Theology Question

But hopefully you get my point. "Great painters" are only in the eyes of the beholder. NOT some subjective greatness.

I do.

When speaking of artists, I am always giving my subjective opinion. Everyone does.

Van Gogh, Rembrandt, and El Greco are my favorites...and I make time to see painting of their EVERY year...even though they often are the same paintings.

My favorite musicians are Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Wagner. My favorite singers are Pavarotti, Calas, and Sinatra.

All subjective.

Subjective in this discussion is being used as the alternative to objective.

Art is subjective. Doesn't matter if 15 people like a painter or 1. It is subjective, not objective.

That was the original point about art.

Drop the concept of objective. Not necessary to my argument at this point.

Disagreed. Agnosticism is the default position. Atheism is the opposite of theism and equally illogical.

So if John believes that Superman exist and Bob knows that Superman doesn’t exist due to lack of evidence, the default position is . . . to be agnostic on the issue of whether or not Superman exists?

I don't follow your logic.

Replace "gods" with fairies. Or superheroes. Or magical talking carrots. Am I supposed to be agnostic about magical talking carrots?

No, you are not. I certainly am not.

Now...answer the question.

Either you "believe" there are no gods...or you "believe" it is more likely that there are no gods than that there is at least one.

Do you deny that to be the case?

That's like saying not believing in fairies is a belief.

No, it isn't like that at all. Pretending that the belief in Santa or Tinkerbell is the same as a belief in god/s is a logical fallacy called 'reductio ad absurdum'. Much like Christians sometimes do to the Theory of Evolution.

This is what you do when you have no valid argument. Do better.

No, it isn't like that at all. Pretending that the belief in Santa or Tinkerbell is the same as a belief in god/s is a logical fallacy called 'reductio ad absurdum'. Much like Christians sometimes do to the Theory of Evolution.

This is what you do when you have no valid argument. Do better.

His point is valid. The construction of the Christian God has a specific history.

Back