US cities may have to be bulldozed in order to survive

You will capitulate or die. You will become a machine working in the labor camps to build the leftist utopia of tomorrow.

the second step of totalitarianism, destroy all those who resist. :cof1:

actually removing outlying houses that have been abandoned and offering better homes to people in those areas that have stayed and then leveling the abandoned areas and turning them into 'green zones' makes sense if the population in an area is shrinking and moving elsewhere

populations shift, especially in a society that is as mobile as ours

people tend to move where there are jobs and more clement weather...

You're talking New York City. If someone who's not a plumber does some plumbing it is considered illegal. This is due to the influence of the trade unions upon the politicians. You liberals made your bed so now you have to sleep in it.

If you are renting, the landlord and superintendent are responsible for all repairs on building facilities....I believe that is a standard law that is throughout the 50 states, regardless of political affiliations. Perhaps you should review the case of "Joe the Plumber".... was his state "liberal" also? The point was that the squatters were willing to submit to city inspection to see if the work was up to code, and subsequently pay whatever differences. The main legal precedent used by the city was that these people were illegally occupying a building without the consent of the owner/landlord. That the building was unoccupied for years and falling apart was ignored by the courts....which I feel is wrong.

If you are renting, the landlord and superintendent are responsible for all repairs on building facilities....I believe that is a standard law that is throughout the 50 states, regardless of political affiliations. Perhaps you should review the case of "Joe the Plumber".... was his state "liberal" also? The point was that the squatters were willing to submit to city inspection to see if the work was up to code, and subsequently pay whatever differences. The main legal precedent used by the city was that these people were illegally occupying a building without the consent of the owner/landlord. That the building was unoccupied for years and falling apart was ignored by the courts....which I feel is wrong.
You ignore my issue raised, as usual.

There have been developers bulldozing empty houses for months now. Banks who have foreclosed on new homes have done the same thing.

If a house stands empty for too long it begins to have problems that are expensive to fix and its cheaper to maintain an empty lot than an abandoned house.

If the county cannot afford to maintain the infrastructure there are only a few choices. Raise taxes, decrease services, or decrease the areas to be served. I think the last choice is the most viable and its what is being suggested by this article.

On "Life after People" last night the subject was Detroit. 40% of the City land area has been abandoned, some as old as 40 years ago. Bulldoze it, seal off the utilities, plant a few native species and let nature take its course.

Originally Posted by Southern Man
You're talking New York City. If someone who's not a plumber does some plumbing it is considered illegal. This is due to the influence of the trade unions upon the politicians. You liberals made your bed so now you have to sleep in it.

Originally Posted by Taichiliberal

You ignore my issue raised, as usual.

Your "issue" was addressed.....as usual you fail to comprehend the information unless it's put in the most simplistic of forms. I pointed out how your contention that the situation would apply only to New York was incorrect. I also explained the process that happened and how it would have happened regardless of political leanings of state officials. You immediately blame unions, politicians and "liberals" indirectly....which is interesting if you can prove that the landlord is a "liberal" as well. As I said, look into "Joe the Plumber" situation and see if your assertions apply there. Bottom line: I think the system is not right, and said so....which I believe we are in agreement on.

Now would you want Southern Man to work on your plumbing?

In Tampa Fl, you have to get a $45 permit to change a leaky $15 faucet.
Darned conservative Tampa!

Your "issue" was addressed.....as usual you fail to comprehend the information unless it's put in the most simplistic of forms. I pointed out how your contention that the situation would apply only to New York was incorrect. I also explained the process that happened and how it would have happened regardless of political leanings of state officials. You immediately blame unions, politicians and "liberals" indirectly....which is interesting if you can prove that the landlord is a "liberal" as well. As I said, look into "Joe the Plumber" situation and see if your assertions apply there. Bottom line: I think the system is not right, and said so....which I believe we are in agreement on.
Wrong-o. In many States you can do your own work then get it inspected by the County. In lib states you have to hire a licensed guy to do it for you. *shrug*

Wrong-o. In many States you can do your own work then get it inspected by the County. In lib states you have to hire a licensed guy to do it for you. *shrug*

You have a bad habit of making a LOT of generalized statements that you seldom have the facts to back up. Also, you seem deteremined just to negatively criticize me EVEN THOUGH WE AGREE ON A CRITICAL POINT HERE.

