The Meaning of Life

BidenPresident

Verified User
A philosophy professor writes:

“I assume you’re here for The Meaning of Life?” I asked on the first day of classes a few falls ago.

Sixteen heads bobbed over a regiment of crisp new notebooks and pens cocked for action.

“That phrase is a bit misleading,” I said. “When most people hear it, they think of large-scale questions like ‘What does it all mean?,’ ‘Why are we here?,’ ‘Why is there something rather than nothing?’ The assumption is that there’s some deep order built into the universe that we might uncover and comprehend.”

https://thepointmag.com/examined-life/the-meaning-of-life/

“I assume you’re here for The Meaning of Life?” I asked on the first day of classes a few falls ago.

Sixteen heads bobbed over a regiment of crisp new notebooks and pens cocked for action.

“That phrase is a bit misleading,” I said. “When most people hear it, they think of large-scale questions like ‘What does it all mean?,’ ‘Why are we here?,’ ‘Why is there something rather than nothing?’ The assumption is that there’s some deep order built into the universe that we might uncover and comprehend.”

we know.

nihilism......

fucking stupid.

Good article. I’m re-reading a couple of portions of it to chew on it awhile.

Thanks for posting it.

Good article. I’m re-reading a couple of portions of it to chew on it awhile.

Thanks for posting it.

Good. This is the perspective of a professor talking about the analytic school of philosophy which tends to be science based.
Her students look for meaning in their actual lives and experience. Thus analytic philosophy is not much help.

you are very stupid

You lack any real evidence to support that claim (yet), so I will simply ignore it and attempt to address your crudely presented point.

My point to which you responded was that life is a "bring your own point" concept. That's just a statement of a soft form of nihilism. I fail to believe that there is some overarching supernaturally developed "reason for life". It just is. It is up to us to figure out what we want to do with it.

Now, are you able to discuss without name calling?

You lack any real evidence to support that claim (yet), so I will simply ignore it and attempt to address your crudely presented point.

My point to which you responded was that life is a "bring your own point" concept. That's just a statement of a soft form of nihilism. I fail to believe that there is some overarching supernaturally developed "reason for life". It just is. It is up to us to figure out what we want to do with it.

Now, are you able to discuss without name calling?

bye troll

Back