Spanish Olympic basketball team in 'racist' photo row

I saw this. It reminded me of this just awful thing I did, I think it was last year. I was sitting at the work station of the girl who always does my nails, and of course there is a mirror there, with really bad lighting, and I immediately began to obsess over myself. (she wasn’t there yet and they are mostly Korean in this shop). So what do you think I do? I swear to God, this is so dumb you won’t believe it, but I did it. I actually pulled at the sides of my head to see if I needed an eyelift, and she came back and gave me a really odd look. So all of a sudden, just like bam, I realized, OMG I looked like I was doing what they did here. Well, I almost died. And I started stuttering, Ann, I was just trying to see if I need an eyelift yet, see? It was awful.

TY Darla, the mental image of that gave me a much needed laugh as I take a break from wading thru Loss Runs.

I am guessing that the entire Spanish basketball team wasn't wondering about face lifts?

In the Spanish people there is a mixture of Gothic, Frankish and Moorish blood. One can speak of the Spaniard as one would speak of a brave anarachist. The Arabian epoch - the Arabs look down on the Turks as they do on dogs - was the most cultured, the most intellectual and in every way best and happiest epoch in Spanish history. It was followed by the period of the persecutions with its unceasing atrocities.

I'd rather have teeth pulled than to deal any further with Franco! I can't believe the Spainards elected Franco, what stupidity.

TY Darla, the mental image of that gave me a much needed laugh as I take a break from wading thru Loss Runs.

I am guessing that the entire Spanish basketball team wasn't wondering about face lifts?

No probably not. It sounded like those dopes actually thought they were doing “we’re all Asians today” moment…I’m not sure they meant it in a racist way, but maybe, who knows.
For me, I can proudly claim pure stupidity and absolutely no racist intent.

No probably not. It sounded like those dopes actually thought they were doing “we’re all Asians today” moment…I’m not sure they meant it in a racist way, but maybe, who knows.
For me, I can proudly claim pure stupidity and absolutely no racist intent.

I mean, I really probably should claim the insanity defense on that one.

I saw this. It reminded me of this just awful thing I did, I think it was last year. I was sitting at the work station of the girl who always does my nails, and of course there is a mirror there, with really bad lighting, and I immediately began to obsess over myself. (she wasn’t there yet and they are mostly Korean in this shop). So what do you think I do? I swear to God, this is so dumb you won’t believe it, but I did it. I actually pulled at the sides of my head to see if I needed an eyelift, and she came back and gave me a really odd look. So all of a sudden, just like bam, I realized, OMG I looked like I was doing what they did here. Well, I almost died. And I started stuttering, Ann, I was just trying to see if I need an eyelift yet, see? It was awful.

Well, that's a totally innocent mistake. did you say something like, "man, I think its time I had an eye lift or something?"

Well, that's a totally innocent mistake. did you say something like, "man, I think its time I had an eye lift or something?"

No, even in my mortification, I wouldn’t go that far. I said, that I was just checking to see if I needed one yet, but obviously the answer was that I don’t. lol. But she got it, because she did start laughing after I explained. She doesn’t speak great English so it was touch and go.

I love how the story called them "Oriental". It's like time travel or something.

I used to refer to asians as "oriental" until I saw that real world episode where the woman was really offended by that word.

I never said it again.

I used to refer to asians as "oriental" until I saw that real world episode where the woman was really offended by that word.

I never said it again.

Um... I am assuming from the above that there is a negative connotation to the word... since I do not know what it is.... someone care to enlighten me?

Um... I am assuming from the above that there is a negative connotation to the word... since I do not know what it is.... someone care to enlighten me?

Well, I believe she said that oriental was a type of rug, not a person.

I never quite got why it was so offensive, but it is so I don't use the word.

I never said it again.

I always did too. Then several years ago, I used the word, and someone said to me, in a pained way, “it’s Asian honey”. And I’m like, huh? But I could tell that Oriental had become offensive, and you know, I always forgot to ask when and how. But ever since then, I always say “Asian” unless I am talking about dinner, because I don’t like to step into these minefields.

I always did too. Then several years ago, I used the word, and someone said to me, in a pained way, “it’s Asian honey”. And I’m like, huh? But I could tell that Oriental had become offensive, and you know, I always forgot to ask when and how. But ever since then, I always say “Asian” unless I am talking about dinner, because I don’t like to step into these minefields.

LOL.

Yeah, that was pretty much my experience. Not quite sure how or when but I don't use it to refer to people either.

LOL.

Yeah, that was pretty much my experience. Not quite sure how or when but I don't use it to refer to people either.

It is kind of funny, because these things just evolve, and you can really get caught behind and look like a fool. But as soon as you get Q’d in you’re all like ready to sniff at the next person who says the word… “OMG, it’s Asian now, were you raised by wolves?” And look at SF..why is he even asking questions? You’re a white guy, you have no standing to be asking any questions. I mean, I’m white, but at least I’m a woman, and I still don’t ask any questions. Someone says “we don’t use that word any more it’s considered offensive now” and I say “You bet” and I never use it again. He is just the kind of half-cocked fool who will start some sort of international incident – and didn’t he say he was planning on international traveling soon? One of us better get him a notebook.

He's also Asian. I haven't used the word since the 70s. It went the way of "Negro" long ago.

Really, that happened in the 70’s? Well you were decades ahead of me Damo. I guess I am really out of the loop…certainly compared to the prodigy anyway.

Well, I believe she said that oriental was a type of rug, not a person.

I never quite got why it was so offensive, but it is so I don't use the word.

oh.... ok. I think most people today say Asian anyway... but thanks for the update, I was unaware it was deemed offensive.

Back