The JPP Debate Championship Official Start

I tend to agree with WM here. The question is stupid and his position is indefensible. You're giving him lemons and asking him to make mole. It's ridiculous.

In a Lincoln-Douglass format, WM can lay out his definitions of terms, and debate from there, without much issue, if he really has a problem and is not trolling right now...

In a Lincoln-Douglass format, WM can lay out his definitions of terms, and debate from there, without much issue, if he really has a problem and is not trolling right now...

That's all well and good but what is being asked of WM isn't being asked of the other party to the debate and there are scads of more balanced, fair and interesting questions to debate viz abortion that aren't based exclusively on science and instead focus on moral and ethical issues attendant thereto.

But hey, I'm not playing so yall do what yins want.

A good debater knows both sides of the issue.
An excellent debater is able to present a side that he doesn't necessarily agree with.

This isn't about what we agree with or think.
It's about how well you can argue the point.

:good4u:

What anyone who has ever been on a debate team is pressed to understand!

I have to kind of agree with WM on the topic about "when human life begins" It is not a factual proposition that can be fairly argued against.

Another idea would be "is fetal life deserving of Constitutional protections".

Hardly. There's good reason Watermark was picked dead last. Not only that, even if a miracle were to happen and he were to beat me he'd have to face either Winter or Bravo as his next opponent and he's not remotely in their league either.

Watermark has a lot to prove. I'll be honest. I'm not even concerned about you youngens. The only youngen who can debate is one of the judges. Now Grind I would take seriously. He knows how to sweat details and he has skills in rhetoric. You other youngens.....not so much.

I think you folks are underestimating WM. When I first came to these forums, I argued with him. He didn't care about the topic, he was just disagreeing with me to disagree. But he held up.

And his trolling is essentially arguing a point of view he may or may not agree with. Which is what will happen in these debates.

Besides, WM is smarter than his posts show.

I've been posting long enough to remember being impressed with Watermark's intelligence and ability to make good posts. I'm just saying, if he continues to act as lazily as he is still choosing to be, he'll be proving me wrong in my initial assessment come the judges' decision...

That's all well and good but what is being asked of WM isn't being asked of the other party to the debate and there are scads of more balanced, fair and interesting questions to debate viz abortion that aren't based exclusively on science and instead focus on moral and ethical issues attendant thereto.

But hey, I'm not playing so yall do what yins want.

I don't know. They are asking a 52 year old white guy from Alabama to argue that Rap is not torture.

That debate will be epic. Just find one of the few rap songs that isn't torture, and hold it up as the standard for rap...

Nah, the point of debate is to put forth a solid argument and then destroy your opponent's argument.

I think you folks are underestimating WM. When I first came to these forums, I argued with him. He didn't care about the topic, he was just disagreeing with me to disagree. But he held up.

And his trolling is essentially arguing a point of view he may or may not agree with. Which is what will happen in these debates.

Besides, WM is smarter than his posts show.

I love it when people say that I'm smarter than I seem I am. It makes me feel less utterly inadequate as a human being.

I love it when people say that I'm smarter than I seem I am. It makes me feel less utterly inadequate as a human being.

Or it could be a measure of how stupid your recent posts have been. But you can go with your idea if you want.

This works for me for a few minutes, like among classmates and co-workers, and then I get mad, because I feel the praise uninformed and inaccurate. :clink:

Being articulate and able to communicate effectively, somehow creates a false aura of intelligence to many around me.

Why? I'd feel flattered and indeed would try and accent that fact. Being smarter than you initially appear is a useful trait when you deal with people. Every surprise is another opportunity to one up them.

Back