The liberal media?

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/articles/0304mccaintexas0304.html

Have you?

NEWS online print edition
Print Article Email Article Most Popular Change Type Size McCain hits the magic number to secure GOP nomination
Associated Press
Mar. 4, 2008 09:09 PM

John McCain clinched the Republican presidential nomination Tuesday, an extraordinary comeback for a candidate whose White House hopes were dashed eight years ago and whose second bid was left for dead eight months ago.

Desh, you officially become the nominee at the convention. That's why commentators always say 'presumptive' Republican Presidential nominee because it does not become official until the Republican Convention.

Thus Mrs. McCain isn't going to release her tax returns until after that. Once again, seems a very simple concept.

Desh, you officially become the nominee at the convention. That's why commentators always say 'presumptive' Republican Presidential nominee because it does not become official until the Republican Convention.

Thus Mrs. McCain isn't going to release her tax returns until after that. Once again, seems a very simple concept.

It appears simple, but the "McCain isn't the nominee yet, just wait" position is undercut by the fact that the news organizations that are the subject of the Media Matters piece wrote editorials calling on Theresa Heinz-Kerry to release her tax returns before the Democratic National Convention in 2004 and therefore before John Kerry was the official nominee.

What's the next excuse?

It appears simple, but the "McCain isn't the nominee yet, just wait" position is undercut by the fact that the news organizations that are the subject of the Media Matters piece wrote editorials calling on Theresa Heinz-Kerry to release her tax returns before the Democratic National Convention in 2004 and therefore before John Kerry was the official nominee.

What's the next excuse?

Uh-oh, sounds like a big conspiracy.

Uh-oh, sounds like a big conspiracy.

Ah, the conspiracy dodge. Not everything has to be a conspiracy to be problematic. The media crush on John McCain is well-established. This is simply more evidence that McCain is treated differently from Democratic candidates.

Also, do me a favor and just admit that your previous defense was 100% wrong. It's OK. It seemed like a plausible explanation except that it's unsupported by the facts.

Ah, the conspiracy dodge. Not everything has to be a conspiracy to be problematic. The media crush on John McCain is well-established. This is simply more evidence that McCain is treated differently from Democratic candidates.

Also, do me a favor and just admit that your previous defense was 100% wrong. It's OK. It seemed like a plausible explanation except that it's unsupported by the facts.

Theresa Kerry didn't release her tax returns until October 15th, less than a month before the election. If you want to claim a couple of newspapers are showing a double standard from 2004 and today then be my guess but I'm not wrong let alone 100% wrong. If Mrs. McCain doesn't show her tax returns at all before election day then I will be wrong. So no favors for you today sir.

And I think you are quite smart enough to know that the media has been pretty much 100% focues on the Obama-Hillary campaign. For better or worse McCain is sort of in the back ground. His time will come though and the media is going to start focusing on him.

Theresa Kerry didn't release her tax returns until October 15th, less than a month before the election. If you want to claim a couple of newspapers are showing a double standard from 2004 and today then be my guess but I'm not wrong let alone 100% wrong. If Mrs. McCain doesn't show her tax returns at all before election day then I will be wrong. So no favors for you today sir.

And I think you are quite smart enough to know that the media has been pretty much 100% focues on the Obama-Hillary campaign. For better or worse McCain is sort of in the back ground. His time will come though and the media is going to start focusing on him.

The fact of the matter, my friend, is that the news organizations were calling on Theresa Heinz-Kerry to release her tax returns prior to John Kerry being the nominee while they have remained completely silent about Cindi McCain. It doesn't matter when Heinz-Kerry released her returns or whether Cindi McCain releases her returns. They are not the issue. The issue is the media and how one candidate with a rich spouse is treated quite differently from another candidate with a rich spouse. The issue is the double-standard being applied to the candidates (and their wives), not the conduct of the candidates and their wives. To be perfectly frank, I'd be fine if McCain's wife didn't reveal her tax returns but the same media outlets that chastised Theresa Heinz-Kerry for not revealing her returns should be chastising Cindi McCain just the same.

As for the media waiting to start focusing on John McCain, I won't hold my breath. The reality of the situation is that he is the candidate and he is campaigning. There is no rational basis for not subjecting him to scrutiny at this stage in the game. The "waiting" bullshit is just that, bullshit.

The fact of the matter, my friend, is that the news organizations were calling on Theresa Heinz-Kerry to release her tax returns prior to John Kerry being the nominee while they have remained completely silent about Cindi McCain. It doesn't matter when Heinz-Kerry released her returns or whether Cindi McCain releases her returns. They are not the issue. The issue is the media and how one candidate with a rich spouse is treated quite differently from another candidate with a rich spouse. The issue is the double-standard being applied to the candidates (and their wives), not the conduct of the candidates and their wives. To be perfectly frank, I'd be fine if McCain's wife didn't reveal her tax returns but the same media outlets that chastised Theresa Heinz-Kerry for not revealing her returns should be chastising Cindi McCain just the same.

