The Spotify circus

Spotify is a private company; they’re under no obligation to platform anybody.

So while this campaign doesn’t breach Rogan’s First Amendment rights, it is a clear stand against the cultural norm of free speech.

The WHITE HOUSE is now encouraging Spotify to take “further action” against Joe Rogan’s podcast.

This is no longer a debate about a private company.

This is the WHITE HOUSE telling a private company to police content.

The First Amendment forbids this!

And those standing passionately against speech—a growing list that includes Joni Mitchell, Harry and Megan, the comedian Stewart Lee, the singer India Arie, and Young’s old bandmates, Crosby, Stills and Nash—are all apparently liberals.

Strange, that.

I have been watching Winston Marshall lately, he has a good head on his shoulders.

Spotify Needs Joe Rogan

iu

Disappointing margins and subscriber forecasts sink stocks and show why streaming platforms need podcast listeners.

It is unclear if Spotify Technology is feeling any business impact from the Joe Rogan controversy so far. It is clear why the streaming platform is unlikely to pull the plug on him.

The streaming platform’s outlook that was included with its fourth-quarter results late Wednesday left the question of the controversy’s impact unanswered.

Spotify’s projection of adding 3 million paid subscribers in the current quarter was 1 million shy of Wall Street’s forecasts. But it was identical to the 3 million added in last year’s first quarter, and in line with long-term trends showing the first quarter of the year to be the company’s weakest seasonal period for growth. The company’s revenue projection for the period was in line with analysts’ forecasts.

An unforgiving market mood didn’t help. Facebook parent Meta Platforms shed one-quarter of its massive market value after reporting its first-ever decline in daily active users.

Spotify executives said on the company’s earnings call that they expect a “favorable gross-margin trend” this year similar to 2021, when that key metric grew to 26.8% from 25.6% the previous year.

Indeed, Wall Street expects Spotify’s gross margin line to keep expanding, hitting close to 30% in 2024. And that reflects why the company’s sharp pivot to podcasts that began in 2020 is so important.

Unlike recorded music—which is controlled by three large labels with a lot of leverage over royalty rates—podcasts live in an unstructured market that still has a lot of untapped advertising potential.

Spotify’s business needs all the podcasters it can get. Especially ones like Rogan, who draws listeners by the millions.

Facebook has now shown a stark example of how investors treat technology platforms with shrinking user bases.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/spotify-needs-joe-rogan-and-music-fans-11643912174

Jon Stewart weighs into Spotify controversy, says artists pulling music over Joe Rogan are making a 'mistake'

Jon Stewart believes the musicians boycotting Spotify over Joe Rogan are overreacting.

The former "Daily Show" host shared his hot take on musicians Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, David Crosby, Stephen Stills, and more who have requested their music be removed from the streaming platform on a recent episode of his podcast "The Problem with Jon Stewart."

"First of all, I love Neil Young and I love Neil Young's music but the idea that it was worth $4 billion in value to Spotify caught me off guard," Stewart said. "When he pulled his music off of Spotify and Spotify went that I was like, hm, that didn't seem right."

Stewart said he doesn't think Joe Rogan is an "ideologue in any way."

His advice to artists is: "Don't leave, don't abandon, don't censor, engage."

"We all exist in this world and on this planet," Stewart said. "But this overreaction to Rogan, I think, is a mistake."

He went on to call the musicians' reactions to Rogan's comments about the coronavirus "overblown."

https://www.foxbusiness.com/entertainment/jon-stewart-spotify-controversy-artists-pulling-music-joe-rogan-mistake.amp

Neil's not missing much

How much money do artists make streaming music on the platform? Artists are reportedly paid a fraction of a cent per stream.

Young has so far been joined by Joni Mitchell, Graham Nash, India.Arie and Nils Lofgren.

Questions have arisen regarding just how much these musicians stand to lose — and just how much they made in the first place.

Spotify has not publicly shared how much artists get for streaming music on the platform, but Business Insider reports that the streamer shells out $.0033-$.0054 per stream — meaning a song could have to be streamed three times for an artist to make a penny.

However, low payouts don't have a negative effect on all artists, as Top Dollar published a 2021 "Rich List" for the streamer, pointing out that rapper Drake earned an estimated $52.5 million from the platform with a total of 21.5 billion streams.

But he's young and successful, an Drake's fans rely on digital streaming. Many of the boycotters are over 80, and their aging fan base tends to listen to CDs or vinyl copies of decades-old hits that were purchased long ago.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/how-much-money-do-artists-make-streaming-music-on-spotify

This is a great point to wonder how long JPP will be allowed to exist as a Free Mind Spot.

Not much longer I think.

It’s unclear why the episodes in question were pulled, and representatives for Rogan and Spotify did not respond to Rolling Stone‘s requests for comments. However, eagle-eyed fans of the controversial podcast on Reddit observed that many of the deleted episodes contained racial slurs, ableist language and other content that could be deemed insensitive. Users noted episodes featuring Tom Segura and Greg Fitzsimmons were likely removed for usage of the n-word. (The repeated usage of racially charged language on the Joe Rogan Experience led singer-songwriter India Arie to pull her music from Spotify earlier this week.)
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/why-did-joe-rogan-experience-060546902.html

I hope Joe Rogan thinks it was worth it....a lot of people warned him..... he really should have known better than to take the money.

Looks like propagandists indulging in wishful thinking to me.

It could be, I dont know enough about the subject to evaluate the argument, but I do know that I no longer listen to him because I dont do spotify. I was an occasional listener before he grabbed the money.

It could be, I dont know enough about the subject to evaluate the argument, but I do know that I no longer listen to him because I dont do spotify. I was an occasional listener before he grabbed the money.

Then your opinion hardly matters.

Back