Short list of recommended scriptural readings

Considering that those evil (and worse) have been done in the name of religion, I don't see how you can claim moral superiority.

To answer your question, yes, we're meat machines. Unfortunately, there is no evidence of a soul or an afterlife, and since I'm a realist, I can't believe in religion.
Dude, are you seriously conflating religions of mankind with your impossible to prove "God doesn't exist"?

Great. So you agree killing the poor, the mentally ill and other losers is a twofer: it ends their misery and frees up assets for those of us who are more productive.

What evil of religion? You just agreed that there are no universal morals. Might makes Right. Survival of the Fittest. If an advanced nation needs more resources or "living space" then it's logical to take it. If the lesser developed people are in the way, then eradicate them just like rats in a building. What's wrong with that?

Religion = dogma. I'm not religious myself, but that is different from believing there is more to existence than being a meat robot.

God doesn't exist.

I'm agnostic, so I don't know, and I also don't limit my reading to the preferred canon of one team or the other team. I'm as likely to read works by the noteworthy atheists Frederich Nietzsche and Richard Dawkins, as I am to read the Gospel of Luke or the Dhammapada.

I don't see the need or necessity to just read one team's favorite books.

I have gotten as much out of reading the Daodejing and the Analects of Confucius as I have gotten out of reading my physics and chemistry college textbooks.

He ran from my questions. I doubt it was to find references for a logical reply. Sad.

I think this project of mine was more about the genre of moral philosophy and ontology.

If fiction is the topic, I've read the crap out of Michael Crichton, Arthur C. Clark, Steven King, Dan Brown, Tom Clancy, Ann Rice, etc. But am always open to more suggestions.

A List of Recommend Scriptural Readings

Hinduism
If you read only one text from Hinduism, it should be the Bhagavad Gita.

Judaism
For Judaism, you might try something from each of the three. sections of the Tanakh. From the Torah, you might sample Genesis, which includes some of the most famous stories in the Hebrew Bible. From the Prophets, read 2 Isaiah (chapters 40–55), which most scholars date to the 6th century B.C.E., during the Babylonian Exile. From the Writings, try the brief book of Ruth, a simple yet
moving tale of ordinary people and extraordinary kindness.

Trumpism
If you spend four years worshiping and groveling at the feet of Donald Trumpf, consider reading Art of the Deal, or Commander in Cheat: How Golf Explains Trump.

Buddhism
One of the most beloved texts from the Theravada tradition of Buddhism is the Dhammapada, which sets forth the basic principles of Buddhist doctrine and morality. The canon of Mahayana Buddhism is vast, but one book considered by many to be the fullest. expression of the Buddha’s teachings is the Lotus Sutra. Read the first four chapters, which include the parables of the burning house and the prodigal son.

East Asian religions
For East Asian religion and philosophy, read the Analects of Confucius and the Daodejing. The Analects are brief, fairly straightforward sayings of Confucius. The Daodejing was originally an anonymous collection of wisdom sayings that was later attributed to Laozi and eventually elevated to the status of a divine text.

Christianity
Recommended readings for Christianity include one of the gospels, perhaps Luke; the book of Acts, which offers a history of the early Christian movement; and something from Paul, either Romans or 1 Corinthians. I also recommend the Epistle of James, which is arguably the world's first communist manifesto.

Islam
The Qur’an, with its 114 suras, is a bit long. Newcomers might want to start with some of the shorter, earlier, more lyrical revelations toward the end of the volume, then read a few of the longer suras that appear at the beginning
(2, “The Cow”; 4, “Women”; and 5, “The Table”).

Sikhism
The Adi Granth is the paramount scripture of Sikhism. Two recommended readings in this tradition are The Name of My Beloved: Verses of the Sikh Gurus, translated by Nikky-Guninder Kaur Singh, and Songs of the Saints from the Adi Granth, translated by Nirmal Dass.

Source credit: Grant Hardy, Ph.D., Professor of History and Religious Studies, University of North Carolina

The list isn't quite short enough for me,
but I do appreciate the effort, my Russian friend.

I think this project of mine was more about the genre of moral philosophy and ontology.

If fiction is the topic, I've read the crap out of Michael Crichton, Arthur C. Clark, Steven King, Dan Brown, Tom Clancy, Ann Rice, etc. But am always open to more suggestions.

