Simple Healthcare Math

meme

:readit:

The Obama media seem to be wringing their hands over the possibility that President Obama's attempt to nationalize America's healthcare could go down in flames, despite ABC's upcoming White House telethon. Politico reluctantly acknowledged that a trillion dollars does seem like an awfully large number to most voters:

That is why Democrats admit that it was a public relations disaster this week when the Congressional Budget Office issued a report this week concluding, from a partial draft of a Senate health committee bill, that the plan would cost $1 trillion over 10 years but only provide coverage for 16 million of the estimated 50 million Americans who are uninsured.

The Washington Post reported that the CBO cost estimate for another draft version of the bill is $1.6 trillion. In the same story, Senator Judd Gregg (R-NH) was quoted as saying the price tag easily could reach $2 trillion. For sake of argument, let's assume the middle estimate of $1.6T is valid and it would cover 16 million Americans.

Why didn't Mr. Obama downplay the $1.6T CBO report as sensationalism, and point out that it actually would cost a "mere" $160 billion, on average, per year? Perhaps it is because once he starts to break down the number into understandable chunks, he risks spotlighting the relatively high per-capita cost of his program.

A hundred and sixty billion dollars per year is $13.3B per month to insure only 16 million people. That works out to about $833 per subscriber. That might be a good price for a 75-year-old, but Medicare already covers them. Mr. Obama wants taxpayers to insure Americans in their 30s, 40s, and 50s.

A quick scan of the Anthem Blue Cross website shows that society could get a much better deal in the private sector -- even without a 16-million person group rate. A Santa Monica, California 50-year-old male can get a $3500 deductible HSA policy for $172 per month. That includes drug coverage and no co-pay for office visits after the deductible is met.

If the subscriber is healthy enough not to reach the deductible amount in a given year, his average variable cost ranges from zero to $292 per month, plus the $172 fixed cost, or a maximum total of $464. And since that is a health savings account policy, the $292 reduces his taxable income. If the Santa Monica resident's combined marginal state and federal tax rate is 30 percent, his total monthly after-tax cost is no more than $204 to cover the deductible amount, plus $172 for the insurance premium, a maximum total of $376.

Granted, women in their childbearing years pay more for maternity coverage, but having a baby is a voluntary step (especially with free abortion clinics), theoretically taken by those that can afford it. Policies with no maternity benefits are available for 30-year-olds at well under a hundred dollars per month.
13 Comments on "Simple Healthcare Math"

from.http://www.americanthinker.com/2009/06/simple_healthcare_math.html

:readit:

The Obama media seem to be wringing their hands over the possibility that President Obama's attempt to nationalize America's healthcare could go down in flames, despite ABC's upcoming White House telethon. Politico reluctantly acknowledged that a trillion dollars does seem like an awfully large number to most voters:

That is why Democrats admit that it was a public relations disaster this week when the Congressional Budget Office issued a report this week concluding, from a partial draft of a Senate health committee bill, that the plan would cost $1 trillion over 10 years but only provide coverage for 16 million of the estimated 50 million Americans who are uninsured.

The Washington Post reported that the CBO cost estimate for another draft version of the bill is $1.6 trillion. In the same story, Senator Judd Gregg (R-NH) was quoted as saying the price tag easily could reach $2 trillion. For sake of argument, let's assume the middle estimate of $1.6T is valid and it would cover 16 million Americans.

Why didn't Mr. Obama downplay the $1.6T CBO report as sensationalism, and point out that it actually would cost a "mere" $160 billion, on average, per year? Perhaps it is because once he starts to break down the number into understandable chunks, he risks spotlighting the relatively high per-capita cost of his program.

A hundred and sixty billion dollars per year is $13.3B per month to insure only 16 million people. That works out to about $833 per subscriber. That might be a good price for a 75-year-old, but Medicare already covers them. Mr. Obama wants taxpayers to insure Americans in their 30s, 40s, and 50s.

A quick scan of the Anthem Blue Cross website shows that society could get a much better deal in the private sector -- even without a 16-million person group rate. A Santa Monica, California 50-year-old male can get a $3500 deductible HSA policy for $172 per month. That includes drug coverage and no co-pay for office visits after the deductible is met.

If the subscriber is healthy enough not to reach the deductible amount in a given year, his average variable cost ranges from zero to $292 per month, plus the $172 fixed cost, or a maximum total of $464. And since that is a health savings account policy, the $292 reduces his taxable income. If the Santa Monica resident's combined marginal state and federal tax rate is 30 percent, his total monthly after-tax cost is no more than $204 to cover the deductible amount, plus $172 for the insurance premium, a maximum total of $376.

