Tax Rebate deal reached

LadyT I agree about the Morality disagree about the free lunch.

Water - Cut taxes with spending cuts would be great. Cutting taxes without cutting spending is bad long term.

LadyT I agree about the Morality disagree about the free lunch.
Water - Cut taxes with spending cuts would be great. Cutting taxes without cutting spending is bad long term.

Its still a "free lunch" as you call it, whether or not it goes to the public to or to inept corporations. As a matter of fact giving it to a few select almost bankrupt corporations as opposed to the public who earned is a hell of a lot more of a "free lunch" Excluding individuals that make a certain amount is wealth redistrbution, but its even more so if you're giving it to a select few of corporate institutions.

I swear, this embodies why I can't stand neocon thinking. Its not a free lunch when you give it to a company, but it is when you give it back to the people that are paying the taxes to begin with.

Whenever we're going into depression, cut spending, and don't lower taxes?

You must've been dropped on the head in economics school.

No, I just wasn't a lazy shit that ended my education with Keynesian nonsense.

We can't borrow resources from future generations to increase consumption now. And even if we could that would be a bad deal when the consumption is not aimed at increasing productivity.

Whether you accompany it with a tax cut or not is pretty much irrelevant. Wasteful government spending needs to be reduced.

#2) Economically its worse than giving it to the people because if you're goal is to stimulate growth, you know that the individuals that are on the receiving end are the fast spenders and will drive the markets up quickly which is allegedly what the goal is.

Growth does not come through short lived consumption. It may steady the markets (stock markets) but that only creates wealth for traders and so you are back to the morality of #1.

Last edited:
Lady T-

It's a free lunch either way, that's why I don't support either. But if you want a short term solution it would SHORT TERM, with bad long term consiquences be better because the friction in the market is in mortgages not at cub foods or mattress giant.

Since when am I a neo con?

Growth does not come through short lived consumption. It may steady the markets but that only creates wealth for traders and so you are back to the morality of #1.

You'll definitely see a slight uptick in spending in the months following the check disbursements. Which is the goal. I wasn't implying that it was long term or sustainable, but you'll will see more activity.

You'll definitely see a slight uptick in spending in the months following the check disbursements. Which is the goal. I wasn't implying that it was long term or sustainable, but you'll will see more activity.

Stock market activity? Yeah, probably. Who cares?

Stock market activity will only benefit wall street and the politicians who can pretend it is a sign of health. It does not help the economy.

we need jobs and manufacturing to remain a viable entity in the world.
A net importing nation will not last too long.

Stock market activity will only benefit wall street and the politicians who can pretend it is a sign of health. It does not help the economy.

That's not true. A substantial amount of middle class america has retirement savings that are tied to the stock market. They do benefit.

Good point ladyT and what about the SS privitization thing ?

I think that proposal would go aver like a lead balloon about now.

That's not true. A substantial amount of middle class america has retirement savings that are tied to the stock market. They do benefit.

This is only going to help the stock market short term. Long term the stock market is dependent on productivity.

This is only going to help the stock market short term. Long term the stock market is dependent on productivity.

yes and dpenedent other influences as well. the dollar value, employment, inflation, etc.

and sometimes I think the phase of the moon and length of cat fur ;)

Back