The end of particle physics?

Cypress

Ten years after the Higgs, physicists face the nightmare of finding nothing else

Unless Europe’s Large Hadron Collider coughs up a surprise, the field of particle physics may wheeze to its end

A decade ago, particle physicists thrilled the world. On 4 July 2012, 6000 researchers working with the world’s biggest atom smasher, the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at the European particle physics laboratory, CERN, announced they had discovered the Higgs boson, a massive, fleeting particle key to their abstruse explanation of how other fundamental particles get their mass. The discovery fulfilled a 45-year-old prediction, completed a theory called the standard model, and thrust physicists into the spotlight.

Then came a long hangover. Before the 27-kilometer-long ring-shaped LHC started to take data in 2010, physicists fretted that it might produce the Higgs and nothing else, leaving no clue to what lies beyond the standard model. So far, that nightmare scenario is coming true. “It’s a bit disappointing,” allows Barry Barish, a physicist at the California Institute of Technology. “I thought we would discover supersymmetry,” the leading extension of the standard model.

It’s too early to despair, many physicists say. After 3 years of upgrades, the LHC is now powering up for the third of five planned runs, and some new particle could emerge in the billions of proton-proton collisions it will produce every second. In fact, the LHC should run for another 16 years, and with further upgrades should collect 16 times as much data as it already has. All those data could reveal subtle signs of novel particles and phenomena.

Still, some researchers say the writing is on the wall for collider physics. “If they don’t find anything, this field is dead,” says Juan Collar, a physicist at the University of Chicago who hunts dark matter in smaller experiments. John Ellis, a theorist at King’s College London, says hopes of a sudden breakthrough have given way to the prospect of a long, uncertain grind toward discovery. “It’s going to be like pulling teeth, not like teeth falling out.”

https://www.science.org/content/art...hysicists-face-nightmare-finding-nothing-else

The energy needed to break apart fermions into more fundamental particles may be beyond our reach, or the reach of any conceivable technology

I dont have enough expertise to evaluate but I have heard that the entire field of physics is now a cluster fuck. Then too the WOKE are currently engaged in a full on assault of STEM because science is a threat to their religion, a battle that Jordan Peterson says that the Revolution will win.

Sixteen time zero is still zero. LHC is the biggest scam since string theory. The war machine was betting they could weaponize it.

There have certainly been too many wrong turns, over too long a period, these "experts" appear incompetent.

There have certainly been too many wrong turns, over too long a period, these "experts" appear incompetent.

The discovery of the Higgs field was a once-in-a-century landmark scientific breakthrough. We should all be so lucky to be that "incompetent" in our jobs.

It took 80 years to get from Darwinian evolution to the modern NeoDarwinian-Mendelian synthesis. We can't expect landmark scientific breakthroughs to happen like clockwork.

But I have heard some talk that we might be looking at a vast desert, where the technology to reach the energies needed to probe a new kind of physics beyond the Standard Model is just simply beyond our technical and economic capacity.

Sixteen time zero is still zero. LHC is the biggest scam since string theory. The war machine was betting they could weaponize it.

Congress wouldn't fund a super collider in the United States, even though one was proposed. And we usually give the Pentagon anything they want, so I don't think the Department of Defense really had high hopes for amazing new weapons from the Higgs boson, supersymmetry, or string theory.

The discovery of the Higgs field was a once-in-a-century landmark scientific breakthrough. We should all be so lucky to be that "incompetent" in our jobs.

It took 80 years to get from Darwinian evolution to the modern NeoDarwinian-Mendelian synthesis. We can't expect landmark scientific breakthroughs to happen like clockwork.

But I have heard some talk that we might be looking at a vast desert, where the technology to reach the energies needed to probe a new kind of physics beyond the Standard Model is just simply beyond our technical and economic capacity.
For now maybe,but slow but sure knowledge moves forward.

I dont have enough expertise to evaluate but I have heard that the entire field of physics is now a cluster fuck. Then too the WOKE are currently engaged in a full on assault of STEM because science is a threat to their religion, a battle that Jordan Peterson says that the Revolution will win.

aDujz1a.jpg

Congress wouldn't fund a super collider in the United States, even though one was proposed. And we usually give the Pentagon anything they want, so I don't think the Department of Defense really had high hopes for amazing new weapons from the Higgs boson, supersymmetry, or string theory.

Yep, since the Cold War began if it can't be weaponized, they're not interested.

What a disappointing read, the OP. But... it's not over yet.

The US funded 10% of the LHC. War criminal Obama was given a Nobel Peace Prize.

The Higgs boson scam—fraudulent Physics by proxy

As for the so-called 'Standard Model', of Particle Physics, it cannot explain why
objects fall to the ground (how gravity works), or how Electricity works at atomic
level—why an electric current produces a magnetic field—or even why a permanent
magnet sticks to the 'fridge door.

https://www.mauricecotterell.com/downloads/Higgs%20Boson2.pdf

As for the so-called 'Standard Model', of Particle Physics, it cannot explain why
objects fall to the ground (how gravity works), or how Electricity works at atomic

255607608_1247836792382260_5150245106412940557_n.jpg

Yep, since the Cold War began if it can't be weaponized, they're not interested.

What a disappointing read, the OP. But... it's not over yet.

The fact that the LHC was built in neutral Switzerland almost seems like a symbolic nod to it's peaceful intentions.

I am not excessively pessimistic. The last time the end of physics was announced was in the 1890s, just a few years before Einstein's landmark paper on special relativity.

I am not clicking on a link that isn't to a legitimate, prestigious science source or science publication.

If you continue to hijack a science thread to indulge your Trump-loving, Obama-hating rhetoric this will be my last post to you

The Pentagon has no say over research at Switzerland's LHC. If the Pentagon thought a super collider was a strategic defense asset, they would have insisted Congress fund the one that was proposed in Texas.

It's common knowledge that the Standard Model doesn't include gravity. That is why there is a search for a grand unified theory. You are the first poster in the history of JPP I have run across who demands that all of our scientific theories should need no improvement or modification, and we should understand everything about the universe by now.

Last edited:
I am not clicking on a link that isn't to a legitimate, prestigious science source or science publication.

If you continue to hijack a science thread to indulge your Trump-loving, Obama-hating rhetoric this will be my last post to you

The Pentagon has no say over research at Switzerland's LHC. If the Pentagon thought a super collider was a strategic defense asset, they would have insisted Congress fund the one that was proposed in Texas.

It's common knowledge that the Standard Model doesn't include gravity. That is why there is a search for a grand unified theory. You are the first poster in the history of JPP I have run across who demands that all of our scientific theories should need no improvement or modification, and we should understand everything about the universe by now.
What has the Higgs boson taught us?
How much more money should we put into the LHC?
Can you name a particle physicist who was given an award?

The one in Texas was under construction....the Obama Regime killed it.

$2+ billion wasted.

The fact that the LHC was built in neutral Switzerland almost seems like a symbolic nod to it's peaceful intentions.

I am not excessively pessimistic. The last time the end of physics was announced was in the 1890s, just a few years before Einstein's landmark paper on special relativity.

Good point.

Too bad your discussion was marred by the toxic trolls. They would make fine additions to your thread-ban list. lol

Back