the Genome sequence of the duck billed platypus

Shame on you..............

Last week or so, the MSNBC site had a feature on "then and now" for celebrities who had and had not undergone various rejuvenation procedures. Without exception, those who had not done more than take good care of themselves (moisturizer, Darla!) were the ones who looked the best. The rest just looked plain scary.

When I was 21 or so, I met a woman who in her mid-40s had the most amazing skin. Genetics aside, I asked her what she did. She said that she washed her face only in cold water and never wore foundation or other makeup (powder?) that might clog her pores. I've followed that advice and am pleased that I did.

BTW, HGH is one of the few hormones that keep pumping out regularly as you age. This is what's responsible for our ears and noses getting larger as the rest of us withers.

Genetics can give you an advantage, but taking good care of yourself is essential. Who wants to live to be 95 or so if you're infirm?

Here I thought you were a medical scientist(?)...HGH as well as testosterone decreases with age...:eek:

I used some simple triple antibiotic clear ointment on my hands the other day becuase I wash them so much and vegas is so dry that they started to crack a little. I had a small amount on my finger tips and on a whim I put it under my eyes. I was blown away the next day at the lack of wrinkles and the plumpness of my undereye area. I have been using it very sparingly evey day and I truely like the result. Sometimes the most basic moisturizing can do amazing things.

I used some simple triple antibiotic clear ointment on my hands the other day becuase I wash them so much and vegas is so dry that they started to crack a little. I had a small amount on my finger tips and on a whim I put it under my eyes. I was blown away the next day at the lack of wrinkles and the plumpness of my undereye area. I have been using it very sparingly evey day and I truely like the result. Sometimes the most basic moisturizing can do amazing things.

It's extremely dry here, too (average humidity about 19%) and during the winter I tend to get raw dry patches on my fingers if I forget to use hand lotion. I use Neutrogena fragrance free something, for extra dry anyway. Like you I wash my hands a lot.

I wonder if vaseline would be good as a nighttime undereye treatment?

Sylvester stalone takes HGH.. hes in his mid 60's.. you see him lately?

stallone02.jpg

Wait .. are you for taking HGH or against it?

... because that looks like an advertaisement to stay far away from HGH.

Sly is younger than 65...however he is how should I say it 'Mature'...and he gets one hell of alot more ladies...than anyone on this board..HGH is not a cure all but it certanily does slow down the aging process...I will probably use it in a few years...don't need it quite yet...genetics are good in my family...still have a full head of black hair...and the bod isn't all to bad for the wear and tear AND ABUSE IT TOOK...!

as for the Sylvestor Stallone age/condition...and history question...he is like 62 5'9"...so much for the toppy short dude comment by duhla...:cof1:

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0000230/bio

Last week or so, the MSNBC site had a feature on "then and now" for celebrities who had and had not undergone various rejuvenation procedures. Without exception, those who had not done more than take good care of themselves (moisturizer, Darla!) were the ones who looked the best. The rest just looked plain scary.

When I was 21 or so, I met a woman who in her mid-40s had the most amazing skin. Genetics aside, I asked her what she did. She said that she washed her face only in cold water and never wore foundation or other makeup (powder?) that might clog her pores. I've followed that advice and am pleased that I did.

BTW, HGH is one of the few hormones that keep pumping out regularly as you age. This is what's responsible for our ears and noses getting larger as the rest of us withers.

Genetics can give you an advantage, but taking good care of yourself is essential. Who wants to live to be 95 or so if you're infirm?

Well said.

At some point we must come to grips with mortality.

Such is life .. there are no shortcuts.

It's extremely dry here, too (average humidity about 19%) and during the winter I tend to get raw dry patches on my fingers if I forget to use hand lotion. I use Neutrogena fragrance free something, for extra dry anyway. Like you I wash my hands a lot.

I wonder if vaseline would be good as a nighttime undereye treatment?

I have olive type skin but have not ever really had a oil problem like some do. If you dont have oily skin and do it sparingly it probably would work. I had been using skin lotion but its was not doing the job. I always forget to but mosturizer on my face. I have just never been a girly girl. Baby oil seems to be the only thing I can get to work in keeping my legs from being dry.

Agreed , I like to embrace my age. Its very freeing to just accept what is the enivitable course of nature.

Tell me about it sister. I'm 58 now, and about one year ago .. I was dead .. as in DEAD. Saved by my dog.

Imagine that.

Nature is the most fascinating and intelligent thing in life.

When I die .. again .. I return from whence I came.

Nature

New England Journal of Medicine 1990; 323:1-6
D Rudman, AG Feller, HS Nagraj, GA Gergans, PY Lalitha, AF Goldberg, RA Schlenker, L Cohn,
IW Rudman, and DE Mattson

BACKGROUND: The declining activity of the growth hormone--insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) axis with advancing age may contribute to the decrease in lean body mass and the increase in mass of adipose tissue that occur with aging.

METHODS: To test this hypothesis, we studied 21 healthy men from 61 to 81 years old who had plasma IGF-I concentrations of less than 350 U per liter during a six-month base-line period and a six-month treatment period that followed. During the treatment period, 12 men (group 1) received approximately 0.03 mg of biosynthetic human growth hormone per kilogram of body weight subcutaneously three times a week, and 9 men (group 2) received no treatment. Plasma IGF-I levels were measured monthly. At the end of each period we measured lean body mass, the mass of adipose tissue, skin thickness (epidermis plus dermis), and bone density at nine skeletal sites. RESULTS. In group 1, the mean plasma IGF-I level rose into the youthful range of 500 to 1500 U per liter during treatment, whereas in group 2 it remained below 350 U per liter. The administration of human growth hormone for six months in group 1 was accompanied by an 8.8 percent increase in lean body mass, a 14.4 percent decrease in adipose-tissue mass, and a 1.6 percent increase in average lumbar vertebral bone density (P less than 0.05 in each instance). Skin thickness increased 7.1 percent (P = 0.07). There was no significant change in the bone density of the radius or proximal femur. In group 2 there was no significant change in lean body mass, the mass of adipose tissue, skin thickness, or bone density during treatment.

CONCLUSIONS: Diminished secretion of growth hormone is responsible in part for the decrease of lean body mass, the expansion of adipose-tissue mass, and the thinning of the skin that occur in old age.

Damn Dogs are just the coolest things ever.

Give that dog a bone for me.

I'm not into kissing dogs .. but when I got out of the hospital, the first thing I did when I got home was to plant a big ass kiss on his face.

I just gave him a biscuit/bone for you.

I'm not into kissing dogs .. but when I got out of the hospital, the first thing I did when I got home was to plant a big ass kiss on his face.

I just gave him a biscuit/bone for you.

Good boy!

are you taking daily baby asprins now?

Although that's a pretty small sampling, the results are interesting. In my field, it would be considered a stretch to make such sweeping conclusions based on so few subjects, but certainly the findings do indicate an effect and the need for a more extensive and comprehensive study.

Good find, Chap! :)

I think finding out why the body ends up producing less in age may be the real answer.

Well, we produce less of a LOT of things as we age. I think the important thing might be a disruption of the balance and of the body's natural regulatory systems.

Back