THESE AREN'T REAL NATIONAL POLITICAL CONVENTIONS

I've watched real ones since the advent of network television.

I myself have been an elected delegate to our national union conventions,
which ran virtually identically to how the political conventions used to run.

Here, we have delegates convening, but they're not doing any actual convention work.
All of that is already done behind the scenes by who knows whom?
If you're actually having an actual working convention, you don't start the day at 6PM Eastern.

What we have now are four-night TV Rallies.
You have to go to C-Span for gavel to gavel coverage.
Cable news has more commentary than actual coverage.

I'm enjoying this Democratic National Convention so far, but it's not a real convention.
I used to REALLY enjoy those.

565D2CA3-FB0D-4F62-8AB7-B302FD3EFEBB.jpg

Unfortunate you were embarrassed. If you watched FOX you probably saw more Trump supporting commentators than you did convention - what I saw the few times I checked in. The speeches were actually high quality though I missed Biden's. Especially liked Steve Kerr, the Olympic (and Lakers) men's basketball coach. The guy is a natural.

Nifty's point on conventions is right on. The primary system replaced them. Best you can do is get a sense of what we're missing from some of the very good books that we have, e.g., on Lincoln's 1860 nomination and FDR's in 1932.
Woah, woah, woah.

This is inside baseball stuff but the Bay Area and L.A., while both being in California and sharing similar politics, are huge rivals (Nor Cal folks truly hate LA - LA reciprocates to a degree but are too stuck up to think of anyone but themselves.)

That’s a long way of saying Kerr is coach of the Warriors, NOT the Lakers. (In case you visit the Bay you don’t want to make that mistake). :)

We agree that this one is certainly not a real convention.... I know you enjoyed seeing your girl A.O.C.;) But the rest was just an embarrassment....
OK, why don't you tell us what a real convention is- In your own words!

Yes, I did enjoy AOC's message at the Podium last night. In fact, I enjoyed the entire lineup! What a great first night!

The reason why you are embarrassed is because the RNC was such a huge fLop and a reminder of what a horrible Trump presidency it was.

The only scenes from last night that Toxic saw were shown on Fox and/or her other favorite media sources -- OAN and Breitbart -- this moring. She did not watch anything live as it happened. Therefore, she missed Mr. Kerr as well as the excitement, hope, drama, humor, and history-in-the-making. So take her snotty and bitter opinion with a grain of salt. Preferably on the edge of a margarita glass. lol
I’m in love with Tim and Gwen Walz! They are so real! She cried, she laughed, she cheered! They are so normal! It is so refreshing.

I’m in love with Tim and Gwen Walz! They are so real! She cried, she laughed, she cheered! They are so normal! It is so refreshing.
They are just wonderful, genuine, good folks. Harris chose wisely. This bodes well for her administrative and Cabinet picks next year.

I was impressed last week when Walz's service was under attack that he stuck up for Vance and HIS service record.

They are just wonderful, genuine, good folks. Harris chose wisely. This bodes well for her administrative and Cabinet picks next year.

I was impressed last week when Walz's service was under attack that he stuck up for Vance and HIS service record.
Agreed, he’s classy like that. They are so positive!

I've watched real ones since the advent of network television.

I myself have been an elected delegate to our national union conventions,
which ran virtually identically to how the political conventions used to run.

Here, we have delegates convening, but they're not doing any actual convention work.
All of that is already done behind the scenes by who knows whom?
If you're actually having an actual working convention, you don't start the day at 6PM Eastern.

What we have now are four-night TV Rallies.
You have to go to C-Span for gavel to gavel coverage.
Cable news has more commentary than actual coverage.

I'm enjoying this Democratic National Convention so far, but it's not a real convention.
I used to REALLY enjoy those.
You are probably right but we know the Democrat convention is just a performance. The donkey humping party bosses decided who would be th candidate this time and all you dutiful little soldiers will do just as your told and you'll pull the lever for a kamal and a tampon

It's nice to see real people, with real human emotions, being selected to represent America instead of the phonies, fakes, and cronies the TRUMP TEAM is offering up.

For me, and obviously for Tim and Gwen, it was hard to hold back all of the happy tears last night!

It was mesmerizing for me, and I had so many feelings of elation, compassion, empathy, pride, unity, jubilation, confidence, and joyousness ALL AT ONCE!

And it was good to see all of those same emotions expressed on everyone's faces there- including Tim and Gwen and the entire Biden and Harris families.

Last edited:
OK, why don't you tell us what a real convention is- In your own words!

Yes, I did enjoy AOC's message at the Podium last night. In fact, I enjoyed the entire lineup! What a great first night!

The reason why you are embarrassed is because the RNC was such a huge fLop and a reminder of what a horrible Trump presidency it was.
Yes, the convention drew one hell of a crowd!

LOCAL NEWS

Protesters breach security fence at Democratic National Convention​

CHICAGO (CBS) -- Protesters breached a security fence into the security perimeter for the Democratic National Convention Monday afternoon, and a standoff between protesters and officers at Union Park followed hours later.

Leftists against leftists :yurtandpoet:

Yes, the convention drew one hell of a crowd!
Leftists against leftists :yurtandpoet:
Look, I expect you haters are just gonna' hate!

I wouldn't expect anything less from you hateful people!

All I can say is, go Butt A Stump or something you MISERABLE OLD GOATS! LOL!

We agree that this one is certainly not a real convention.... I know you enjoyed seeing your girl A.O.C.;) But the rest was just an embarrassment....
Embarrassment? I guess you should be embarrassed to be backing Trump and your folly was shown to you last night and will be for the next 3 days. You want a dictator. The Dems do not.

Embarrassment? I guess you should be embarrassed to be backing Trump and your folly was shown to you last night and will be for the next 3 days. You want a dictator. The Dems do not.
I'm not... No one wants a dictator... correct... Think about that...;) By the way , how many times did they mention president trump last night? How many times did they speak about the border? How many times did they mention crime?! How many times did they talk about the economy? People are definitely paying attention to where their priorities are...

You are probably right but we know the Democrat convention is just a performance. The donkey humping party bosses decided who would be th candidate this time and all you dutiful little soldiers will do just as your told and you'll pull the lever for a kamal and a tampon
A MAGA moron should talk about doing what is instructed!

Doesn't get any better than that.

Fucking puppets is what MAGA morons are.

And with a puppet master that would sicken any intelligent, sane person.

By the way...adding to my remarks about speakers of earlier"

Jamie Raskin was boss last night. When he reminded Vance about why the slot he holds was open...I laughed out loud.

Fact is, MAGA morons tried to hang Trump's last vice-president...and Trump actually encouraged them to do so.

Being vice-president to Trump is like being a wife to Henry VIII.

I am very happy with my party's candidate choice, but the primary system isn't how she was chosen.

I'm very rarely happy with the candidates that the primary system chooses.
In most states, you don't even have to be a registered member of a party to vote in that party's primary,
which to me is completely insane.

I would be much happier to have the party leaders choose the party's candidate as in the old days
because they became the party's leaders for a reason.

Which is just one of many ways our government is structurally not as good as parliamentary democracies.
They don't have the tacky show--the lengthy, expensive tacky show--
which our presidential election process necessitates.

People rarely understand my discontent with our constitution.
I have no objection to its intent.
It's the inefficient system of government that it inflicted on us that I find substandard.

Back