The Iceage will SUCK

No tangible "improvement" for the consumer. That was not the case with cell phones or personal computers. You have made my point for me, thanks!

I am now done with this discussion, since you obviously want to just hurl insults at me and repeat yourself like a retarded person. ...Damn if that ain't popular amongst the pinheads today, is it the cold weather?

LMAO.... you don't think alt energy offers a tangible improvement for society?

You truly are a fucking retard. 1/3

LMAO.... you don't think alt energy offers a tangible improvement for society?

Lots of things would offer a tangible improvement to society... shooting you in the head would be one... but it doesn't mean it would be a commercial success. For that to happen, it would have to provide tangible benefit and improvement to the consumer. Alternative energy really doesn't do that, and you've not made the case for it. Now, if oil prices go to $1k per barrel or something, and gas is $25 a gallon, then alternative fuel would provide a tangible benefit to the consumer in the form of cheaper price, and it might take off commercially.

Lots of things would offer a tangible improvement to society... shooting you in the head would be one... but it doesn't mean it would be a commercial success. For that to happen, it would have to provide tangible benefit and improvement to the consumer. Alternative energy really doesn't do that, and you've not made the case for it. Now, if oil prices go to $1k per barrel or something, and gas is $25 a gallon, then alternative fuel would provide a tangible benefit to the consumer in the form of cheaper price, and it might take off commercially.

The above is brought to you by a 'commercial captitalist expert' folks.... pure genius.

Apparently the capitalists building wind farms and solar fields are just trying to lose money. The solar companies making money right now... just a figment of our imagination. Commercial properties installing solar and getting paid back on their investment in a year or so... also our imagination.

Also don't factor in reductions in our healthcare costs & benefits to our national security when considering the 'cost' of using alt energy vs. fossil fuels.... nope, cause 'expert capitalists' like the bonehead ditzie say not to.

Instead, lets make up wild numbers and pretend that we know what we are talking about... right ditzie?

Tell us ditzie.... why is FSLR profitable? Why does Corning continue making the propellers for windfarms?

...why is FSLR profitable? Why does Corning continue making the propellers for windfarms?

First Solar, Inc. (NASDAQ) 133.38 -7.72 (-5.47%) Jan 14 4:00pm ET

Owens Corning (Public, NYSE:OC) 16.09 -0.87 (-5.13%) Jan 14, 5:32PM EST

Awww... seems your stocks are tanking!! Only in Pinhead World is a 5% drop considered a "profit!" --LMFAO!

You really are not a nice person.

Awww... seems your stocks are tanking!! Only in Pinhead World is a 5% drop considered a "profit!" --LMFAO!

Well, I guess using a small slice of the market currently, there are no promising industries left in America.

Dixie, you are hopelessly dishonest. Though, I have to say, it will be neat to see your spin when alt energy starts to really take off.

Wow... Mr. expert capitalist... thanks for that. I had no idea that one day of stock price movement equated to profitability. It must be driving the executives nuts at every company in the US... Profitable one day, not profitable the next. You should really write a book on this.

Let me guess those two 'commercial capitalist companies' you ran were

1) A lemonade stand

2) A flea circus

Corning Inc. (GLW) Profit Margin.... 88%
First Solar, Inc. (FSLR) Profit Margin.... 27%

Side note ditzie... if you are trying to dazzle us with your 'wit', you might attempt to at the very least to be intelligent enough to pull up the correct tickers. Idiot.

