today we celebrate freedom, but can't even buy alcohol

Independence Day is one of my few traditional shifts to beef as my meat source. Specifically, large racks of nice meaty ribs. They've been in a marinating bag (frozen) filled with my home made BBQ sauce since the 1st of May. Thawed them out 2 days ago.

Cook 'em slow over a medium heat charcoal fire, turning every 20 minutes and basting with more BBQ sauce. In the bottom of the BBQ, nestled in the coals is a foil package of potatoes and onions. Corn goes on last, still in the husk, about 40 minutes before everything come out.

Neighbors are bringing salad. Wash it all down with ice cold Sam Adams ale.

And watermelon for dessert. (Seeded, of course.)

I'm on my way, that sounds wonderful. Turn right or left at the fire station?

I'm on my way, that sounds wonderful. Turn right or left at the fire station?

If it was me you'd only have to follow the fire appliances - I'm hopeless at barbecuing things.

But wtf no beer on a holiday???? Where's that? I have to avoid that state at all costs.

Don't worry fellow liberals and trolls. I changed my pic because it's the 4th of July. I'll put my MURDERED BABY pic back up in a few days.

Ahhh, what a great 4th. Grilled a couple of filets wrapped in bacon, and a couple of pieces of smoked sausage on the grill from nibbling. Fresh blackeyed peas, garlic potatoes and a huge salad. And we just finished cutting a watermelon. Good food makes a holiday better. Well, a few ice cold brews helped.

Had a trip to the shooting range to celebrate the recent SCOTUS decision (and to try a friend's .17HMR), then fished a little in the pond on the property here.

The rest of the day was relaxing with my beloved and enjoying the Alabama summer.

Despite screwed up politicians and a world gone mad, life is pretty sweet.

Higher gas prices will hurt, no doubt. But its also going to push us to develop alternative energy sources. Its also about the only way this nation will ever conserve.

Back