As for the media waiting to start focusing on John McCain, I won't hold my breath. The reality of the situation is that he is the candidate and he is campaigning. There is no rational basis for not subjecting him to scrutiny at this stage in the game. The "waiting" bullshit is just that, bullshit.

From Media Matters article:

Washington Times: On March 21, 2008 they said Cindy McCain needs to disclose her financial statements.

They wrote on July 27, 2004 and August 5, 2004 that Heinz Kerry needed to disclose her taxes.

So the Washington Times called out McCain once and Heinz Kerry twice. They called out McCain four months before they called out Heinz Kerry. Since the theme here is double standard it reasons we need to wait until August 5, 2008 and see if the Times calls out McCain again. I see no double standard here today.

New York Times: Says they called out both so not sure what they are doing in article.

Washington Post: Says they called out Heinz Kerry on May 4, 2004. So right now they are two days double standard.

Wall Street Journal: Says they called out Heinz Kerry on July 1, 2004. So they have two months before they become hypocrites or a double standard.

So as of today it seems the only double standard so far is the Washington Post by 2 days.

Washington Times: On March 21, 2008 they said Cindy McCain needs to disclose her financial statements.

They wrote on July 27, 2004 and August 5, 2004 that Heinz Kerry needed to disclose her taxes.

So the Washington Times called out McCain once and Heinz Kerry twice. They called out McCain four months before they called out Heinz Kerry. Since the theme here is double standard it reasons we need to wait until August 5, 2008 and see if the Times calls out McCain again. I see no double standard here today.

New York Times: Says they called out both so not sure what they are doing in article.

Washington Post: Says they called out Heinz Kerry on May 4, 2004. So right now they are two days double standard.

Wall Street Journal: Says they called out Heinz Kerry on July 1, 2004. So they have two months before they become hypocrites or a double standard.

So as of today it seems the only double standard so far is the Washington Post by 2 days.

Desh or Dungheap, is my reading of the information in your article here wrong?

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Democratic_National_Convention[/ame]

Now check the dates and realize they were harping on her to release the info BEFORE the DNC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Democratic_National_Convention

Now check the dates and realize they were harping on her to release the info BEFORE the DNC.

Where in the Media Matters article, which quotes the newspapers, does it say anywhere that they said Heinz Kerry should release it before the DNC convention? They just said she should release them, they didn't state a specific time frame (other than before the election).

And I gave you the dates in my post Desh. Did you look at them?

Now how about the TV news dude?

What about it? Your article made no reference to the TV news. You are trying to change the subject because when you look at the actual dates Media Matter's argument goes out the window. In other words partisan rhetoric to get people like you who they know will automatically believe what they say worked up into a frenzy so to speak.

Look the calls on the TV news all talked about these articles repetedly. So we have shown the paper media have not treated it the same and the TV news did not jump on it either.

The point of the threads is the republican myth of a liberal media that is out to get them. Its a myth and they get preferancial treatment much more often than not.

That is the point.

Look the calls on the TV news all talked about these articles repetedly. So we have shown the paper media have not treated it the same and the TV news did not jump on it either.

The point of the threads is the republican myth of a liberal media that is out to get them. Its a myth and they get preferancial treatment much more often than not.

That is the point.

I just showed you with dates from the article you posted the print media has treated it the same or have even jumped the gun on McCain. I listed the dates for you Desh, right out of your article. Your article did not show or prove the media treated McCain better than Heinz Kerry on this issue.

I just went back through the article and they did not CALL FOR THE RELEASE. they talked about her finances but did not call for the release of documents for McCains wife, The called for the release in the Kerry articles.

I just went back through the article and they did not CALL FOR THE RELEASE. they talked about her finances but did not call for the release of documents for McCains wife, The called for the release in the Kerry articles.

"The Washington Times called on Cindy McCain to release her tax returns in March"

Looks like they called for the RELEASE to me.

Good for them.

The point of the article is there was a furvor over Kerrys wife and almost nothing about McCains wife.

Good for them.

The point of the article is there was a furvor over Kerrys wife and almost nothing about McCains wife.

Desh, as I showed it is an invented furvor by media matters. I laid out clearly for you the articles they used to make their claim and it does not add up. You are free to believe what you would like but you like to talk about 'facts' and the 'facts' do not back up media matters claim.

Dungheap, here was my response to you in case you have not had a chance to see it.

Back