The world reacts to Obama as a possibility for president

So the Europeans know what's best for America because they don't live here? Fair enough. They don't have a vote however.

It’s not a badge of honor to be hated by as much of the world as possible. I will never understand why the right wears it as one.

It’s not a badge of honor to be hated by as much of the world as possible. I will never understand why the right wears it as one.

I don't consider it a badge of honor nor do I want others to hate us. I do think it comes with the terroritory (sp) of being the lone Superpower and economic leader. If that changes and other countries pass us I think you will see some of that hatred currently directed at us directed to the new global leader.

you absolutely right. Its like they strive to be hated.

We used to have this guy whose signature was “I’d rather be feared than be liked”. I guess that is the philosophy. It’s fear-based though, and I’m just glad I’m not living in that emotional state.

I don't consider it a badge of honor nor do I want others to hate us. I do think it comes with the terroritory (sp) of being the lone Superpower and economic leader. If that changes and other countries pass us I think you will see some of that hatred currently directed at us directed to the new global leader.

That probably depends a lot on how that new superpower were to act

That's really oversimplifying. There might be an element of that, but the way we conduct ourselves in the world has definite ramifications on world opinion. We have been a superpower for decades, but never so hated as today.

Face it - it's Bush, and to a lesser extent, Iraq. Bush is the face of America right now, just as we think of other countries in terms of their leaders (except France, which I always think of when I eat really good cheese). People look at America & see an inarticulate cowboy whose philosophy is "shoot first, ask questions later."

The right has been ridiculously dismissive of the rest of the world, particularly allies who we have counted on for decades. Does anyone remember that plot they thwarted in the U.K. - the one that ended up banning shampoo & liquids on airlines? That would have been as bad as 9/11, and it was thwarted because of building strong relations - us w/ the U.K., and the U.K. gov't with their local Muslim communities. It's the kind of stuff that many dismiss as "singing kum-ba-yah", but it saved a ton of lives.

We need those kinds of relations with as many countries around the world as we can foster. That's where the "war on terror" starts and ends. Not just bombing the shit out of someplace & hoping for the best.

That probably depends a lot on how that new superpower were to act

Let's say for example it is China. Do you think people will love China all of a sudden? Look at the disdain by many in the U.S. for China and they haven't passed us yet. (generally speaking) People don't like those who are on top.

Let's say for example it is China. Do you think people will love China all of a sudden? Look at the disdain by many in the U.S. for China and they haven't passed us yet. (generally speaking) People don't like those who are on top.

I think you should read Onceler's post.

We used to have this guy whose signature was “I’d rather be feared than be liked”. I guess that is the philosophy. It’s fear-based though, and I’m just glad I’m not living in that emotional state.

Naw .. he just watched too many movies.

That's a line from "A Bronx Tale" spoken by Chazz Palminteri to a young Francis Capra.

Good movie.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/06/04/international/i011854D95.DTL&tsp=1

They are very happy

"has sent out a lot of positive signals around the world."

"He has a very appealing persona — elegant, fluent, strings lots of sentences together into paragraphs," Cox said. "But in terms of (his) actual policies towards the Middle East, Iraq, Iran, China, Europe — actually, we don't know."

"Obama makes history."

"Obama waits on the threshold of history,"

"I've just watched him on television, and as a family we are very happy. Really, it is something that is a trendsetter," the politician's uncle, Said Obama, told The Associated Press from the port city of Kisumu in western Kenya.

"Bush was for the elite. Obama is of the people," she said.

The German government's coordinator on U.S. relations, Karsten Voigt, said many Germans "find (Obama's) mixture of Martin Luther King and John F. Kennedy very attractive."

"has rekindled America's faith in its prodigious powers of reinvention — and the world's admiration for America."

"He seems to be a peace lover," said Ngo Van Hung, a Vietnamese real-estate salesman. "He would have a better understanding of how to treat people of different nationalities and different countries."

Well, I see this as a good thing.

I'm sure rightwingers will be weighing in on the thread, trying to minimize the damage Bush has done. It's always something about how the world always hated us, so no big deal (i.e., Don't blame Bush!); or something about how we shouldn't care what other nations think.

And personally, I'm tired of having to wear my "I voted for Al Gore" button overseas, to ensure my safety.

Back