Wages for unskilled labor.

• Thread starter Thread starter WinterBorn
  • Start date Start date
It's not going to get easier for unskilled labor under democrats either.
It's globalization and tech progress.

If you have a shitty HS education, you better do more if you want a decent living. Not everybody does want that.

the average house is nearly double in size now filled with large screen tv's and computers.
The average dude is way better off now.

Again, your 'college' education fails you...you keep proving you are an obtuse TURD...LOL

The Over-Consumption Myth
and Other Tales of Economics, Law and Morality

The top twenty percent of the income distribution may be living in spacious digs,
but those new homes are not snapped up by median earning families. The proportion of
families living in older homes has increased by nearly 50 percent over the past
generation, leaving a growing number of homeowners grappling with deteriorating roofs,
peeling paint, and old wiring. Today, nearly six out of ten families own a home that is
more than twenty- five years old, and nearly a quarter own a house that is more than fifty years old.

Despite all the hoopla over the highly visible status symbols of the well- to-do, the
size and amenities of the average middle-class family home have increased only
modestly. The median owner-occupied home grew from 5.7 rooms in 1975 to 6.1 rooms
in the late 1990s—an increase of less than half of a room in more than two decades.
What was this half a room used for? Was it an “exercise room,” a “media room,” or any
of the other exotic uses of space that critics have so widely mocked? Nope. The data
show that most often that extra room was a second bathroom or a third bedroom. These
are meaningful improvements, to be sure, but the average middle-class family in a six-
room house has hardly rocketed to mansion status.

Bfgrn, you are wanting more money and benefits for unskilled workers.

Unskilled laborers are worth less now than at any time in history, but we should pay them more?

What exactly is the company buying with these higher wages?

BFGED, no one has claimed you aren't chock full of talking points.

Nobody lived in old home in the 70's bahhaha

please continue your moronic description of how the average size house didn't grow.

You have kids, do them a favor and recommend they do what you didn't.
Go to school and get skills.

Conservatards, keep up the good work...keep insulting American workers....keep boasting about tax cuts for the rich...keep advocating cutting social programs while funding Wall Street bonuses and corporate welfare with taxpayer money....

funny-obama-laughing-republicans-2012-elections.jpg

BFGED, no one has claimed you aren't chock full of talking points.

Nobody lived in old home in the 70's bahhaha

please continue your moronic description of how the average size house didn't grow.

You have kids, do them a favor and recommend they do what you didn't.
Go to school and get skills.

Let's recap...I have provided factual proof from a Harvard Law School Professor with a professional doctorate, and empirical evidence from being around since Truman was in the White House.

And you have provided emotes...

Plenty of highly-paid oil speculators smoke dope and post poorly worded bullshit on chat boards all day.

you haven't proved shit
But BFGED at least you respect the turbo-libs from Harvards point of view.

I could google the average new house size now vs then. But I know it and I know facts don't matter to you.
The poor and the middle class are way better off now.

Let's recap...I have provided factual proof from a Harvard Law School Professor with a professional doctorate, and empirical evidence from being around since Truman was in the White House.

And you have provided emotes...

The professors at Harvard are Marxist though.

They have a reason to lie.

They're goal is a totalitarian government.

They're the reason why these schools are turning out under-educated idiots.

The professors at Harvard are Marxist though. They have a reason to lie. They're goal is a totalitarian government. They're the reason why these schools are turning out under-educated idiots.

As opposed to the school that Liability attended, which failed to teach him the difference between "they're" and "their"?

:palm:

you haven't proved shit
But BFGED at least you respect the turbo-libs from Harvards point of view.

I could google the average new house size now vs then. But I know it and I know facts don't matter to you.
The poor and the middle class are way better off now.

I gave the facts to you. But the 'facts' don't help your dogma or shine favorably on your MBA from TURD U. They just reinforce what I've proven numerous times before. The conservative era is building an aristocracy. The wealth disparity mirrors the Gilded Age, and the middle class is on the precipice.

I can give them to you again, but you need a brain to understand the facts...

Perhaps the much ballyhooed fact that the average size of a new home has increased by nearly 40 percent over the past generation (although it is still less than 2,200 square feet). But before the Over-Consumption group declares victory, there are a few more details to consider.

Those data tell us only where real estate developers are aiming new home construction, that they have decided that McMansions are more profitable than Levittowns.

The top twenty percent of the income distribution may be living in spacious digs, but those new homes are not snapped up by median earning families. The proportion of families living in older homes has increased by nearly 50 percent over the past generation, leaving a growing number of homeowners grappling with deteriorating roofs, peeling paint, and old wiring. Today, nearly six out of ten families own a home that is more than twenty- five years old, and nearly a quarter own a house that is more than fifty years old.

Despite all the hoopla over the highly visible status symbols of the well- to-do, the size and amenities of the average middle-class family home have increased only modestly. The median owner-occupied home grew from 5.7 rooms in 1975 to 6.1 rooms...

