THE QUESTION OF WHETHER ANY GODS EXIST...

Ross Dolan

Contributor
...cannot be answered using logic, reason, science, or math.

It just cannot be done...or at least, I am asserting that it cannot. I've tried...never come close. I've challenged hundreds of others to give it a shot...none has ever come close.

I am inviting anyone who can prove the assertion wrong...or show substantially that it most likely is wrong...to do so.

To make my assertion even more specific...and more encompassing...I'm going to expand it:

One cannot use logic, reason, science, or math...to substantiate "At least one god exists."

One cannot use logic, reason, science, or math...to substantiate "No gods exist."

One cannot use logic, reason, science, or math...to substantiate "It is more likely that at least one god exists...than that no gods exist."

One cannot use logic, reason, science, or math...to substantiate "It is more likely that no gods exist...than that at least one god exists."

Comments would be appreciated.

Proving me wrong would be even more appreciated.

Nah...I don't WANT there to be gods.

If there are...fine with me; if there are none...also fine.

But both sides of the question often seem so sure.

I do not see why either side is "sure."

It just cannot be done...or at least, I am asserting that it cannot. I've tried...never come close. I've challenged hundreds of others to give it a shot...none has ever come close.

I am inviting anyone who can prove the assertion wrong...or show substantially that it most likely is wrong...to do so.

To make my assertion even more specific...and more encompassing...I'm going to expand it:

One cannot use logic, reason, science, or math...to substantiate "At least one god exists."

One cannot use logic, reason, science, or math...to substantiate "No gods exist."

One cannot use logic, reason, science, or math...to substantiate "It is more likely that at least one god exists...than that no gods exist."

One cannot use logic, reason, science, or math...to substantiate "It is more likely that no gods exist...than that at least one god exists."

I don't need to prove you wrong. At your advanced age, God will get his chance soon enough. It would be interesting to see your reaction when you get the proof.

Frank appears to have discovered the meaning of faith.....it would have been so much easier just to use a dictionary.....

Ever hear of Google?

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/geneveith/2017/01/mathematical-proof-of-gods-existence/

Given the vast complexities of the universe(s), the incredible computer needed to look after it all would seem not much to resemble our usual idea of a father.

Given the vast complexities of the universe(s), the incredible computer needed to look after it all would seem not much to resemble our usual idea of a father.

Okay.

But my point is that any comment about the existence or non-existence of gods...or the likelihood of the existence or non-existence of gods...

...essentially is a guess.

That is an important point...if correct.

Just looking for the opinion of others about whether it is or isn't...and why the others think that way.

Oh look, another leftist loon excuse to bash Christians. How original.

Okay.

But my point is that any comment about the existence or non-existence of gods...or the likelihood of the existence or non-existence of gods...

...essentially is a guess.

That is an important point...if correct.

Just looking for the opinion of others about whether it is or isn't...and why the others think that way.

You do know there is a difference between having an opinion and guessing?

Oh look, another leftist loon excuse to bash Christians. How original.

So...best you can do is to rant about me wanting to "bash Christians"...even though nothing of what I wrote does that in any way?

C'mon, CB...you can do better than that.

So...best you can do is to rant about me wanting to "bash Christians"...even though nothing of what I wrote does that in any way?

Again, at your age, you'll get your answer soon enough. The sooner the better.

You're as transparent as glass Frank. Let's go over the check list, shall we?

1. Leftist loon makes a thread challenging others to prove the existence of God. Check.

2. See 1.

I do not see why either side is "sure."

Ditto. It can't be proven nor disproven that a god/gods do or do not exist.

I like the cosmology of the indigenous ppl where we live. The Anishinaabeg (Ojibwe) refer to Gichi-Manidoo, which we Europeans translate to "Great Spirit" and think of as God. However, the concept is far more complicated. The meaning assigned to the term is more accurately translated to "great mystery" because it's acknowledged that we cannot know for sure. Almost all that we see, hear, touch, interact with contains this mystery. That's reflected in the language, as the verbs indicate whether something is animate (possesses mystery/spirit) or inanimate. It gets even more complex as the cosmology includes our place within all that is here, rather than the more Western way of considering ppl as somehow distinct and part from creation, looking on and discussing it as though we are in a different room.

Ditto. It can't be proven nor disproven that a god/gods do or do not exist.

I like the cosmology of the indigenous ppl where we live. The Anishinaabeg (Ojibwe) refer to Gichi-Manidoo, which we Europeans translate to "Great Spirit" and think of as God. However, the concept is far more complicated. The meaning assigned to the term is more accurately translated to "great mystery" because it's acknowledged that we cannot know for sure. Almost all that we see, hear, touch, interact with contains this mystery. That's reflected in the language, as the verbs indicate whether something is animate (possesses mystery/spirit) or inanimate. It gets even more complex as the cosmology includes our place within all that is here, rather than the more Western way of considering ppl as somehow distinct and part from creation, looking on and discussing it as though we are in a different room.

Sure it can.

Back