Superdelegate thing is sickening

Onceler

Obama wins all 3 primaries yesterday, by a wide margin, and swept every contest this past weekend.

So what happened between yesterday & today? Almost 20 new Superdelegates committed to Hillary, according to realclearpolitics, keeping her closer than she really is in the "delegate counts."

WTF? First of all, there is no way any of these people should publicly "commit" to anyone until the convention. Second of all, if they do, they should at least try to keep in line with the clear will of the voters. Third, THEY SHOULDN'T EVEN EXIST.

If Obama wins real delegates, and the SD's turn this over to Hillary in the end, there should be books published & websites created listing every one of their names, where they hold elected office and when the next opportunity will be to vote for their opponent.

Obama wins all 3 primaries yesterday, by a wide margin, and swept every contest this past weekend.

So what happened between yesterday & today? Almost 20 new Superdelegates committed to Hillary, according to realclearpolitics, keeping her closer than she really is in the "delegate counts."

WTF? First of all, there is no way any of these people should publicly "commit" to anyone until the convention. Second of all, if they do, they should at least try to keep in line with the clear will of the voters. Third, THEY SHOULDN'T EVEN EXIST.

If Obama wins real delegates, and the SD's turn this over to Hillary in the end, there should be books published & websites created listing every one of their names, where they hold elected office and when the next opportunity will be to vote for their opponent.

Did you see the story of the WI "superdelegate" having breakfast with Chelsea, getting phone calls from Bill Clinton and John Kerry etc....????

He is a STUDENT at Marquette.

Did you see the story of the WI "superdelegate" having breakfast with Chelsea, getting phone calls from Bill Clinton and John Kerry etc....????

He is a STUDENT at Marquette.

Yeah - I saw that. Un-friggin' believable; I'm glad they showed it. I just hope more people start to see that side of it; it's basically the opposite of democracy.

How do they even decide who is an SD?

I thought that it was just governers and federal reps, but that doesn't seem to be true. And SD's are getting a bigger and bigger part of the convention. It's becoming just like the old situation with the dinosaur ex-officio mayors deciding the result of the convention decades after they had been out of office.

Yeah - I saw that. Un-friggin' believable; I'm glad they showed it. I just hope more people start to see that side of it; it's basically the opposite of democracy.

yeah, apparently in WI you "run" to be a superdelegate. He knocked off a couple others to get to be the superdelegate. Anyone care to wager how many of his college friends voted for him?

I am personally glad the Dems have these superdelegates. It provides amusement. If the supers shift the nomination to Hillary against the actual delegates majority, it will be really interesting to see what kind of backlash (if any) there is from the Dem voters.

Of course, Hillary is trumpeting the need for SD's to remain "independent," and vote only for who they personally feel is the "best choice for President."

“Superdelegates are, by design, supposed to exercise independent judgment,” she said at a news conference in Maine, according to MSNBC. “But, of course, if Senator Obama and his campaign continue to push this position, which is really contrary to what the definition of a superdelegate has historically been, I will look forward to receiving the support of Senator Kennedy and Senator Kerry.”

How do they even decide who is an SD?

I thought that it was just governers and federal reps, but that doesn't seem to be true. And SD's are getting a bigger and bigger part of the convention. It's becoming just like the old situation with the dinosaur ex-officio mayors deciding the result of the convention decades after they had been out of office.

The article on Rae said that he "ran" for the position of superdelgate.

yeah, apparently in WI you "run" to be a superdelegate. He knocked off a couple others to get to be the superdelegate. Anyone care to wager how many of his college friends voted for him?

And people continue to wonder why the youth are usually disillusioned with politics...

Assuming he did get a lot of his "college friends" to vote for him, WTF is wrong with that? Should they not have a voice. Should they have just stayed home?

The SD system is fucking retarded, but if it's there I see absolutely no reason for this guy to be picked on because he is 21. He is clearly more motivated and inspiring to the Democrats who voted for him than the dumbasses he ran against.

And people continue to wonder why the youth are usually disillusioned with politics...

Assuming he did get a lot of his "college friends" to vote for him, WTF is wrong with that? Should they not have a voice. Should they have just stayed home?

The SD system is fucking retarded, but if it's there I see absolutely no reason for this guy to be picked on because he is 21. He is clearly more motivated and inspiring to the Democrats who voted for him than the dumbasses he ran against.

There is no reason that he can't be elected. He was 17 when he was elected. That is the funny part. They elected a kid. A kid that has never voted for President before. A kid beat out a union leader and a state legislator.

It's the system. It's fucked up, but it's the system. It should be fixed for the 2012 election but Obama crying about it after the fact is akin to Hillary crying about Florida and Michigan.

It's the system. It's fucked up, but it's the system. It should be fixed for the 2012 election but Obama crying about it after the fact is akin to Hillary crying about Florida and Michigan.

I don't think it's unfair of him to ask that they they not overturn the choice of the elected delegates. That would be old-style politics at its worst and would immediately be criticized.

And if they choose to do that anyway and choose Hillary, I would totally support Obama if he asked his supporters to boycott the November election.

I am personally glad the Dems have these superdelegates. It provides amusement. If the supers shift the nomination to Hillary against the actual delegates majority, it will be really interesting to see what kind of backlash (if any) there is from the Dem voters.

rodney-king esque riots, it's gonna be hilarious.

Back