READ CAREFULLY AND COMPREHENSIVELY. I agree that the situation I described in NYC was wrong. Also, you have yet to provide proof of what you say....even after I gave you the option regarding "joe the plumber"....what's the political breakdown of his state? Unless you can provide proof of what you say, you once again make a generalized claim that cannot be substantiated beyond your personal opinion, supposition and conjecture.....so shrugging just signifies your inability to effectively debate your point using facts and logic.

actually, in ca it depends on what city or county you do the work

i ran 220 to my garage with permit and inspections (permit cost was $5)

You have a bad habit of making a LOT of generalized statements that you seldom have the facts to back up. Also, you seem deteremined just to negatively criticize me EVEN THOUGH WE AGREE ON A CRITICAL POINT HERE.

READ CAREFULLY AND COMPREHENSIVELY. I agree that the situation I described in NYC was wrong. Also, you have yet to provide proof of what you say....even after I gave you the option regarding "joe the plumber"....what's the political breakdown of his state? Unless you can provide proof of what you say, you once again make a generalized claim that cannot be substantiated beyond your personal opinion, supposition and conjecture.....so shrugging just signifies your inability to effectively debate your point using facts and logic.

My father-in-law is a contractor and has done work in NYC many times and he always has to get licensed tradesman to do simple tasks, like moving a receptacle or installing a toilet. This causes delays on the job as well as lots of extra cash to the unions that these tradesman belong to.

Its that way in a lot of liberal states. My Dad is a retired electrical engineer and whe he put an addition on his house the County wouldn't let him wire it.

*shrug*

Last edited:

I did post inspections. I found it easier to spend a bit extra when I was done with the basement as they didn't want to approve it due to window size. When I was finished I had them come and inspect and issue after the fact permits. It cost a bit extra, but the work was done, and it was legal.

I did post inspections. I found it easier to spend a bit extra when I was done with the basement as they didn't want to approve it due to window size. When I was finished I had them come and inspect and issue after the fact permits. It cost a bit extra, but the work was done, and it was legal.

one of the advantages of living in a small town (city of san fernando in la county) is that the bureaucracy is much small

the city electrician personally helped me with the project by sketching out what i would need and coming out to look over what i was doing and making helpful comments

My father-in-law is a contractor and has done work in NYC many times and he always has to get licensed tradesman to do simple tasks, like moving a receptacle or installing a toilet. This causes delays on the job as well as lots of extra cash to the unions that these tradesman belong to.

Bottom line: using unlicensed workers to do any type of housing contractual work has and does result in many cases of faulty, shoddy and totally incompetant work. You can find local NY news stations running consumer advocate programs where people complain about shady contractors and unlicensed folk posing as legit contractors. In the suburb of Long Island, legal actions are consistently over the years being lodged against contractors using undocumented workers and and unlicensed crews that have left bad work in their wake. Your statement here is essentially saying that your father-in-law wants to use unlicensed workers instead of getting his ducks in a row before doing a job.....that's not only illegal but dangerous, because if an unlicensed or unskilled guy gets injured on the job, someone is going to be held libel.

Its that way in a lot of liberal states. Again, you make a blanket statement without a shred of proof. Where is the state to state comparison? What states allow landlords to have any unlicensed schmoe do repairs who isn't a licensed professional, and then have the work be inspected by the city or state? Do you know how potentially dangerous that is to tennants? Either you have the stats or you don't. My Dad is a retired electrical engineer and whe he put an addition on his house the County wouldn't let him wire it. When your Dad was working, he sure as hell wasn't pleased to have any joker do the type of work he trained and studied for....especially if he had to come on the job later and make the proper corrections. Since your Dad had no problem with his State license, he should respect the law that he earned his living by now that's he's in retirement.

*shrug*

What, you don't understand? Okay, I'll explain to you AGAIN. The issue is that squatters of a building abandoned or neglected by landlords were willing to have their work inspected by the City, and would abide by the rulings. All they asked was for the water and electrical to be turned on and then work out a rent with the city. They got the shaft instead, and that is wrong.

Your insipid assertion is that "liberals" are somehow indirectly causing this problem...which is just not the case. It's a delinquent landlord.

Originally Posted by Southern Man

Oh my goodness! Isn't California consider ground zero for "Lib States" according the likes of Southie? I guess this blows a major hole in is consistent claims? How will he ever *shrug* this off? :eek:

Back