So what. What I said is still true.

I'll bet that if Obama confused the two you'd think it was a big deal, ignoramus.

Your lack of education is evident, which casts doubt on the the veracity of your statements. I guess your mother was too busy turning tricks to teach you that.

Now, cite your evidence that the professors at Harvard are Marxists whose goal is a totalitarian government.

We both know you can't, retard.

Why didn't your mom have an abortion? The conservative movement would have been better off.

I'll bet that if Obama confused the two you'd think it was a big deal, ignoramus.

Your lack of education is evident, which casts doubt on the the veracity of your statements. I guess your mother was too busy turning tricks to teach you that.

Now, cite your evidence that the professors at Harvard are Marxists whose goal is a totalitarian government.

We both know you can't, retard.

Why didn't your mom have an abortion? The conservative movement would have been better off.

Your mother surely failed you son.

I bet you didn't even know your father.

BFGED don't gloss over the 2,200
the average house is double the size from back then
the average driveway has double the cars
the house has triple the TV's
you are as ignorant on economics as most high school grads.

BFGED don't gloss over the 2,200
the average house is double the size from back then
the average driveway has double the cars
the house has triple the TV's
you are as ignorant on economics as most high school grads.

And the number of wage earners has DOUBLED, but the middle class family is in deep trouble.

Today, one in five Americans is unemployed, underemployed or just plain out of work. One in nine families can't make the minimum payment on their credit cards. One in eight mortgages is in default or foreclosure. One in eight Americans is on food stamps. More than 120,000 families are filing for bankruptcy every month. The economic crisis has wiped more than $5 trillion from pensions and savings, has left family balance sheets upside down, and threatens to put ten million homeowners out on the street.

Families have survived the ups and downs of economic booms and busts for a long time, but the fall-behind during the busts has gotten worse while the surge-ahead during the booms has stalled out. In the boom of the 1960s, for example, median family income jumped by 33% (adjusted for inflation). But the boom of the 2000s resulted in an almost-imperceptible 1.6% increase for the typical family. While Wall Street executives and others who owned lots of stock celebrated how good the recovery was for them, middle class families were left empty-handed.

The crisis facing the middle class started more than a generation ago. Even as productivity rose, the wages of the average fully-employed male have been flat since the 1970s.

But core expenses kept going up. By the early 2000s, families were spending twice as much (adjusted for inflation) on mortgages than they did a generation ago -- for a house that was, on average, only ten percent bigger and 25 years older. They also had to pay twice as much to hang on to their health insurance.

To cope, millions of families put a second parent into the workforce. But higher housing and medical costs combined with new expenses for child care, the costs of a second car to get to work and higher taxes combined to squeeze families even harder. Even with two incomes, they tightened their belts. Families today spend less than they did a generation ago on food, clothing, furniture, appliances, and other flexible purchases -- but it hasn't been enough to save them. Today's families have spent all their income, have spent all their savings, and have gone into debt to pay for college, to cover serious medical problems, and just to stay afloat a little while longer.

Through it all, families never asked for a handout from anyone, especially Washington. They were left to go on their own, working harder, squeezing nickels, and taking care of themselves. But their economic boats have been taking on water for years, and now the crisis has swamped millions of middle class families.

The contrast with the big banks could not be sharper. While the middle class has been caught in an economic vise, the financial industry that was supposed to serve them has prospered at their expense. Consumer banking -- selling debt to middle class families -- has been a gold mine. Boring banking has given way to creative banking, and the industry has generated tens of billions of dollars annually in fees made possible by deceptive and dangerous terms buried in the fine print of opaque, incomprehensible, and largely unregulated contracts.

More

When I said "education" it did not necessarily mean going to a 4 year university. Trade schools, technical schools or even vocational training training is often available in high school.

If we provide the balance of the "liveable wage", can we also require that they take training classes or some sort of skills training to insure they do not remain on the gov't teat?

Absolutely!

I have mentioned before that many years ago I was collecting unemployment insurance and the government was offering free courses for those on welfare so i asked if I could attend a course while I was seeking work. I was told I couldn't do that as businesses contributed to the unemployment fund and they were not going to pay someone to get an education. That was one of the stipulations business and government agreed upon.

It made absolutely no sense to me considering unemployment required I submit a form periodically showing what jobs I had applied for so I would still be looking for work while at the same time increasing my skills. It would have also shown prospective employers I was enthusiastic/motivated.

The GOP-created depression will drive costs for corporations lower and they can sell their goods and services cheaper in the emerging economies in Asia while avoiding taxation here.

America's sponge is squeezed dry.

The funny thing is a GOP-created depression plays right into the idea of leveling the playing field between countries, a step necessary for the emergence of a "one world government" and the people most opposed to "one world government" support the GOP.

I'm always reminded of the part of the Desiderata which reads, "And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should." (http://www.fleurdelis.com/desiderata.htm)

Ya gotta love the Repubs. :lol:

Back