Agreed on the subject matter. One theory of time and reality is that everything that can happen is happening albeit in different timelines. Existence is a series of forks-in-the-road. People have choices. The range may be narrow, but there are still choices to be made even if only in their attitude.

Mr. America made a choice to express his hatred of religion and the impossible-to-prove claim "God doesn't exist." I made a choice in confronting him on it as opposed to ignoring him.

The list isn't quite short enough for me,
but I do appreciate the effort, my Russian friend.
I don't set unrealistic goals for myself. Edward Gibbons' Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire is still metaphorically gathering dust on my Shelf!

The Bhagavad Gita, Daodejing, Analects of Confucius, Dhammapada, Gospel of Luke are all short enough they can each be read in an afternoon.

I don't set unrealistic goals for myself. Edward Gibbons Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire is still metaphorically gathering dust on my Shelf!

The Bhagavad Gita, Daodejing, Analects of Confucius, Dhammapada, Gospel of Luke are all short enough they can each be read in an afternoon.

I see no mention of the Mickey Spillane Mike Hammer novels, Cypress.

Perhaps we BOTH need to broaden the vistas of our minds.:laugh:

Agreed on the subject matter. One theory of time and reality is that everything that can happen is happening albeit in different timelines. Existence is a series of forks-in-the-road. People have choices. The range may be narrow, but there are still choices to be made even if only in their attitude.

Mr. America made a choice to express his hatred of religion and the impossible-to-prove claim "God doesn't exist." I made a choice in confronting him on it as opposed to ignoring him.

A lot of the reading materials in the OP don't have anything to do with God. Confucious spoke very little about an afterlife or cosmic deity. Buddhism and Daoism don't have creator gods. In Asian traditions, there isn't a crystal clear boundary between philosophy and religion.

On the internet in America, I think when people see anything written about religion, their mind automatically conjures up an image of a old bearded guy in a white robe.

We probably have Michelangelo to blame for that.

I see no mention of the Mickey Spillane Mike Hammer novels, Cypress.

Perhaps we BOTH need to broaden the vistas of our minds.:laugh:

I read the crap out of Tom Clancy, Dean Koontz, Steven King, et al.
I don't think anyone of my generation is reading Mickey Spillane, and if they are they are in a small minority!

I read the crap out of Tom Clancy, Dean Koontz, Steven King, et al.
I don't think anyone of my generation is reading Mickey Spillane, and if they are they are in a small minority!

Well, I may be from the tie-dyed and Birkenstock generation
but my soul is from the trenchcoat and fedora generation.

I imagine it shows.

Well, I may be from the tie-dyed and Birkenstock generation
but my soul is from the trenchcoat and fedora generation.

I imagine it shows.

Speaking of fedoras, I think the best fashions were from the 1920s through 1930s.

Can't say I was ever a fan of fringe on leather suede jackets, or "big hair" of the 1980s.

A lot of the reading materials in the OP don't have anything to do with God. Confucious spoke very little about an afterlife or cosmic deity. Buddhism and Daoism don't have creator gods. In Asian traditions, there isn't a crystal clear boundary between philosophy and religion.

On the internet in America, I think when people see anything written about religion, their mind automatically conjures up an image of a old bearded guy in a white robe.

We probably have Michelangelo to blame for that.

OTOH, some people just like to hate and will look for reasons to excuse it.

Dude, are you seriously conflating religions of mankind with your impossible to prove "God doesn't exist"?

Great. So you agree killing the poor, the mentally ill and other losers is a twofer: it ends their misery and frees up assets for those of us who are more productive.

What evil of religion? You just agreed that there are no universal morals. Might makes Right. Survival of the Fittest. If an advanced nation needs more resources or "living space" then it's logical to take it. If the lesser developed people are in the way, then eradicate them just like rats in a building. What's wrong with that?

Religion = dogma. I'm not religious myself, but that is different from believing there is more to existence than being a meat robot.

Tell me one good thing religion has done, and tell me why you need to be religious to do this one thing.

Tell me one good thing religion has done, and tell me why you need to be religious to do this one thing.
Again, you are proving yourself to be a fucking moron by conflating religion and the belief that there is something more to existence than what is in front of your nose.

If you were more than semi-literate, you'd have read that I'm not religious. Thanks for, once again, dodging the hard questions and simply proving you're just another hater.

Back