the war on christmas BEGINS at FAUX news!

No slippery slope here. Nobody spends $40,000 grand just to make a nice statement .. and sorry... "Why believe in a god? Just be good, for goodness' sake." .. It is what it is intended to be... a slap at faith rather than a message of being nice..., and sorry...thats not very nice.

Santa? Look it... I had a blast bringing my daughters up with the concept of Santa.., and I also have a ton of great memories believing in Santa... I wouldnt trade em in for nothing. Harmless yet valued tradition. And by the way... many non-Christians make a ton of money around Christmas Time.. Muslims and Jews .... and I bet Atheists too...

Look, as soon as there are no ads of an evangelical christian nature, I would be happy to agree with you. But there are tons of them.

Are all the ads by the LDS political statements? Is that a sign that they are trying to take over the world?

I didn't say Santa was a bad thing, just that it has nothing to do with the celebration of the birth of Christ.

I just find it funny that people who don't believe in God feel it necessary to make everybody else feel the same. The idea of Evangelical Atheism is funny.

Maybe I should write an Atheist Bible. I can make a mint!

Not much different than those who belive in God wanting everyone else to feel the same. THe idea of evangelical theism is just as funny to me.

Not much different than those who belive in God wanting everyone else to feel the same. THe idea of evangelical theism is just as funny to me.
No, they are very different. In one the God they believe in commands them to "Go forth and Preach the Gospel". There is direct reason for them to try to make you believe like them, they are doing their duty.

It is far different when somebody who is supposedly indifferent suddenly decides you must be as well. There is no direct and equal opposite to the command from a Deity to "Preach it, brother!" in Atheism that tells them to "unPreach it, brother!"

No, they are different. In one the God they believe in commands them to "Go forth and Preach the Gospel". There is direct reason for them to try to make you believe like them, they are doing their duty.

It is far different when somebody who is supposedly indifferent suddenly decides you must be as well.

If an atheist believes that religion is a means of manipulation of the populace, then wanting to spread the word isn't evil, its for the good of man.

If an atheist believes that their way of believing is truly the enlightened way, then spreading the word is helping people gain enlightenment.

Or if the atheist sees evangelical religions as dangerous, this sort of advertising is fighting that evil.

Just because they make no claim of a command from god does not make their message less important.

In fact, encouraging people to do good without the threat of eternal damnation seems to me to be the more noble cause.

If an atheist believes that religion is a means of manipulation of the populace, then wanting to spread the word isn't evil, its for the good of man.

If an atheist believes that their way of believing is truly the enlightened way, then spreading the word is helping people gain enlightenment.

Or if the atheist sees evangelical religions as dangerous, this sort of advertising is fighting that evil.

Just because they make no claim of a command from god does not make their message less important.

In fact, encouraging people to do good without the threat of eternal damnation seems to me to be the more noble cause.
Why would they need to be enlightened?

As I said, I find it funny. If they believe themselves to be Enlightened in the religious sense then they believe themselves a Buddha and are not Atheists, per se.

I never told them to stop, just that I find it funny that they find the spread of indifference to be vital enough to purchase ads.

Neither are "more noble", both are just Faiths. In order to become evangelical you must be certain and use Faith. You take what is simply, for most, a belief that they are worshiping a myth and turn it into the "Truth" that must be spread.

However being certain that you are right, so certain that you must "Enlighten" others is a Faith.

faith in science, well perhaps. but a different issue from being nice to others.

the only one I know of claiming to be an evangelical atheist was anyoldIron.

Me , I just let people be stupid if they want to as long as their beliefs do not infringe on me.

faith in science, well perhaps. but a different issue from being nice to others.

the only one I know of claiming to be an evangelical atheist was anyoldIron.

Me , I just let people be stupid if they want to as long as their beliefs do not infringe on me.
Hence my allusion to "Evangelical Atheism" as a religion, but not all atheists are religious. Nor are they all scientists, many do not even have the capacity to understand the scientific method.

The reality is, people who are working to convince you to not believe in God are so certain of the "Rightness" of their belief, their Faith, that they must convince others to believe the same. They make a religion of their belief.

Hence my allusion to "Evangelical Atheism" as a religion, but not all atheists are religious. Nor are they all scientists.

true but I believe a lot more in science than in a book written by a bunch of war mongering Joos.

when science proves the existance of gawd, well that is a whole nother story.

No, they are very different. In one the God they believe in commands them to "Go forth and Preach the Gospel". There is direct reason for them to try to make you believe like them, they are doing their duty.

It is far different when somebody who is supposedly indifferent suddenly decides you must be as well. There is no direct and equal opposite to the command from a Deity to "Preach it, brother!" in Atheism that tells them to "unPreach it, brother!"

An athist is not necessarly indifferent, an athist can feel very passioate about the belife and even though they do not have a preacher telling them to go spread the word, they may feel called to do so because of how passionate they feel.

I dont see it as that much different just because a one group made up a "God" who tells them to evangelize while the other group takes it upon themselves to do so.

Hence my allusion to "Evangelical Atheism" as a religion, but not all atheists are religious. Nor are they all scientists, many do not even have the capacity to understand the scientific method.

The reality is, people who are working to convince you to not believe in God are so certain of the "Rightness" of their belief, their Faith, that they must convince others to believe the same. They make a religion of their belief.

In the sense you are using religion, then you are right, it is just a religion that belives that no God exists.

They way I see it is that "Christians" have the same opportunity to spend $40,000 or whatever to put "Jesus is the Reason for the Season" on a bus or something. I don't think there is a law against that yet, is there?

The way I see it is that "Christians" have the same opportunity to spend $40,000 or whatever to put "Jesus is the Reason for the Season" on a bus or something. I don't think there is a law against that yet, is there?

The slogan by the atheists was put on public transportation, so I don't know? I do think that if you can use public property to deny God exists, then the inverse should apply, don't you?

The slogan by the atheists was put on public transportation, so I don't know? I do think that if you can use public property to deny God exists, then the inverse should apply, don't you?

Ahh.....public transportation. That could indeed change things, I really don't know. I would still assert that as long as the "Christians" had the option then no problem...but if not the there is a problem.

An athist is not necessarly indifferent, an athist can feel very passioate about the belife and even though they do not have a preacher telling them to go spread the word, they may feel called to do so because of how passionate they feel.

I dont see it as that much different just because a one group made up a "God" who tells them to evangelize while the other group takes it upon themselves to do so.
And if they do, then they are no longer an atheist and have become the promoter of a Faith. And I find it funny, and still they are different. There is no command to make me believe from an equal and opposite unDeity in Atheism. One is very understandable. If they do indeed believe they will press you about it because they are told to and believe you will suffer terribly if you ignore them.

In the other, it is nearly incomprehensible. Even if they are earnest in their belief they are "right" it will do nothing at all if the other person believes differently.

Even if they were right, it will still matter not even one iota if the other believes differently. In the other it would matter very much to the person they seek to "save" if they are wrong. Earnestly pressing a belief in nothing for no reason other than to make other people feel the same is funny.

Not believeing in god is a religion???
Well i guess most of us are religious than about ghosts, UFO's Honest politicians, etc.

Seems like that definition would also make politics a religion.
Bushites and Palinites.

Ahh.....public transportation. That could indeed change things, I really don't know. I would still assert that as long as the "Christians" had the option then no problem...but if not the there is a problem.

City property being used to advertise a religious sentiment ought to be either OK for all or prohibited for all. I say that claiming God does not exist is a religious sentiment?

Back