The Christian Agnostic

Well the Bible is pretty clear about this point.

“Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you.” (Deut. 4:2.)

So whoever changed it from it's original form is probably going to have to answer some questions.

Where would we find this "original" version of the Bible?

Your reasoning says that humans put it together without guidance meaning there is no God.
I did not construct a logical syllogism.
You did.

Because humans may have been inspired to write the 27 books of the New Testament canon proves nothing about whether there is or is not a God.

I personally can't think of a deductive logical syllogism that will either prove, or disprove God.

My mistake, I meant the Book of Enoch.

The one that speaks about the fallen angels and Satan's trip to Hell.

The Giants

It was found with the other Dead Sea Scrolls I believe but for some reason the Church decided not to include it in scripture.
Gotcha. That makes more sense to me.

I did not construct a logical syllogism.
You did.

Because humans may have been inspired to write the 27 books of the New Testament canon proves nothing about whether there is or is not a God.

I personally can't think of a deductive logical syllogism that will either prove, or disprove God.

Well no argument there from me.

I mean if we could prove God we wouldn't need faith.

What was its original form? The council rejected a book Jesus quoted, the Book of Enoch, so what books were the originals?

I am not an expert on any of that and never claimed to know those things, I was merely asking if the books left out of the bible were biblical or not.

Those books which didn't make the canon are always fascinating.
Your wording is interesting. You did not write "that were excluded from the Bible," but rather you wrote "which didn't make the canon". If you had written the former, you would have been acknowledging that those books were worthy of inclusion and perhaps should have been included. By declaring them to not have made the canon, you declare those books not worthy of inclusion.

What was it about certain books that didn't make the cut? Couldn't be based on "outlandishness of the claims" in the books.
All books in the Bible make outlandish claims. If you don't believe me, pick one that you think is "not outlandish" and we can discuss it.

eac65098f3311045502de52de6582921.jpg

Your wording is interesting. You did not write "that were excluded from the Bible," but rather you wrote "which didn't make the canon". If you had written the former, you would have been acknowledging that those books were worthy of inclusion and perhaps should have been included. By declaring them to not have made the canon, you declare those books not worthy of inclusion.
Bulverism. Bigotry.
Bulverism fallacy. Bigotry.
Bulverism. Bigotry. False Authority.
bigotry, bulverism,
The Bible was canonized three centuries later for multiple reasons but mainly "what was popularly used" and "to send a message". One message was to exclude women from prominence in the Church such as excluding the Gospel of Mary: https://www.gospels.net/mary

8 Then Mary wept and said to Peter, "My brother Peter, what are you thinking? Do you really think that I thought this up by myself in my heart, or that I'm lying about the Savior?"

In response Levi said to Peter, "Peter, you've always been angry. Now I see you debating with this woman like the adversaries. But if the Savior made her worthy, who are you then to reject her? Surely the Savior knows her very well. That's why he loved her more than us.

"Rather we should be ashamed, clothe ourselves with perfect Humanity, acquire it for ourselves as he instructed us, and preach the gospel, not laying down any other rule or other law beyond what the Savior said."

The belief is that the Holy Spirit did not guide the people who put it together to include them.

Considering it was the will of God who wanted the Bible written I imagine He has the power to dictate what He wants in it.

I guess I should have asked the question on if they should still be considered as part of biblical text even though they are not officially included.

You mentioned the Holy Spirit! Isn't that where you should direct your question about The Book of Enoch?

You mentioned the Holy Spirit! Isn't that where you should direct your question about The Book of Enoch?

Enoch was one of two people I believe to be taking straight to Heaven without dying so why would the Holy Spirit allow him to write it and tell the story, of which had to be told to him by God since He wasn't there, if God didn't want it referenced?

Why did God allow it to be found?

Enoch was one of two people I believe to be taking straight to Heaven without dying so why would the Holy Spirit allow him to write it and tell the story, of which had to be told to him by God since He wasn't there, if God didn't want it referenced?

"A Canticle for Leibowitz" gives some guidance on how these things happen.

Source that Enoch went Straight to heaven

Back