Should philosophy be a mandatory part of compulsory education?

You do realize the huge contradictions in this post don't you? How can our education system both suck horribly and yet only accept the best and brightest of foreign students?

I said our finest institutions of learning are where foreign nationals fill the student bodies of these schools because foreign nationals are better academically equipped than American students to fill them.

Who's doing the teaching?

How about the honest, unbiased, non-partisans? Oh! That’s right humans are incapable of those traits, huh?

What do you mean by "strict" does that include extrapolation? Inference?
What about accepted dictionary definitions of words as they’re used in particular context? Oh! That’s right that wouldn’t be any fun at all for the righties & lefties, huh?

You'd have 10,000 different classes none of which said the same thing.

Oh! How true that is!!!! Such a fucking shame, huh? I keep forgetting that the world is ruled by bigots, ideologues, partisans and fucking crooks.

An old preacher once said, “Humans have never shown that they could govern themselves successfully for any extended period of time.” Truer words were never spoken.

An old politician once said, “The tree of liberty must be fertilized from time to time with the blood of tyrants and patriots, it is a natural manure.”

Mandatory philosophy? Only the basics. Very basics.

We need to teach more pragmatic things to the masses, imo.
Philosophy should be an elective or its equivilant in primary education.

What do they do? Everyone I know took it and instead I took PoliSci, so I have no clue what a philosophy class is like. I'd hope you have a bunch of the Roman stuff, like Cicero, and the Greeks, Plato, Artistotle, Socrates, etc. And can't forget Hegel, Kant, and the Victorians era bunch. And then there are the slew of Enlightenment thinkers like Locke, Voltaire, Hobbes, etc.
They hit most of those though the romanic stuff is few and far between, there's a good deal of focus on the shifting view of truth and morality over time. Interesting stuff but not worthy of a major in my opinion, you'd be better to go sociology and minor in PHIL

They hit most of those though the romanic stuff is few and far between, there's a good deal of focus on the shifting view of truth and morality over time. Interesting stuff but not worthy of a major in my opinion, you'd be better to go sociology and minor in PHIL

See....it could be great in the right academic setting. People don't put the value in philosophy that they should

It would be too controversial and I don't see much value.

For a social conservative on here to complain about the lack of STEM ready students is really absurd. Maybe if they did not tell their kids that science education was really a Marxist plot and supported by evidence provided by the Devil we would not have such problems.

Mandatory philosophy? Only the basics. Very basics.

We need to teach more pragmatic things to the masses, imo.
Philosophy should be an elective or its equivilant in primary education.

I agree and I don't. Philosophy lets students develop an awareness and global understanding. While STEM and more practical subjects are important, they teach only the skills needed for a field, not a rapidly changing world. How can you justify a divide in conscience based on class? We become human only when we recognize and navigate the world's intricacies. See, it's a matter of personal and social enrichment, not merely of economics. I'm sure, being influenced by Nietzsche, you can agree with this.

"Councillor Sincero, who is an industrialist, merely shows himself to be of the harsh bourgeoisie when he protests so against philosophy.
Certainly, for the harsh bourgeois industrialists, it might be more useful to have worker-machines instead of worker-men. Yet the sacrifices which society makes in order for progress, in order for the best, most perfect men to fly from its nest, who themselves will help to improve things even further, should see a wealth of returns which benefit the whole of society, not just one type of person, or class." - Antonio Gramsci

I agree and I don't. Philosophy lets students develop an awareness and global understanding. While STEM and more practical subjects are important, they teach only the skills needed for a field, not a rapidly changing world. How can you justify a divide in conscience based on class? We become human only when we recognize and navigate the world's intricacies. See, it's a matter of personal and social enrichment, not merely of economics. I'm sure, being influenced by Nietzsche, you can agree with this.

"Councillor Sincero, who is an industrialist, merely shows himself to be of the harsh bourgeoisie when he protests so against philosophy.
Certainly, for the harsh bourgeois industrialists, it might be more useful to have worker-machines instead of worker-men. Yet the sacrifices which society makes in order for progress, in order for the best, most perfect men to fly from its nest, who themselves will help to improve things even further, should see a wealth of returns which benefit the whole of society, not just one type of person, or class." - Antonio Gramsci

Philosophy is one of those touchy subjects. It's important to learn about the major people, the differences between destiny and choice. But how much etymology or meta-thinking will the average person be doing, or even interested in? Are you more concerned about the ideas or the people who brought them?

I think a basic course should be offered for about middle school in our current system. Then high school should offer it as an elective.

I would like to see schools specialize more, honestly.

yeah the kids are just too stupid to teach anything to.

That is how the right sees the world.

through a reverse magnifying glass

Everyone whos not them is small and they are really really big

Back