THESE AREN'T REAL NATIONAL POLITICAL CONVENTIONS

NiftyNiblick

1960s Chick Magnet
I've watched real ones since the advent of network television.

I myself have been an elected delegate to our national union conventions,
which ran virtually identically to how the political conventions used to run.

Here, we have delegates convening, but they're not doing any actual convention work.
All of that is already done behind the scenes by who knows whom?
If you're actually having an actual working convention, you don't start the day at 6PM Eastern.

What we have now are four-night TV Rallies.
You have to go to C-Span for gavel to gavel coverage.
Cable news has more commentary than actual coverage.

I'm enjoying this Democratic National Convention so far, but it's not a real convention.
I used to REALLY enjoy those.

Here, we have delegates convening, but they're not doing any actual convention work.
If you're actually having an actual working convention, you don't start the day at 6PM Eastern.

I'm enjoying this Democratic National Convention so far, but it's not a real convention.
I'm envious; always thought it would be amazing to attend one as a delegate or assistant to a pol. Agree that anymore though they are more like prime-time rallies than the actual voting for and electing candidates. Still, that was a great event last night.

We agree that this one is certainly not a real convention.... I know you enjoyed seeing your girl A.O.C.;) But the rest was just an embarrassment....

I'm envious; always thought it would be amazing to attend one as a delegate or assistant to a pol. Agree that anymore though they are more like prime-time rallies than the actual voting for and electing candidates. Still, that was a great event last night.
Choosing candidates was only part of it.
There were rules to be approved or altered.
There were platforms to be decided.
There was all kinds of in the weeds stuff that a political junkie would enjoy.
Then the casual observer would tune in later for the speeches et al.

We agree that this one is certainly not a real convention.... I know you enjoyed seeing your girl A.O.C.;) But the rest was just an embarrassment....
I wasn't embarrassed.
Just a little disappointed that we didn't get to see any REAL convention stuff.
Any actual convention work.
I used to really like what non-political junkies would consider boring,
but the world has changed a lot in my lifetime.

Choosing candidates was only part of it.
There were rules to be approved or altered.
There were platforms to be decided.
There was all kinds of in the weeds stuff that a political junkie would enjoy.
Then the casual observer would tune in later for the speeches et al.
Lots of deal-making and schmoozing behind the scenes, eh? Have you ever been to a DNC convention?

I wasn't embarrassed.
I understand...

Lots of deal-making and schmoozing behind the scenes, eh? Have you ever been to a DNC convention?
I wish!

But I have been a delegate to our union conventions, and we had actual convention work to do,
not at all dissimilar to what they did at political conventions. It was a huge union using huge conventions halls, just like on TV.

In 1987, there were all of the Democratic candidates for the '88 election speaking at our convention.
I met Jesse Jackson personally. {Poor guy looks really old now.]

But most of the time, we were discussing and arguing minutia with the classic floor fights of days gone by..

Unfortunate you were embarrassed. If you watched FOX you probably saw more Trump supporting commentators than you did convention - what I saw the few times I checked in. The speeches were actually high quality though I missed Biden's. Especially liked Steve Kerr, the Olympic (and Lakers) men's basketball coach. The guy is a natural.

Nifty's point on conventions is right on. The primary system replaced them. Best you can do is get a sense of what we're missing from some of the very good books that we have, e.g., on Lincoln's 1860 nomination and FDR's in 1932.

Unfortunate you were embarrassed. If you watched FOX you probably saw more Trump supporting commentators than you did convention - what I saw the few times I checked in. The speeches were actually high quality though I missed Biden's. Especially liked Steve Kerr, the Olympic (and Lakers) men's basketball coach. The guy is a natural.

Nifty's point on conventions is right on. The primary system replaced them. Best you can do is get a sense of what we're missing from some of the very good books that we have, e.g., on Lincoln's 1860 nomination and FDR's in 1932.
Ok... (You missed the most embarrassing part...) I missed
Steve ...I'll look for his contributIon... I
did not see anything I considered high quality though... (I agreed with Nifty about the good old days of conventions)

Now I'll let you guys chat... I've expressed my feelings about the convention so far... Thanks for the opportunity to do so...;)

As a conservative you should be embarrassed by your own convention's two nominees.
I'm not... But then My family, my community, and my country come first... If you want to chat about any further come over to My tribute thread....I promised Nifty I wouldn't clutter up this thread anymore... And I always keep my promises...;)

I wish!

But I have been a delegate to our union conventions, and we had actual convention work to do,
not at all dissimilar to what they did at political conventions. It was a huge union using huge conventions halls, just like on TV.

In 1987, there were all of the Democratic candidates for the '88 election speaking at our convention.

But most of the time, we were discussing and arguing minutia with the classic floor fights of days gone by..
What did you argue about?

As a conservative you should be embarrassed by your own convention's two nominees.
The only scenes from last night that Toxic saw were shown on Fox and/or her other favorite media sources -- OAN and Breitbart -- this moring. She did not watch anything live as it happened. Therefore, she missed Mr. Kerr as well as the excitement, hope, drama, humor, and history-in-the-making. So take her snotty and bitter opinion with a grain of salt. Preferably on the edge of a margarita glass. lol

I wasn't embarrassed.

They never have televised the briefcases full of cash being handed around.

I wish!

I understand what you are saying, Nifty, but I would not want that crowd actually discussing the kinds of things that have to be decided during these conventions. Doing it the way they do may end up with half-baked...but if it were done with the delegates actually deciding what must be handled and how it should be handled...there would be no cake to bake.

This first session went pretty good...except that the Dems forgot that the star of the show has to gest on stage by 10:30 Eastern Time...or you lose an important audience.

The speeches of the women contributors seemed best to me. Hillary Clinton, Jasmine Crockett, and AOC were aces...although Raphael Warnock did a great job too. (The GOP would do well not to underestimate Crockett or AOC!)

Back