The Trump tape is "gold" for prosecutors

floridafan

Verified User
Following CNN's release of audio footage of former President Donald Trump bragging about holding highly classified military intelligence about Iran attack plans to staffers and patrons of his Bedminster golf club in New Jersey, former federal prosecutor Elie Honig discussed the key implications on CNN on Monday.

This, he argued, is close to the best kind of evidence special counsel Jack Smith could possibly have for the Espionage Act charges against the former president.

"It is stunning to actually hear it," said anchor Kaitlan Collins. "We knew what he said, but to hear the audio, to hear the tone, to hear the conversation, the laughter in there — I mean, I'm not a prosecutor. I imagine this is a prosecutor's dream."

"Exactly right," agreed Honig. "This is a devastating tape. This is why prosecutors love tapes so much. This is why tapes are gold to prosecutors. I used to have cases where the first question was, do you have tapes? If you do, that changes everything.

We can see the difference between the black and white transcript, where the words are fairly incriminating," added Honig. "How it comes to life, though. You hear the tone. You hear who's in the room. You hear that he means it. You hear that he's actually shuffling papers. And this, to me, is the most important piece of evidence that we know of in this case."

Following CNN's release of audio footage of former President Donald Trump bragging about holding highly classified military intelligence about Iran attack plans to staffers and patrons of his Bedminster golf club in New Jersey, former federal prosecutor Elie Honig discussed the key implications on CNN on Monday.

This, he argued, is close to the best kind of evidence special counsel Jack Smith could possibly have for the Espionage Act charges against the former president.

"It is stunning to actually hear it," said anchor Kaitlan Collins. "We knew what he said, but to hear the audio, to hear the tone, to hear the conversation, the laughter in there — I mean, I'm not a prosecutor. I imagine this is a prosecutor's dream."

"Exactly right," agreed Honig. "This is a devastating tape. This is why prosecutors love tapes so much. This is why tapes are gold to prosecutors. I used to have cases where the first question was, do you have tapes? If you do, that changes everything.

We can see the difference between the black and white transcript, where the words are fairly incriminating," added Honig. "How it comes to life, though. You hear the tone. You hear who's in the room. You hear that he means it. You hear that he's actually shuffling papers. And this, to me, is the most important piece of evidence that we know of in this case."

What if Judge Cannon rules against this evidence, as in not admissible?!!

Simply put, the Democratic Party and some independents are the only voice of reason, the only ones living in Reality, and the only morally ethically sound, voting Block America has to choose from now.

The Republican Party has gone rogue, and are out to end Democracy and corrupt our government, and turn our country into an autocracy!

Your vote is the only thing that can save our country now!

Simply put, the Democratic Party and some independents are the only voice of reason, the only ones living in Reality, and the only morally ethically sound, voting Block America has to choose from now.

The Republican Party has gone rogue, and are out to end Democracy and corrupt our government, and turn our country into an autocracy!

Your vote is the only thing that can save our country now!

Its not just the very damning tapes, but the government has about 80 people ready to testify.

This is a Trump appointed judge, you do remember how she ruled in that special master debacle?!! This judge is a concern for me and others too, with no trial experience and she is not going to recuse herself either?!!

Not a problem, this case is far too cut and dried for her to interfere. The government still has two other choices available to them, so in effect they are home free. Sorry to bust your bubble, but Donald will pay for this, as well as the other indictments waiting for him.

Not a problem, this case is far too cut and dried for her to interfere. The government still has two other choices available to them, so in effect they are home free. Sorry to bust your bubble, but Donald will pay for this, as well as the other indictments waiting for him.

I don't think kenneth is rooting for trump. He's just pointing out Judge Cannon is a trumptard nutjob - which she is.

Bring ‘em on

Doesn’t change the fact that Trump was legally allowed to have those documents

80 people testifying doesn’t change the law

Let me ask you once again to direct me to the law that allows him to legally keep those documents. I would guess that it also includes a provision for him to show national security docs to anyone he wants.

I will wait for your proof.

Let me ask you once again to direct me to the law that allows him to legally keep those documents. I would guess that it also includes a provision for him to show national security docs to anyone he wants.

Sh doesn’t supply evidence and has been shown numerous time she’s wrong.

I get the impression you think I want to see Trump get off? I want to see him in prison too, Trump has never been held accountable for his pass actions and this case could be it?!! Keep in mind it only takes one person on the jury in Florida to find Trump not guilty and that's the end of the case, not re-trial either?!!

I get the impression you think I want to see Trump get off? I want to see him in prison too, Trump has never been held accountable for his pass actions and this case could be it?!! Keep in mind it only takes one person on the jury in Florida to find Trump not guilty and that's the end of the case, not re-trial either?!!

Really, Einstein?

If a jury is unable to reach a unanimous verdict and results in a hung jury, the case may be retried with a new jury.

Proof he showed them to anyone

I will wait for your proof

What if Judge Cannon rules against this evidence, as in not admissible?!!

She would get over ruled.

There is no reason, in law, to disallow it and the last time she went outside the law to try and help Trump, and she was hoping the very conservative 11th Circuit Appeals court would have her back. Instead they skewered her viscously for going outside the law, and reversed everything she tried to do.

This is a Trump appointed judge, you do remember how she ruled in that special master debacle?!! This judge is a concern for me and others too, with no trial experience and she is not going to recuse herself either?!!

She can definitely help Trump still and might. Trumps legal team will be filing all sorts of specious and stupid motions. She can rule to hear them all, one after another while pushing all of them out a few months. She can ensure this trial is not resolved before the election.

that is why it seems Jack Smith has the New Jersey, parallel Documents case, ready to go and file and start and is very close with his Washington State, fake electors case.

So in trying to help Trump she might just push him out of the frying an in to the fire, as Trump's best chance is a single juror in Florida hanging his case out of political allegiance. If that case is stalled and either of the other two cranked up, Trump may find himself in far worse positions.

Tinkerpeach is referring to this.

How much time do outgoing Presidents have to go through their papers to determine what to retain as personal documents?

The Presidential Records Act (PRA) requires the President to separate personal documents from Presidential records before leaving office. 44 U.S.C. 2203(b). The PRA makes clear that, upon the conclusion of the President’s term in office, NARA assumes responsibility for the custody, control, preservation of, and access to the records of a President. 44 U.S.C. 2203(g)(1). The PRA makes the legal status of Presidential records clear and unambiguous, providing that the United States reserves and retains “complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records.” 44 U.S.C. 2202. There is no history, practice, or provision in law for presidents to take official records with them when they leave office to sort through, such as for a two-year period as described in some reports. If a former President or Vice President finds Presidential records among personal materials, he or she is expected to contact NARA in a timely manner to secure the transfer of those Presidential records to NARA.

He just has his own SPECIAL way of reading it.

Back