Granted, women in their childbearing years pay more for maternity coverage, but having a baby is a voluntary step (especially with free abortion clinics), theoretically taken by those that can afford it. Policies with no maternity benefits are available for 30-year-olds at well under a hundred dollars per month.
13 Comments on "Simple Healthcare Math"

from.http://www.americanthinker.com/2009/06/simple_healthcare_math.html

Christ on crutches, where to start?

Firstly, the CBO performed its analysis on a partial bill that doesn't reflect anything that is under consideration in Congress right now. And it sure as shit doesn't reflect what Obama has said he wants in a healthcare bill.

The most interesting thing about this debate is that the bnest way to drive down the price tag of a healthcare bill and ensuring that you increase coverage is to do the one thing that Republicans have said is a non-starter: include a public plan. The trouble is that Republicans and some Democrats alike have deemed a public option a non-starter. it's a screwed up Catch-22 where you can't do healthcare reform because it costs too much and the best way to bring the price down is (for now) politically impossible.

Everyone that knows that the public plan is the best way to drive the costs down. Everyone also know that a public plan is the best way to decrease the number of uninsured. Additionally, a public plan is overwhelmingly popular, polling at about 70% in favor. Notwithstanding all that, a public plan is at present, out of the question. The entrenched corporate interests have the Senate on lock-down.

Christ on crutches, where to start?

Firstly, the CBO performed its analysis on a partial bill that doesn't reflect anything that is under consideration in Congress right now. And it sure as shit doesn't reflect what Obama has said he wants in a healthcare bill.

The most interesting thing about this debate is that the bnest way to drive down the price tag of a healthcare bill and ensuring that you increase coverage is to do the one thing that Republicans have said is a non-starter: include a public plan. The trouble is that Republicans and some Democrats alike have deemed a public option a non-starter. it's a screwed up Catch-22 where you can't do healthcare reform because it costs too much and the best way to bring the price down is (for now) politically impossible.

Everyone that knows that the public plan is the best way to drive the costs down. Everyone also know that a public plan is the best way to decrease the number of uninsured. Additionally, a public plan is overwhelmingly popular, polling at about 70% in favor. Notwithstanding all that, a public plan is at present, out of the question. The entrenched corporate interests have the Senate on lock-down.

everybody in this country can now get health care one way or another..we do not need Socialized health care....I PAY ENOUGH...medicare, medicaid, welfare....thanks..

everybody in this country can now get health care one way or another..we do not need Socialized health care....I PAY ENOUGH...medicare, medicaid, welfare....thanks..

Rest easy, my friend. No one is proposing socialized healthcare.

Are you going to bother responding to my post? I understand that you are opposed to healthcare reform. Given what you posted I thought that your opposition was based on the costs involved. Is that the case or is your opposition simply based on tribalism.

Rest easy, my friend. No one is proposing socialized healthcare.

Are you going to bother responding to my post? I understand that you are opposed to health care reform. Given what you posted I thought that your opposition was based on the costs involved. Is that the case or is your opposition simply based on tribalism.

I pay enough for other peoples damn health care...medicare, medicaid, welfare..any able bodied American citizen has a duty to go to work and take care of themselves...
I don't need to PAY ANYMORE..

I pay enough for other peoples damn health care...medicare, medicaid, welfare..any able bodied American citizen has a duty to go to work and take care of themselves...
I don't need to PAY ANYMORE..

OK. But what if int he grand scheme of things you would pay less?

OK. But what if int he grand scheme of things you would pay less?

start with tort reform and get the damn Government strangling regulations out of health care, and having to pay for every illegal immigrant who is in this country and it will begin to go down...We damn sure don't need the Obama and the Democrats running anything...

Yeah, I decided to just let this one die on the vine. Banging my head against the wall would be more enjoyable than continuing this conversation with meme.

Awww, let me call a whambulance for all you intellectuals that can't communicate with us little unedumacted peons...waaaaaa

Here ya go...

4076424824.jpg

Yeah, I decided to just let this one die on the vine. Banging my head against the wall would be more enjoyable than continuing this conversation with meme.

You expected something other than self-absorbed, "me first" politics from someone whose screen name is "me" X 2?

You expected something other than self-absorbed, "me first" politics from someone whose screen name is "me" X 2?

you looking in a mirror again?

You damn right it's me first...you are free to make it on your own..It's not my job to take care of yours or others whiny ass who are able bodied to work and take care of themselves....

Last edited:
And right THERE ladies and gentlemen, in that one sentence, is the sentiment that lies at the heart of what's wrong with this country.

No Bucko, liberals like you are what's wrong with this country...I said, I already take care of enough people with medicaid, medicare, welfare, etc...

go give all your paycheck to the government to spend on other's, I don't care...keep your grubby hands off my wallet to pay for your social utopia.....

Back