"Speak English" signs ruled OK at Philly shop

That's my experience too. The Quebecois are nazis about their language.

That's no excuse for us. Bush voters have solemnly lectured us that we must make sustained efforts to learn the foreign language of any nation we visit or live in for extended periods. Laughable.

Americans are the culturally the most arrogant and least sensitive nation in the developed world. Anyone who has any international experience can attest to this. Few american professionals or business types who go over to europe or asia, to work in a foreign affiliate for an extended period, bothers to make any sustained effort to become fluent in the native language. Business meeting in international affiliates in Norway, Germany, or Denmark are typically conducted in ENGLISH, for the benefit and courtesy of the american guests. Speaking in in english in their country In contrast, all the norwegians, swiss, germans, brazilians, and french that I know that came here to work in an american affiliate of a mulitnational corp were competent and fluent in our native toungue, english.

English is the most spoken language internationally in business. I'm not sure why that's a bad thing to you or why it is somehow America's fault.

Back