FUEL SYSTEMS SOLUTIONS INC
GUSHAN ENVIRONMENTAL ENE-ADR
ORMAT TECHNOLOGIES
FUELCELL ENERGY
HANSEN TRANSMISSIONS
COVANTA HOLDING CORP
REPOWER SYSTEMS AG
VESTAS WIND SYSTEM A/S
IBERDROLA RENOVABLES
AMERICAN SUPERCONDUCTOR CORP
GAMESA CORP TECHNOLOGICA SA
EDP RENOVAVEIS SA
AVISTA CORP
EDF ENERGIES NOUVELLES S.A.
CANADIAN HYDRO DEVELOPERS, INC.
IDACORP INC HOLDINGS CO
CIA PARANAENSE ENER-ADR
NORDEX AG
THEOLIA SA
COMPANIA ENERGETICA DE MINAS
BROADWIND ENERGY, INC.
ENER1, INC.
BALLARD POWER SYSTEMS
YINGLI GREEN ENERGY HOLD - ADR
SUNTECH POWER HOLDINGS-ADR
GREENTECH ENERGY SYSTEMS
RENEWABLE ENERGY CORP AS
NPC INC
ENVITEC BIOGAS AG
SOLAR MILLENNIUM AG
GT SOLAR INTERNATIONAL INC
RENESOLA LTD.
PHOENIX SONNENSTROM AG
JA SOLAR HOLDINGS CO LTD-ADR
FIRST SOLAR INC
Q-CELLS AG EUR
ROTH & RAU AG
SOLARWORLD AG
CENTROTHERM PHOTOVOLTAICS SG
SOLARFUN POWER HOLD-ADR
BORALEX INC NPV
SUNPOWER CORP-CLASS A
SOLARIA ENERGIA Y MEDIO AMBI
CANADIAN SOLAR
EVERGREEN SOLAR INC
LDK SOLAR CO LTD-ADR
TRINA SOLAR LTD-ADR
SOLON SE
SOLARGIGA ENERGY HOLDINGS LT
ENERGY CONVERSION DEVICES
PV CRYSTALOX SOLAR PLC
CLIPPER WINDPOWER PLC
FERSA ENERGIAS RENOVABLES S EUR

Just some other companies for you to look at ditzie... It is truly amazing how many of these 'non-capitalistic' renewable/alt energy companies there are that actually trade on the open market.... and thats just a sample. How DID they infiltrate the capitalistic system we have in place without being capitalistic. It boggles the mind.

I think you shoot your nose off to spite your face.

National security is enough of a benefit to work towards a solution that gets us off the foreign oil teat.

National security is enough of a benefit to work towards a solution that gets us off the foreign oil teat.

I am rather disappointed that ditzie hasn't come back to educate us further on the concept of 'the stock was down today, thus it is not a profitable company'. I was sooooo looking forward to learning more valuable pieces of information like that.

And you may be right... (about the national security part). Let's be clear, my argument has never been against alternative fuel, I think we need to switch from oil to something else. Reading this thread, the pinheads make me sound like some moron who is opposed to alternative energy, and that is not the case. Nor do I believe alternative energy and "green technology" is a waste of time and destined for failure. I haven't said that either, yet to read the thread, you get a completely different impression. We even have Oncie chiming in to warn me how he is going to throw this thread back up in my face someday, when alternative energy succeeds. Establishing the "fact" that I would somehow be "spinning" if alternative energy takes off.

In the current dynamic, the market for alternative energy is saturated, and there is no intrinsic consumer interest in energy which costs more than traditional sources. National security could certainly be a catalyst to change that dynamic, but it would involve a very real sense of threat we all felt. Damo, you and I may be patriotic enough to fork over considerably more in fuel costs for the sake of our nation, but I believe we are largely in the minority. Things could certainly change, another terrorist attack like 9/11, OPEC going insane or cutting off our oil supply, or some revolutionary new process we don't currently know about, which makes alt fuel cheaper than oil... those are very real possibilities which could change the current dynamic.

Like it or not, we are a capitalist-driven nation. If alternative fuel offers no real tangible advantage or benefit to the consumer, the consumer will be reluctant to embrace it and pay more for it. That is just plain simple capitalist economics. Coupled with the fact that pinhead liberal environmentalists are pushing the alternative fuel industry, and that exacerbates the problem. We will be lucky to see a 50% market in alternative energy by 2050 in the current climate, that is all I've stated, yet this thread is dominated by lying asshole pinheads who want to distort my every word, and make it seem that I have said something completely different. I've never seen anything like it in all my life!

I am rather disappointed that ditzie hasn't come back to educate us further on the concept of 'the stock was down today, thus it is not a profitable company'. I was sooooo looking forward to learning more valuable pieces of information like that.

Stocks on both of the companies you cited originally, are down over 5% for the year, and closed 2008 down for the year. If you look at the 'trend' I'll bet the spike in profit was realized when gas prices started going through the roof. Capitalism tends to work like that... oil and gas goes up, alternative fuels become more attractive to the investor. You've gotten sidetracked on some tangent about stock prices, and we are talking about the future of the industry and transition from oil to alternative fuels. You should try to stay focused on the topic, and avoid shiny objects.

Back