Spanish Olympic basketball team in 'racist' photo row

True, but you are a woman, which means we must of course get verification from a reliable source.... a man.

:pke:

I once wrote a really funny article about that, and it got published in Newsday. I got the idea for it when twice in the same week, some man had to verify what I had told them. The first incident was when I told the guy in the 7/11 that the ATM didn’t work, and he actually took my card from me to try it himself, and then RUBBED the card, as if that would clear up the problem, and then finally said “Huh, the machine must be broke”. The second incident was went to tell the gas station guy that the pump didn’t work, and he came out because I must be doing something wrong, tried it several different ways, and then concluded “huh, it must be broke”. Of course, in both cases I was sooo relieved once it had been verified by some man.

I once wrote a really funny article about that, and it got published in Newsday. I got the idea for it when twice in the same week, some man had to verify what I had told them. The first incident was when I told the guy in the 7/11 that the ATM didn’t work, and he actually took my card from me to try it himself, and then RUBBED the card, as if that would clear up the problem, and then finally said “Huh, the machine must be broke”. The second incident was went to tell the gas station guy that the pump didn’t work, and he came out because I must be doing something wrong, tried it several different ways, and then concluded “huh, it must be broke”. Of course, in both cases I was sooo relieved once it had been verified by some man.

:)

I have no problem not using the word "oriental" if its offensive. But I am always gonna ask questions. If thats a problem because I am a white male, its just gonna have to be a problem.

But I wonder about all the geographically based ethicities.

African-americans are not africans, they are americans.

Asians may or may not be from asia. Their ancestors may have lived in asia, but they may be 4th generation americans.

The term oriental, as I recall, was the term used to identify asians in the same way "caucasian" was used to identify white folks. It started as a scientific term for a certain race.

Do you know why?

Damo... feel free to answer as well... I would seriously like to know.
Oriental is a word used for things, not people.

You would seek out an "Oriental Market" for instance (this would be one that catered to various Asian cultures), or an "Oriental rug", but the people are Asian. If the aforementioned market were to cater to a specific culture, it would be more direct. "Tibetan Market" for instance.

Oriental is a word used for things, not people.

You would seek out an "Oriental Market" for instance (this would be one that catered to various Asian cultures), or an "Oriental rug", but the people are Asian. If the aforementioned market were to cater to a specific culture, it would be more direct. "Tibetan Market" for instance.

what are you, a moron?

an oriental is anyone who is Northeast Asian or Southeast Asian

I have no problem not using the word "oriental" if its offensive. But I am always gonna ask questions. If thats a problem because I am a white male, its just gonna have to be a problem.

But I wonder about all the geographically based ethicities.

African-americans are not africans, they are americans.

Asians may or may not be from asia. Their ancestors may have lived in asia, but they may be 4th generation americans.

The term oriental, as I recall, was the term used to identify asians in the same way "caucasian" was used to identify white folks. It started as a scientific term for a certain race.

African-American is how we choose to define ourselves .. no matter what country of orgin we may be from, without question, we are Africans .. in America, displaced Africans.

Being "American" implys one has the freedom of being American .. we have relative freedom in America and have only had that for 42 years.

This episode with the Spanish team should make for a REAL interesting game on Saturday when they face a team of black Americans.

It appears the Spanish don't seem to know what is racist .. here's what was said when Spanish fans were screaming monkey chants at black british soccer players ...

"Although we are, together with the fans, players and clubs, trying to eradicate this kind of behaviour, I still find it deeply hurtful and troubling," said Angel María Villar, president of the Spanish Football Federation. But Juan Castro, a journalist on the sports daily Marca, believed monkey chanting "does not have a racist cause. It is a way of insulting the enemy team. It has a football cause, not a racial motivation. The England game was a cultural thing. It was a joke. It wasn't racist."

Can't wait for Saturday .. it will be like watching the 1966 NCAA Basketball Championship all over again.

what are you, a moron?

an oriental is anyone who is Northeast Asian or Southeast Asian
No, I am not a "moron", I am explaining why Asian people do not like to be called "Oriental".

If we had gone further into the discussion I would explain why they most definitely hate to all be called "Chinese" (except the actual Chinese, of course), and how they separate themselves into different areas such as "East-Asian".

But heck, ignorance is great when painted on a public forum. Continue in it if you wish. Splash it on yourself like cologne, but it won't change that in mixed company or educated company you will just look like a fool.

What a spanking the US team put on the Spanish team.

They won by about 40 points.

However, after seeing the Spanish team play and listening to their response to the incident, I believe they are sincere with their apology.

By the way, the US womens team is even more dominant.

What a spanking the US team put on the Spanish team.

They won by about 40 points.

However, after seeing the Spanish team play and listening to their response to the incident, I believe they are sincere with their apology.

By the way, the US womens team is even more dominant.

IS UR NAME A PUN OF THE INFAMOUS BLACK COAL AND DE SEBEN DWARVES?!?!?!!??!

No, I am not a "moron", I am explaining why Asian people do not like to be called "Oriental".

If we had gone further into the discussion I would explain why they most definitely hate to all be called "Chinese" (except the actual Chinese, of course), and how they separate themselves into different areas such as "East-Asian".

But heck, ignorance is great when painted on a public forum. Continue in it if you wish. Splash it on yourself like cologne, but it won't change that in mixed company or educated company you will just look like a fool.

Take up the White Man's burden--
In patience to abide,
To veil the threat of terror
And check the show of pride;

Back