on the other side of the pasture.

I thought, gees, I need to get to know Dave, my neighbor, a little bit better and have him teach me how to use a handgun and a rifle and a shotgun.

I could never kill one of these beauties of the wild, but if anyone of those foxes or coyotes or a bear ever attacked my cat, I could kill them or scare them away at least with my gun....

And then the experience of yesterday with all the noise of the gunfire from practice at my neighbor's house became even more comforting to me this morning.

NOW, here is my question.....

Can anyone use their own guns on their own property at any time if it is a Rural district?

And good morning to all!

Care

The guy next door to me has 10 acres of woodlands and pasture...

yesterday, I heard gunfire.

So I went out on my deck to see what the commotion was about and I heard him and his two sons, one around 18 the other is around 20 talking in the distance, then firing and firing and firing of their guns, then shoutings of joy when they hit their targets.... they sounded like rifles to me.

Being mostly a "city/suberbs" girl and never really living in "Rural", I was surprised by this shooting session taking place next door....at least at first.....

Then later the sound of them practicing hitting their targets started to soothe me....I think I was looking around at all the woods and thought...if something ever happened where we were cut off from the grocery store food, my neighbor and his sons could keep matt and me alive with food that they shoot.....

Then I thought that it was very responsible for my neighbor to spend time with his boys to practice their shots and learn about the guns they were using....his boys live down the street with their mother, not with him, but are always over at his house....more than their mom's it seems..... (mom and dad are divorced, but still friends).

Anyway, this morning I awoke with the sun because of my cat insisting on getting some food....I fed her and then let her go out on the deck....when I let her out there I usually leave the back door opened a crack so she can run inside if she gets spooked.....she is still a little scared of this NEW place and she did not go out all winter because of the cold so it is all still unfamiliar to her and she is not king of this castle yet....she is still wimpy, a real scaredy cat.....

Well, I saw her run to the door and crouch down...I ran to the back door and saw nothing, so then I ran to the side windows and low and behold coming out of my property's woodsy area just 50 yards at the most from the house was a coyote or a big ass fox, it crossed the dirt road and went in to the pasture across the way and then in to the woods on the other side of the pasture.

I thought, gees, I need to get to know Dave, my neighbor, a little bit better and have him teach me how to use a handgun and a rifle and a shotgun.

I could never kill one of these beauties of the wild, but if anyone of those foxes or coyotes or a bear ever attacked my cat, I could kill them or scare them away at least with my gun....

And then the experience of yesterday with all the noise of the gunfire from practice at my neighbor's house became even more comforting to me this morning.

NOW, here is my question.....

Can anyone use their own guns on their own property at any time if it is a Rural district?

And good morning to all!

Care
This depends. On distance from the roads, on backdrop of the range they are shooting (especially with rifles), and what exactly they were shooting at.

I couldn't see what they were shooting....

his house abuts our property, it sits maybe 2 or 3 acres from our house, then on the other side of his house is where the 10 acres are....I presumed they were firing in that direction....

The road in front of my house is a private road that he and I share.....the land....the pasture and woods across the street is another guy's property which is a 125 acre parcel...

Well, on the other side of the 125 acres is another large parcel that is a rifle range or a shooting range, a business/home.... I hear them shooting sometimes but this is at a distance, this gun practice yesterday was much louder, maybe it was shot guns?

I was just wondering if it was permitted legally to practice shooting on ones own property. Around here, they have the motto that EVERYTHING is legal until you get caught.... :)

Care

Care A good paintball gun is good to run off stray critters with.

Most places unless you are in a city it is legal to shoot on your own property.

I don't think we even have police after 7pm.... :) after 7 pm they go home and are on call..... so if you want to speed...after 7pm, no problem! :D

I personally wouldn't be comfortable with people shooting in my backyard. But I will say, after a former boss of mine mentioned how a bear wound up on his property, I've become a little more liberal so to speak in my opinions on gun ownership.

As Damo said it depends on how responsibly the shooters are acting. Ie shooting in a safe way with consideration of where the bullets go.

Now I would worry if Cheney was shooting behind my house.

I don't think we even have police after 7pm.... :) after 7 pm they go home and are on call..... so if you want to speed...after 7pm, no problem! :D
Sounds like us. Only we have one sherrif on duty at that period of time. Elbert County is HUGE...

really usc? What about stray bullets? I can't imagine how its safe to do that unless you're aiming into a big hill.

really usc? What about stray bullets? I can't imagine how its safe to do that unless you're aiming into a big hill.

Yep agreed. That is why I feel in some flat states hunting with anything above a shotgun should not be allowed.
You need to figure out before you shoot where the bullet can wind up.
If Cheney had only done this.

Yep Barney and Andy have to go home and eat supper....

hahahaha! That is about what it is like! I live in Mayberry, only smaller!

but what is cool is that the two big cities are not far at all from here, matt works in Bangor and that is only about 25 miles inland and the other resort cities of Ellsworth about 15 miles and Bar Harbor about 20 miles and state road US1 is only 2 miles from our property so we can get to anything fairly easily. The grocery store, and 2 major hardware stores are only 4 miles away, post office a mile and a half and a mom and pop grocery is a mile and a half too, along with a gas station, which isn't bad at all!

So I live in a rural area...the country, but amenities are near by.

Yes care , sounds pretty much like where I live in KY. Within one hours drive I can be pretty much anywhere I need to be. Shopping, medical centers, airport, etc...

Sounds like us. Only we have one sherrif on duty at that period of time. Elbert County is HUGE...
We have a constable (sp?) we really don't have police, I don't know what they are called.... we don't even have schools, they go to school in the surrounding town's schools...

It is soooooo cool! We love it! It is a great new experience for us so far....

we have a pair of eagles that have decided to claim this area as theirs, we see them every day now, maybe three to four times a day we get a spotting....they are not Bald Eagles though....when we were staying at the cabin on the lake we had a bald eagle that did fly bys there.... a real bald eagle, the first time I had ever seen one.

If I know they are shooting into a back drop I'd be okay with that so long as it was relatively quiet.

It wasn't quiet.

And I wouldn't expect it to be.... :)

They were shooting at a target of some sort because I could make that out from the shouting when they hit it.

I have never heard gun shots of any kind before moving here.

It wasn't quiet.

And I wouldn't expect it to be.... :)

They were shooting at a target of some sort because I could make that out from the shouting when they hit it.

I have never heard gun shots of any kind before moving here.

Ugh. I couldn't take it. Especially if I had kids around.

Back