The stock market nightmare is over (SEC stiffens rules on 'naked' short selling)

"Goes to show you we need regulation. Cant trust libertarian capitalism. To many greedy people."

Definitely agree.

Funny, given that it was government interference that led to this mess. It was the politicians that unraveled Glass Steagall, because in their infinite wisdom... more people should own homes... regardless of whether or not they could afford to make payments on those homes.

Funny, given that it was government interference that led to this mess. It was the politicians that unraveled Glass Steagall, because in their infinite wisdom... more people should own homes... regardless of whether or not they could afford to make payments on those homes.

at the behest of finiancial lobbiests no doubt.

Do you actually think our govt would take this kind of action without the prober "business drivers " ?

Hell some lobbyist probably wrote the bill.

Super you know we need regulation. Come on your in the investment world. If there wasn't regulation you stockbrokers would be stealing the pensions from retired veterans.

Didn't the Community Reinvestment Act force banks to prove they were serving the entire community?

I mean, the biggest problem was the subprime mortgages. And someone would have pressured banks to make loans to people who would normally not have been able to get a loan.

I mean, the biggest problem was the subprime mortgages. And someone would have pressured banks to make loans to people who would normally not have been able to get a loan.

the market and the banks did this to make more short term money. Planning for the next quarter only has become a national issue in many areas.

the market and the banks did this to make more short term money. Planning for the next quarter only has become a national issue in many areas.

The push to loan money to people who would not normally qualify was not done by bankers. They were the people who hated the idea.

they steal it daily, it happened to my moms bf.
Churn and burn cab drivers posing as financial advisors. We need the sec on roids to do an enron type of sox regulation and split duties to safen uprhis shit hole the BROKERS got us in.

Let me get this straight. It was government interference in the form of eliminating previous government regulation that led to this mess as opposed to the actual player that took advantage of the government lessening its prior regulations?

Is that it?

That makes no sense.

Let me get this straight. It was government interference in the form of eliminating previous government regulation that led to this mess as opposed to the actual player that took advantage of the government lessening its prior regulations?

Is that it?

That makes no sense.

Well said.

Super you know we need regulation. Come on your in the investment world. If there wasn't regulation you stockbrokers would be stealing the pensions from retired veterans.

I did not say we didn't need regulation. We HAD the regulation. Right up until the point that the POLITICIANS decided that more people should own homes. THEY took away the regulations that were in place.

That doesn't mean that Wall Street, lenders and borrowers are also not to blame, but I am getting quite sick of the sanctimonious crap spewing forth from the resident idiots in DC. NONE of this would have occured if not for their interference in yet one more thing they have no capacity to understand.

Didn't the Community Reinvestment Act force banks to prove they were serving the entire community?

That and the Fair Lending act of 1995. Both served the politicians idiocy quite well... and led us down the path on which we now find ourselves bogged down.

Is that it?

That makes no sense.

I did not say that others did not share in the blame for this mess. But NONE of this could have happened if the idiots in DC hadn't eliminated Glass Steagall, implemented the Fair Lending Act, and kept rates well below historic lows for several years.

That and the Fair Lending act of 1995. Both served the politicians idiocy quite well... and led us down the path on which we now find ourselves bogged down.

Ahh it only takes the roof crashing down on some to convince them that they should have listened to uscitizen all these years :clink:

I did not say that others did not share in the blame for this mess. But NONE of this could have happened if the idiots in DC hadn't eliminated Glass Steagall, implemented the Fair Lending Act, and kept rates well below historic lows for several years.

Bullshit. You said government was to blame in response to Darla's statement that this whole episode shows that we need more regulation. As if government regulation were the cause of this problem, not the solution.

Basically, you said that government interference by eliminating previous regulation were to blame and that additional regulation was not necessary to fix the problem.

You may have meant something else, but that's how it reads.

Additionally, the Fair Lending Act has absolutely nothing to do with this mess at all.

We can spread blame around all we want, but the bottom line here is that the market needs to be regulated. Look what happened to the five firms that the SEC gave debt to capital ratio exemptions to in 2004. They are (were) Goldman, Merrill, Lehman, Bear Stearns, and Morgan Stanley. Three are belly up and are bringing others down with them.

Regulation isn't the problem.

Bullshit. You said government was to blame in response to Darla's statement that this whole episode shows that we need more regulation. As if government regulation were the cause of this problem, not the solution.

Basically, you said that government interference by eliminating previous regulation were to blame and that additional regulation was not necessary to fix the problem.

Additionally, the Fair Lending Act has absolutely nothing to do with this mess at all.

We can spread blame around all we want, but the bottom line here is that the market needs to be regulated. Look what happened to the five firms that the SEC gave debt to capital ratio exemptions to in 2004. They are (were) Goldman, Merrill, Lehman, Bear Stearns, and Morgan Stanley. Three are belly up and are bringing others down with them.

You know what is funny DH…I was quoting Chap in that post, and just saying that I agree. But I don’t think SF realized I was quoting Chap either, or he might not have come after it…Chap is considered one of the “big guns” on economics on this board, and I’m just a liberal…and a girl!

But…I structured my post that way purposefully. I was expecting to catch an epic or an RS, but then, along came SF.

Bullshit Dungmeister.... My comment was directed at the portion stating that it was Libertarian Capitalism that caused this failure. This failure never would have occured if the idiots in DC hadn't fucked around with Glass Steagall.

As I stated, it is government interference that caused this mess. The regulations you morons are harping on and on about were ALREADY in place.

As for this part....

"Basically, you said that government interference by eliminating previous regulation were to blame and that additional regulation was not necessary to fix the problem. "

The bolded is indeed what I stated. The latter portion is just another example of 'reading into' what I actually say.

Bullshit Dungmeister.... My comment was directed at the portion stating that it was Libertarian Capitalism that caused this failure. This failure never would have occured if the idiots in DC hadn't fucked around with Glass Steagall.

As I stated, it is government interference that caused this mess. The regulations you morons are harping on and on about were ALREADY in place.

As for this part....

"Basically, you said that government interference by eliminating previous regulation were to blame and that additional regulation was not necessary to fix the problem. "

The bolded is indeed what I stated. The latter portion is just another example of 'reading into' what I actually say.

Government reducing regulations is not government interference you nitwit. It is government eliminating government interference.

And maybe I did read into what you actually said, but I read into it what everyone knows you actually meant, Chapdog included.

Just stop. Admit that increased regulation is necessary and we'll all move on.

You know what is funny DH…I was quoting Chap in that post, and just saying that I agree. But I don’t think SF realized I was quoting Chap either, or he might not have come after it…Chap is considered one of the “big guns” on economics on this board, and I’m just a liberal…and a girl!

But…I structured my post that way purposefully. I was expecting to catch an epic or an RS, but then, along came SF.

actually you are quite wrong. Unlike Dung... I can actually read what people actually write.

I would have quoted it regardless. I doubt you could find anyone that thinks no regulations is a good idea. It is when the idiots in DC keep mucking with the regulations to suit their political gains that pisses me off.

Back