The meaning of life - from world intellectual traditions

:) We all have our own 'philosophy' to live by.
You have yours.
I have mine.
The next guy has his.
As long as your philosophy doesn't infringe on my philosophy, and vice versa, what does it matter?

You uh, mmmm, you don't support a 'Kill the Infidel' philosophy, do you? :(

Weird. I see you like the jokes.

In the Roman Empire tradition, Seneca and Marcus Aurelius were influenced by the stoicism.

In the Anglo-American tradition, many of he founders of America and it's constitution were influenced by stoicism.

"It is well known that Jefferson possessed multiple copies of Lucretius’ On The Nature of Things, and Jefferson certainly had access to the work of Pierre Gassendi, who translated the Life of Epicurus written by Diogenes Laertius. Jefferson seems to have mentioned Epicurus directly in only a few letters, however, most notably his letter to William Short dated October 31, 1819. If one knows what to look for, though, many other references of Epicurean significance can be found in Jefferson’s writings."
https://newepicurean.com/suggested-...sons-letter-to-william-short-october-31-1819/

"Epicurus, Lucretius, Jefferson and “… the Pursuit of Happiness” "
"It is the 4th of July and we are reminded once more of our unalienable rights: Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. Indeed, the third right, Happiness seems to epitomize the gist of American life. How it got in the Declaration of Independence is a fascinating story if we adopt the frequently made assertion that Jefferson was an Epicurean."
https://lets-reason.com/2018/07/04/epicurus-lucretius-jefferson-and-the-pursuit-of-happiness/

Can you name one founder influenced by Stoicism?
Benjamin Franklin and George Washington admired the stoic philosopher Marcus Aurelius.

The civic virtue and logic of stoicism has echoes from the Roman Empire, through the philosophers of the middle ages, to the Anglo American tradition. Pretty basic stuff in the historical study of philosophy.

The Founding Fathers resurrected (the stoic Marcus Aurelius) as a symbol of resistance to tyranny. George Washington even put on a play about him in the bitter winter at Valley Forge.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1986735/amp

Benjamin Franklin and George Washington admired the stoic philosopher Marcus Aurelius.

The civic virtue and logic of stoicism has echoes from the Roman Empire, through the philosophers of the middle ages, to the Anglo American tradition. Pretty basic stuff in the historical study of philosophy.

Still waiting for you to state what the influence was.

Still waiting for you to state what the influence was.

That is not what you asked.
You keep asking different questions each time I answer you.

The stoic emphasis on civic and public virtue is in large part what made the echoes of stoicism influential from the Roman Empire to John Locke and some of the founding fathers.

I am not going to play whack a mole where I answer your questions only for you to change the question without acknowledging I answered you.

Here is where you can learn if you are genuinely interested...it is a summary on the arc of stoic influnce on western history:

The stoic emphasis on civic and public virtue is in large part what made the echoes of stoicism influential from the Roman Empire to John Locke and some of the founding fathers.

I am not going to play whack a mole where I answer your questions only for you to change the question without acknowledging I answered you.

Here is where you can learn if you are genuinely interested...it is a summary on the arc of stoic influnce on western history:
Yes, Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness is very Stoic!

Now you roll in a ball on the ground and weep. Boring.

"What is the goal of life? To Epicurus the goal of living was to find happiness through friendship, living humbly and avoiding pain and anxiety. He believed very strongly that by living peacefully and avoiding fear and pain, we could live fully. To Epicurus, living a virtuous life and a peaceful life were one in the same. This is seen when he states…

“It is impossible to live a pleasant life without living wisely, honorably, and justly, and it is impossible to live wisely, honorably and justly without living pleasantly.”

Good quote. Here's another one from him: “The art of living well and the art of dying well are one in the same”

https://classicalwisdom.com/people/philosophers/epicurus-341-270-bce/
Epicurus believed that the one thing that kept us from finding true happiness was the fear of death. In line with his philosophy, Epicurus argued that death was only bad if it could cause you any pain or harm. And since we are no longer capable of physical or emotional anguish during death, we have nothing to fear from death. A fear of death is illogical. Death distracts us from enjoying life and therefore interferes with our happiness. By accepting that death as inevitable and that at the time of death we are incapable of fear or pain, we can learn to live contently.

Epicurus believed very firmly that we should look for knowledge in objectively verifiable phenomenon. He practiced a rudimentary form of the scientific method, relying on evidence rather than faith. This lead to the belief that he was an atheist, which made him very unpopular. It is perhaps for this reason that he never gained an expansive following. However the few followers he did have were extremely devoted and loyally followed him until the last day of his life.

No, you keep changing the question every time I answer your question.

Poor form.

Nobody is going to play whack a mole with you.

He does that. Mostly I just ignore him but every once in awhile he can say something intelligent.

Back