The Un

Naaah Anyold, Some would like get rid of the UN thinking it's demise will cure our problems, but we are often the ones causing, contributing to, or obstructing a soloution in the UN.
After all it cant be our (USA) fault.

no, i dont think that getting rid of the un would solve all our problems

nor do i think that the us is never a fault.

the thing that gets me.. and it probably more assumtion then anything else, but it seems that it dosnt solve the issues, but rather prolongs them, not intentionaly.

no, i dont think that getting rid of the un would solve all our problems

nor do i think that the us is never a fault.

the thing that gets me.. and it probably more assumtion then anything else, but it seems that it dosnt solve the issues, but rather prolongs them, not intentionaly.
It can, certainly. It's a deeply flawed organization, in some ways. The five permanent members of the SC should *not* have absolute veto powers, for one thing.

Consider this, though: do you really want it to be efficient? I'm not joking for once. Do you really want a potentially immensely powerful supra-national government to be *able* to reach decisions quickly? Just like the U.S. government, the U.N. was designed to be inefficient. The mechanisms are different but the goal is the same.

In the more practical sense, I feel that U.N. debate at least has the effect of getting things out in the open. It's a long, long ways from perfect -- Rwanda's proof of that -- but it can help.

It can, certainly. It's a deeply flawed organization, in some ways. The five permanent members of the SC should *not* have absolute veto powers, for one thing.

Consider this, though: do you really want it to be efficient? I'm not joking for once. Do you really want a potentially immensely powerful supra-national government to be *able* to reach decisions quickly? Just like the U.S. government, the U.N. was designed to be inefficient. The mechanisms are different but the goal is the same.

In the more practical sense, I feel that U.N. debate at least has the effect of getting things out in the open. It's a long, long ways from perfect -- Rwanda's proof of that -- but it can help.

ya permanent sc members is kinda silly

Back