The stock market nightmare is over (SEC stiffens rules on 'naked' short selling)

Irrational is only allowed on the way up.

Like i uttered wisely on another thread: "These fascists are technicians on the ride up, but fundamentalists on the ride down".

Live by the sword, die by the sword is my motto.

When are these getting turned into plowshares?

SF, I don’t want to get into a big fight with you. You are desperately trying to hold onto your party, probably because if you don’t, your taxes will get raised, and roe v wade won't be overturned. I doubt that you don’t know what happened here.

Yeah, we all know that some dems are too conservative. The fact is, the Phil Grahams of this world worship at the alter of deregulation. And the fact is they’ve been influencing politicians of both parties, by buying them, for far too long. The fact also is that the Republican party is their ideological home. This radical libertarian thinking has put us in the shit hole, and you have some sense of that…more than a Cawacko, or god knows, that fucking fool Obfuscate.

We can look to history to find our answers. This has happened before. We know how it happened, and we know what it took to turn the tide.

It’s time for liberal ideology. Face it, historically, we always have to clean up after the libertarian shitters.

Seriously, I’m not going to argue with you over it. It doesn’t matter what happens on this board. I am only hopeful that we don’t have to actually hit rock bottom, depression level rock bottom, before we can begin our way back up. And it won’t be the con ideology that gets us out of this. They’re good at getting us into shit, but that’s really their only speciality. Well, that and intellectual arrogance.

PS - and I say this with full sincerity, please believe me - the phil grahams and the rover norquists should be brought to the guillotine and have their fucking heads cut off, in front of cheering crowds.

LMAO.... the above translates once again to...

"quit being so partisan SF, blaming both parties while you should be blaming the Reps only. Ignore the fact that Dems went along with this bullshit. Ignore the fact that Clinton signed it into law. Quit being so partisan and start blaming just the Republicans and Gramm like we want you to."

Are you seriously this fucking retarded... you have to resort to Gumby like crap?

No one is arguing that GLB essentially killed what was left of Glass Steagall you moron. Seriously, either learn to comprehend what you read or just shut the fuck up.

I was responding to your claim that Glass Steagall was repealed because "they wanted to say 'more people own homes now than ever before'." That is not true. It was repealed because Gramm and his Republican colleagues believes that Glass Steagall was unnecessary and that deregulation was the way to go.

NEW YORK, Sept 18 (Reuters) - U.S. stocks turned higher on Thursday, with the Dow and the S&P 500 rising 1 percent, after Britain's Financial Services Authority put a temporary ban on placing bets financial stocks will fall, raising the possibility the United States could take similar measures.

SEPTEMBER 18, 2008, 8:13 P.M. ET
WASHINGTON -- The Securities and Exchange Commission took its most aggressive assault against bearish stock bets by stating its intention to issue a temporary ban on short-selling.

SEC Chairman Christopher Cox briefed Congress late Thursday of the agency's intention to take the extraordinary step of interfering with the market's regular functioning. Short-selling is a trading strategy of selling borrowed stock in hopes it falls and can be repurchased at a lower price.

It's unclear if the SEC's intention has been approved ...

yesterday was the biggest up day in 6 years.. Today may be even bigger... If you have dry powder you can make some serious cake today. May be a good friday night after today!!!

I think one thing to remember is that much of this is being blamed on the inability to think beyond the quarterly balance sheets. No one looked at the long term effects.

And yet the damages have not been long term. If the market turns around in the next year or so, it will be seen as a necessary correction in the market.

Back